Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Metric or U.S. Customary, what is your preference?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Metric or U.S. Customary, what is your preference?
I prefer metric
53%
 53%  [ 21 ]
I prefer U.S. Customary/Imperial
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
I prefer butter to Imperial, I know that much
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
When going uphill I prefer miles, downhill, kilometers are okay
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I converted to metric, and then I coverted back. Now my calculator does this for me.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Once again you failed to list my option
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 3:12 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Another beautiful thing about the metric system is the seamless interplay between different measurements, e.g., 1 calorie is the energy required to heat 1 gram of water 1 decree Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure.
Emphasis mine. IIRC, the 1 atmosphere of pressure is the temp that you raise the 1g of water 1 degree Celsius. You don't raise the water 1 degree AND 1 atm. Again, and it's been a while so I might be mis-remembering, 1 atmosphere pressure is "standard pressure", and most formulas like this have an implied ".... at STP (standard temperature and pressure)". .... ok, too curious so looked it up. Weirdly, standard pressure is slightly less than 1 atm, 0.986 atm, while standard temperature is 0 Celsius. So, 1 cal would be the amount of heat/energy needed to raise 1 g of water from 0 Celsius to 1 Celsius at 0.986 atm (roughly sea-level air pressure). An the Calorie you see cited on, say, a Big Mac is a kilocalorie, 1000 calories, commonly referred to as a Calorie (I prefer kilocalorie, relying on capitalization to differentiate the two sounds silly). LOL... a Big Mac has 467 Calories... so 467,000 calories. So in theory burning it could heat ..uh...4,670 grams of water to boiling. Or 4.67 liters. And that brings up one more reason metric makes sense. The relations between measurements are way more logical and intuitive. 1 g = the weight of 1 cubic ml of water. 1 kg = the weight of 1 cubic Liter of water. Lol, sorry got kinda lost in the nerdzone. --Gray

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 3:57 pm 
Gray wrote:
1 g = the weight of 1 cubic ml of water. 1 kg = the weight of 1 cubic Liter of water.
I'd love to see cubic milliliters and liters! Seems like they'd be a 9th dimension sort of thing smile.gif Seriously though, the metric conversions are awesome, even though I do most of my thinking in Imperial.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
Gray wrote:
1 g = the weight of 1 cubic ml of water. 1 kg = the weight of 1 cubic Liter of water.
I'd love to see cubic milliliters and liters! Seems like they'd be a 9th dimension sort of thing smile.gif Seriously though, the metric conversions are awesome, even though I do most of my thinking in Imperial.
Derp. Heh.

ScottP

ScottP
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 5:27 pm 
My 8th grade science students struggle for a bit, but, like any language, they are immersed in it for the duration and quickly adapt. At some point during the unit on energy, this picture is on the projection screen when they walk into class. It's fun to watch their faces go from perplexed to laughing as they analyze, and then get it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 am 
I'm with Ski. But in daily life, it makes everything seem worse. It's farther to everything, but mountains are shorter. Whatever you buy by weight, seems like you're getting less of it. Yes, for science metric is easier. I use it at work. I prefer metric wrenches instead of the horrid inch fractions as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 11:34 am 
to be clear: I never had a problem with the metric system or SAE. I learned how to read a ruler and fractions very early on, so inches/feet/yards always made perfect sense to me. I got a French 10-speed in high school, so I got familiar with metric stuff too, although I still can't fathom the Farenheit-to-Celsius thing. my old man used to take me to Longacres, so I even understood rods and furlongs! but like Randy, I think having both systems is completely crazy. I mentioned the nuts and bolts thing above - that's just one little part of it - but stop and think about the millions (if not billions) of dollars tied up in inventory because we've got to have both 7/16" lag screws and 8mm x 1.25 pitch cap screws. as if that weren't bad enough, we've all got to have both SAE and metric wrenches and sockets (and hex keys and taps and dies and on and on and on...) and overall, it's just screwy: my Ford is all metric, but Briggs & Stratton is still building SAE-standard engines. again, I think that paper Steve cited above underestimates the cost in dollars and lost productivity. stop for a second and think about how long it took you to determine whether that bolt was an 8mm x 1.0 pitch or 5/16-24 NF. that's happening somewhere in this country at any given moment every day. completely insane to have both systems!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
touron

touron
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 11:42 am 
Ski wrote:
but Briggs & Stratton is still building SAE-standard engines.
That is because when you mow, you mow a yard. lol.gif Well, time to get in my car and go cruise a miracle mile. Is it possible to cruise a miracle kilometer?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 pm 
lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 2:09 pm 
We were recently in New Zealand which is completely metric, but out of respect for history the mileposts along the famous Milford track are still in miles. A fractional kilometer reading is on the side.
Milford track milepost 33
Milford track milepost 33

33teeth

33teeth
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 pm 
When I design things in metric, our US based suppliers (machine part, sheet metal, weldments, etc) admit that they create new drawings in inches to give to their guys on the floor to produce the parts. I don't think that it's true that most industries in the US have switched over.

Is that a kind of beer?
mike

mike
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 11:38 am 
33teeth wrote:
When I design things in metric, our US based suppliers (machine part, sheet metal, weldments, etc) admit that they create new drawings in inches to give to their guys on the floor to produce the parts.
Just the opposite for me. Retail product is in inches because the customer is always right. Everything is converted to metric during order entry because everything in the factory is metric. Machinery comes from Europe. With this system any advantage of the metric system is lost and all the confusion of King's Foot system remains. A standard 24" size becomes 60.96cm. In Europe they just use 60cm and appliances are designed accordingly. Here they add a little bit to the frame. PITA. PICK ONE! banghead.gif [RANT]The only gripe I have with the metric system is with the ivory tower types who designed it. one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole (at sea level)?? Give me a break. How convenient for carpenters and machinists. Those jerks should get a job [/RANT]

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 12:35 pm 
My favorite example of how bad things can go wrong with metric/imperial confusion is the Gimli Glider incident An Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel at 41,000 feet and had to glide into an emergency landing. Fortunately the pilot just so happened to be an experience glider pilot, so was able to use those skills to land the plane will out killing anyone. The investigation revealed that the airplane had been fueled with pounds of fuel instead of kilograms -- so it had less than half the fuel required for a safe flight.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 7:22 pm 
All my college engineering classes and books were in metric, because the USA was going to be converted by the time I graduated. That was a few years back, and still waiting. So most of my books were marginally useful as references. But I did get good at converting. I was shocked when the current "high tech" startup I am working at turned out to insist on English units. I have had to switch back and forth, depending on the company I worked for, over the years. Shocking to go back to cumbersome English units and I have to convert constantly because most of our components are metric, and most of my interaction with the PCB designers is metric. I fought for metric when I got there. Now the guy that convinced them to go with English units (aerospace background) is leaving and going to a company that uses all metric, leaving us behind with a mixed mode mess. I have gotten used to using mixed units in a single sentence in my electronics packaging design world. Even worse is that I am a thermal analysis engineer too, which is a technical area that is prone to using mixed units in one equation. dizzy.gif I think its even worse cooking though. I would be more than happy to go all metric, because then you wouldn't have to worry about converting. I do prefer degrees F to degrees C though, just because my head is programed to have a better feel for what 70degF is than 20degC. I really hate working in English units. I much prefer being able to divide by 10.

friluftsliv
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 7:47 pm 
Where I work, the majority of the manual machine tools (lathes and mills) used for maintenance and repair of plant machinery are all SAE and can't be converted to metric, since they're all pretty old. The newer CNC stuff can do metric, but it's much easier to do everything in SAE and the results are always better. Designing in metric and converting to SAE has it's problems when it comes to fabrication time..

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 8:26 pm 
When I am in Europe I often to refer to kilometers as miles. For me, in this case, the mile is a unit of variable length that corresponds to the common unit of length in use in the area. Maybe if we redefined the length of inches, yards, and miles the metric could be implemented?