Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Enchanted Valley and its chalet - New one
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
elderbob

elderbob
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 am 
This is a new one. It gives more detail on the history of the area. Even tells how they got the bathtub up to the Chalet. Thanks to Rod for sending it to me. It was of such poor quality, I could not use my optical scanner to convert to html code. Had to do it by hand. http://windsox.us/Enchanted_Valley_And_Its_Chalet/Enchanted_Valley.html Enchanted Valley and Its Chalet Written by Raymond Geerdes 1954. ONP Archives. Historic Structures Reports. ACC. No. OLYM-731. Cat No. OLYM 16353. Box 3. Folder 10. Geerdes was a Quinault Ranger for Olympic National Park. His report is reference 3 in Enchanted Valley Chalet History. Which is found under the history section of Windsox.us This document was a "pdf" document which was composed on an old typewriter. It may be a copy of a copy and so on. I was able to figure out most of the words except for the names of some people in the report. So some of the names of people may not be spelled correctly.

www.windsox.us Bobs ONP site
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 1:11 pm 
Thanks for sharing that Bob. I hope they can find a way to open the chalet back up to the public in the future.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Chico

Chico
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 pm 
Interesting. Did they change the name from Belton to Neilton? Will have to look at the map since I don't recall the mileage between Neilton and the Quinault River.

elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 pm 
Thanks Chico, you may have found a spelling error that I mentioned. Hard to read some of the letters on the copy of a copy of a copy. Let me know what you find when you look at the map.

elderbob

elderbob
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 pm 
Hi Chico, No need to look it up. I went back and checked the original document. It looks like the letter "B" so I changed Nelton to Belton. Thanks for catching it for me. Bob aka Elder Bob

Chico

Chico
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 10:58 pm 
I recall seeing other typos, They tend to jump off the page at me. Always have. Was known at work (before I retired) as the go to guy for proof reading. I'll try and remember to get back in and provide you with something.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 11:01 pm 
reststep wrote:
hope they can find a way to open the chalet back up to the public in the future.
1973 or 74 went in for spring break with high school friends. Was all open (except for the ranger quarters) at that time. Went in some years later with my father and only the front room was open. The stairs were walled off.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 3:39 pm 
Had time to go through looking for typo's. Found some (not sure if you want to change some). How to get you what I found. I can list paragraph/sentence, send you a Word doc? Let me know what works for you.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 3:42 pm 
elderbob wrote:
It was of such poor quality, I could not use my optical scanner to convert to html code.
If the document is decent quality and the only thing holding the conversion back is resolution, you can bump it up and thus fool the OCR software. Done that on occasion.

elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 6:38 pm 
Microsoft word for windows, any Microsoft standard text format, or just plain text will work. Even a .jpg file would be ok. If you do not see my e-mail addy, it is: eiderbob@aol.com yes, it has the letter "i" instead of "L". The name "ELDERBOB" was already taken in AOL Thanks again. Bob aka Elderbob

elderbob

elderbob
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 6:41 pm 
I did bump up the resolution. Biggest problem was original copy had letters blurred. It was a copy of a copy that had been written using an old fashion typewriter. Looked like the type had not been cleaned for a long time. So you could not even read some of the letters by looking at the document.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 pm 
elderbob wrote:
Microsoft word for windows, any Microsoft standard text format, or just plain text will work. Even a .jpg file would be ok. If you do not see my e-mail addy, it is: eiderbob@aol.com yes, it has the letter "i" instead of "L". The name "ELDERBOB" was already taken in AOL Thanks again. Bob aka Elderbob
Eider Bob. I myself would have tried for ElderBob01. Will try and remember to ship you the file tomorrow.

elderbob

elderbob
PostWed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am 
Thanks Chico. I got it and looked at it. You did a lot or work on it. I will get to it as soon as I can. Have a doctors appointment soon, so will not get to it right away. It looks like you are associated with the Back Country Horsemen. I have links to their site on a few pages of my Web site. It is an extensive Web site.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Apr 01, 2015 4:35 pm 
Took me a bit to read through it is all. Yes, I am with BCHW. Maintain two chapter web sites now. capitolriders.org and oaklandbaybchw.org Oakland Bay's is puny compared with the other (which I took over years ago and built up.)