Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Video 1st Explorer of all Columbia River
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 20, 2015 4:18 pm 
Video. Canadian trapper David Thompson was the first white person to travel down and map the entire Columbia River not long after Lewis and Clark were here. He probably explored parts of the Methow River and others on the way.. Years ago I read his book about it. He was a better writer than most such as William Clark. It's a good read if you can find it.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostFri Mar 20, 2015 7:00 pm 
Very nice film, thanks for posting.

Kirt

Kirt
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 am 
up.gif

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 9:23 am 
Which book did you read? Columbia Journals?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 10:37 am 
One of the best books about David Thompson is Sources of the River by Jack Nisbet, a Spokane author. I've heard Nisbet speak a couple times....he says 'Thompson makes Lewis and Clark look like a couple of pikers'. Good read.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Mar 22, 2015 6:33 am 
JVesquire wrote:
Which book did you read? Columbia Journals?
Vesq.. I don't recall. It was probably Columbia Journals. It was in paperback and I found it at a garage sale and later lent it to a English friend who forgot to give it back. Jinx.. Thanks I'll try to read it. The video makes me wonder who Jocko was? Thompson was sending Jocko and his clan out in advance of him in the Rocky Mtns. and again to build Spokane House. He was there for a year before Mr. Thompson visited. Jacko seems to be doing the heavy lifting for the outfit.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
mike

mike
PostSun Mar 22, 2015 9:17 am 
Nisbet also wrote two books about David Douglas. Both worth a read. Start with "David Douglas, a Naturalist at Work:" Now for the first person to navigate the entire length of the Columbia in one trip that would be M.J. Lorraine, "Columbia Unveiled", who did it alone in 1921. He went to the lake which is the source of the river, bought some planks and nails from a nearby saw mill and built a rowboat and proceeded to float and row to Astoria. The closest thing to a repeat was done by Lewis Freeman, "Down the Columbia" about the same time. His was more of an expedition though. This trip cannot be repeated until the dams go away.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
The video makes me wonder who Jocko was? Thompson was sending Jocko and his clan out in advance of him in the Rocky Mtns. and again to build Spokane House.....
Jocko (or Jaco) Finlay is one of the part indian-part Scot/Englishman who weave their way thru the stories of the NW Fur trade, figuring prominently in Hudson's Bay and other companies. Nisbet discusses him in his books. Here's a brief bit about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Finlay

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Jocko (or Jaco) Finlay is one of the part indian-part Scot/Englishman who weave their way thru...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9tis_people_(Canada) .....................................