PostFri Mar 13, 2015 2:45 pm 
Anyone with arcgis experience? If so and willing to help please pm me

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 3:29 pm 
What do you need? If more than a quick question, ESRI offers lots of trainings and I usually get good troubleshooting results with just an internet search. Some knowledge of terminology is needed for that though.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 4:03 pm 
The GIS stackexchange is a great resource.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 pm 
mike wrote:
Anyone with arcgis experience? If so and willing to help please pm me
PM sent.

mike

mike
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 6:07 pm 
OK, I'm updating local trail maps hosted on our website. 1- I figured out how to convert gpx to shp using dnrgps but the datum doesn't match my arcmap job. Not a big deal as the error isn't great and perhaps won't be noticed. But how do I change it when importing? 2- I need to show property ownership w/ each layer a different color. I have property ownership shp files from several public entities from which I have created layers. However I am missing one major ownership and need to create my own shp file. How do I do that? I have the Co. tax parcel shp file but need to select out the parcels w/desired ownership and assign a color. Any takers? Thanx

Chico

Chico
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 pm 
First question - What version are you using?

Chico

Chico
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 am 
As you are running 10.2 you have some conversion tools in the toolbox you probably need to get familiar with. You can import and export. GPX and KML. Try them out. You should not have any issues with differing datums. (although I'd try to work in WGS84) And each import will place the data in it's own layer. So far as creating a new shape file for your missing parcel or parcels - if you have the geo-coordinates I'd personally build a KML file and import it. I've not tried it but check out http://kmltools.appspot.com/gps2kml Another option would be to use user Joey's GMap4 Google Map API GMap4 and draw your parcel (and display your other data). Once drawn you can save the data as a GPX file and import it. If you need to convert formats for any reason, use GPSBabel. It's free. GPSBABEL It won't convert the ESRI formats though but is excellent for the GPX and KML files. KMZ by the way is just a compressed or zipped version of the KML. Rename a KMZ to ZIP and open it and you'll get the KML which you can then edit as needed, zipping and renaming back to KMZ if needed.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:29 am 
Selecting parcels and assigning colors - You want to go into the symbology for the parcel layer and set it to categorize on parcel owner. You might also want to set up a definition query to limit what you display if you have a lot of parcels to contend with. There are two options for categorizing, one is multiple which you don't want. If you only have a few parcels you end up not wanting to display, once you have them categorized and they are shown in the symbology window, you can remove them from displaying be selecting each and removing. This is not the same as using the query definition as they are still part of the data, just not displayed with any symbology. You can also play with the color range bars. Select one that gets you the color ranges closest to what you want and then you can edit each individually.

mike

mike
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 9:17 am 
Thanks Chico. I may be sending you some screen grabs.