Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best way to replace a water heater?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 am 
The list never seems to end of things I need to fix! OK, so i have a water heater (gas) that is leaking. I know i need to replace it. What is the best way to go about this and does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber in north Seattle? I am starting to detest being a home owner lol.gif .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 am 
Lowes replaced mine and did a good job. I learned a few things by hanging out and watch/talking with them during the install as well.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am 
I replaced our gas water heater a couple years ago. Relatively simple project. It was a couple weeks before brain surgery and my brain tumor was pressing up against my right vestibular coil so I was staggering all over the place each time I moved my head. Other than that, it was easy peasy. If you don't want to do it DIY, PM me and I can provide the name of a guy who is in the biz and AFAIK charges a very fair price.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 am 
YouTube is your friend. anything that can be fixed - somebody's posted a video for it. (like the window regulator on my truck.) water heater = not rocket science. my buddy and I did mine about 20 years ago (in a different house.) biggest problem was tearing apart and piecing back the cabinet they'd built around it. (i.e., "let the next guy worry about it.") gotta love house. almost as much fun as maintaining women or children. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 am 
When mine goes out again I'm going to take a serious look at a tank-less system. The whole concept of a hot water tank IMHO is outdated. Had a friend go tankless some years ago and never looked back. Yea it will cost you more than $299 at Home Depot but.... Something to look into.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 am 
good point. utility company told me biggest energy user in the house is the hot water tank.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 9:17 am 
Whatever you don't call Southwest Plumbing -- ripoff artists!!!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 10:13 am 
To add to not list, plumbing firm from Kent that likes to hire Seahawk player for their ads.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 pm 
ahh... and be sure to pony up the bucks for new in/out connection lines - do not go cheap and try to re-use the old ones. <edit> water damage claim last year (had nothing to do with water tank) - insurance company paid $18K - out-of-pocket additional costs were about $4500. 30 or 40 bucks for new lines is way cheap in the big picture.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 1:42 pm 
Yikes! I know I have probably pushed my water heater to the limit. It is 21 years old now and it is probably a small miracle mine has not caused a disaster in the garage. Need to get one soon too.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm 
I'm kinda looking forward to mine taking a crap so i can go to a tankless heater. As long as you don't have multiple showers going at the same time or shower while the washing machine/dishwasher is on, they are easily the way to go! Everything i heard, gas is better than electric, if your current heater is gas you should be set for a pretty easy install. Note: I learned last year that i should be flushing my water heater once a year or so. Unfortunately that will probably add years to it's life...

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 pm 
Great feedback. Thanks, Ski, very good point. I will get new connection lines. I wonder if the tankless heaters are more tricky to install. Does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber? Steve?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 2:33 pm 
Daryl if you drain/flush your hot water tank (easy to do) be sure to turn the power off at the breaker box first. If the heating elements inside the tank are exposed to air (even for a couple seconds) you will have to replace them. (* another lesson learned the hard way.)

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 pm 
Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up going with Lowes. They send someone to my house to do a bid. Never would have thought of Lowes. Thanks flatsquerl!

Chico

Chico
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 pm 
tigermn wrote:
When mine goes out again I'm going to take a serious look at a tank-less system.
Love mine. Had a friend who was building a new house put one in, They love it. Former supervisor upgraded and put one in. Loves it. Put mine in myself with the help of a friend. Heck with pricey plumbers. Don't ever go electric! They make em so you can install in an inside room. Both air and exhaust required of course. One thing newbies forget even though they probably read it is that it takes a bit before you get hot water since the water must flow before the burner kicks in. Then it has to get up to temp all of which takes seconds but in the meantime that cold water is flowing. I like the ability to dial in an output temp too. Mine has a range of 113 or 115 to 167. So if I need very hot water out back I have it.