Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Metric or U.S. Customary, what is your preference?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Metric or U.S. Customary, what is your preference?
I prefer metric
53%
 53%  [ 21 ]
I prefer U.S. Customary/Imperial
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
I prefer butter to Imperial, I know that much
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
When going uphill I prefer miles, downhill, kilometers are okay
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I converted to metric, and then I coverted back. Now my calculator does this for me.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Once again you failed to list my option
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 pm 
actually I kind of assumed as much... no big deal... not sure if I could even find my 9/32" wrench it's been so long since I've used it... although I did have to dig out a 1/4" drive 6-point 9/32" socket last summer to work on a lawnmower... Steve - let me toss something else into the mix on nuts and bolts - if you're talking SAE, and you're retailing hardware, at the minimum you've got to have both Grade 3 and a little Grade 8. if you're a big fastener supplier (Fastenal/Tacoma Screw) you've got to have Grade 5 as well. the more you start adding up the numbers (in inventory costs), the more insane it gets. I keep thinking about when I was buying Dorman Products and had to add in both metric cotter pins and metric freeze plugs to the inventories in six stores. crazy! dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davinci

Davinci
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 12:21 pm 
Correct for the "small" calorie. Large calorie is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 liter of water 1 degree celsius.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 12:45 pm 
I said 1 gram (i.e., 1 mL) of water
Ski wrote:
Steve - let me toss something else into the mix on nuts and bolts - if you're talking SAE, and you're retailing hardware, at the minimum you've got to have both Grade 3 and a little Grade 8.
Grade is SAE designation. Metric bolts are designated by Class. IME, the prices have pretty much leveled for alloy bolts. (When I built my bicycle framebuilding jigs & fixtures 15 years ago I used Grade 8 SAE cuz they were a fraction of the price of equivalent grade metric.) But SAE is still the cheap way to go for mild steel (e.g., Grade 2 SAE) hardware. Weird cuz most mild steel hardware, metric and SAE, are made in the same Asian factories.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Another beautiful thing about the metric system is the seamless interplay between different measurements, e.g., 1 calorie is the energy required to heat 1 gram of water 1 decree Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure. That metric bolts and nuts have cost more in the U.S. pisses me off, but that will soon be a non-issue.
Metric is how I recalculate the weight of water when I forget it. (1gr = mass of 1ml of water --> 1kg = mass of 1L of water --> a little less than 4L in a gallon, so a little less than 4kg of mass for a gallon of water. At 2.2kg per pound*, a little under 8.5lb of weight per gallon. Don't ask me why that is easier to remember than just remembering 1gal = 8.3lbs. I don't know. *And never mind that kg and lbs are not actually the same unit...)

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm 
Another metric person here. I was just calculating yardage for sewing and using very unladylike language when my attempts at dividing inches by 36 had a different result each time! (Yes, I ended up using the computer!) I must admit, though, that the one thing I found difficult during several months in Europe was the temperature. I have no problem with the other metric measurements. Undoubtedly if I'd stayed there, I would be having problem with US measures, including the temperature, by now. The trick is, don't try to convert!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 pm 
Some of our Canadian friends grew up F, switched to C as teenagers or adults. They say it took them a year or so before it became second nature, and all of them to a person say that they now prefer C.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:22 pm 

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 1:54 pm 
nuclear eggset wrote:
"...the weight of water..."
a pint's a pound the world around

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 2:15 pm 
but not on the moon wink.gif

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
but not on the moon wink.gif
up.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 9:19 am 
Schroder wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most all industries have already changed over except construction
Not true. Process Industries continue to use flow measurements in US gallons per minute and pounds per hour. I've seen quite a few in Canada that use mixed metric and imperial.
I would not use the word most. Maybe several? Most engineering I see is not metric (aerospace). Have the big three switched to metric? when i worked with them, some parts and features were metric but it was mostly standard.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 am 
Daryl wrote:
Have the big three switched to metric?
For the most part, yes. But some there is some spillover, e.g., older design trannies that are still used. GM started the switch to metric in the 1977. Ford and Chrysler followed soon thereafter. But the switch was component-by-component, so there are lots of cars domestic cars out there with mixed metric/SAE fasteners.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 am 
Ski wrote:
a pint's a pound the world around
....except in the UK where a pint is 0.568261485 liters, or just a tiny bit under 20 ounces! For a country that is "mostly" on the metric system, it is one of the holdovers from the old systems....

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 am 
I've never quite understood US resistance to adopting to the metric system -- but I guess it isn't suprising that there is so much resistance to adopting a scientifically better system of measurment in a country where 1 in 4 believe the sun rotates around the earth. Odd thing is that as much as the know nothings might hate it, they have no problem buying Coke in 1 and 2 liter bottles.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 2:54 pm 
More familiar and better "gut feel" for Imperial. But Metric makes so much more sense. When I was in Jr. High, they said we were going to be switching and math classes started teaching it. A few weeks later, it just quietly went away. It wasn't til High School, when I really got into Chemistry that I realizes how much more logical metric was. I wish we'd just switch already. --Gray