Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best way to replace a water heater?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 3:10 pm 
Keep calm, mine was replaced by Lowes and cost me about 700$ 30 Gal tank ( tank and labor) However, I had the lines in place and a pan underneath in place all ready for them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 6:37 pm 
The more I research water heaters, the more confused I am. One think that seems consistent is that a tank less electric water heater would likely not satisfactory for most large families, due to the limitation of not being able to say shower and run a dishwasher at the same time. As I said I just need a small point of use heater for showering. I decided not to go with electric due to my properties primitive wiring configuration. So then I figured I would just go with a small, tank less, gas heater...but upon doing further research I am skeptical as to the efficiency and reliability of a tank less heater. So then I decided to get a small propane gas water heater with a say 3 gallon tank....but guess what, they are no where to be found, at least I couldn't. Maybe I should just take luke warm solar showers? lol

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 7:33 pm 
what's wrong with your wiring?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 7:53 pm 
Well, it's a recreational property and the previous owners pretty much did the bare minimum in the wiring. I have a 10x20 structure with a single outlet with 2 plug ins. Then I have a pump house with the same and one more just below the fuse box on the power pole. So I have many multiple plug surge protector type outlets in use. I have a neighbor who says he will help me upgrade the wiring, hopefully before winter since I plan to live there full time within the next 6 months.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chico

Chico
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 12:11 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
As I said I just need a small point of use heater for showering
This one gets good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Marey-Power-Propane-Tankless-Heater/dp/B00886CZA6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1/181-4026832-5219852

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 12:25 am 
Thanks Chico...I decided to go with this one since it's very portable so great for camping too... http://www.homedepot.com/s/portable%2520gas%2520water%2520heater?NCNI-5 It seems to have very good reviews as well, although for camping or off the grid use, you need a 12v electric pump to apply water pressure. Plus one could still use it during power outages by using a deep cycle marine battery with the 12v pump. Coleman makes a camping model with a built in pump, more $ though, $290.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 8:33 am 
RV water heaters work off propane and/or electric and have 6 or 10 gallon tanks. Might do what you want? Cost may be higher because anything that says RV usually costs more... ETA: Ehh, not too bad http://www.easternmarine.com/RV-Camper-Water-Heaters

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 am 
Yes, that would be an option as well and the price is lower than I would have thought too. I like the fact that the one I'm getting is very portable and being tank less, should be a bit more fuel efficient. Plus it was $118 and comes with attachments and a shower head designed specifically for the unit.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am 
For your use that seems perfect, I didn't know those existed. Nice that the perfect solution is also the cheapest!

Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 am 
I have an on demand propane water heater in the cabin and it works fine for doing the dishes and having an outside shower now and again...pure luxury!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 10:37 am 
Our original electric water heater started leaking at 35 years. The one I replaced it with started leaking at 10 years, just past warranty (two heating elements had failed during that time; the first one 1 month past warranty). "Yup, they've got it engineered to the year," my knowledgeable bro-in-law cynically (and correctly) remarked. I figured that somebody somewhere makes a water heater that lasts. I got a Rheem Marathon lifetime water heater for about twice the cost of the disposable 10-year ones. Marketed through rural electric co-ops; I drove to North Bend to get it. Plastic, well-insulated, efficient. I have it on a timer -- on for an hour in the morning -- on-demand with a handy pushbutton on the accessible timer. No reason to heat water when you're not using it.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 7:53 am 
I'm late to the party, but if you didn't replace YET...Call my husband that's what we do... Innovative Thermal Solutions Inc - Brent 253-830-4550 tell him you know me...Tankless are Expensive! Janelle

Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 pm 
We went tankless just over three years ago and love it. Numbers: It cost $2800 but after tax and utility rebates we were just under $1800. Those reductions have been reduced by about ½ as I understand it so that would now cost $2300 or thereabouts. We had a good local outfit do the job and I would never consider DIY. A big reason is loss of warranty. Two summers ago when we had all the other gas stuff off or not installed yet we were spending 8 cents a shower/dishwasher cycle for the gas to heat our water. We do have a 40 ft run from heater to shower. Lets look at that: Summer. Not so much hot water needed. Doesn't include the electricity to run the units controls. But we are still saving a goodly amount. Will it pay for that extra $1500 or so over an electric replacement heater and in what time frame? Don't know. We now do not have to care for that rod that went down through the electric water heater. We do have to clean its air intake filter yearly and do a vinegar flush about every 12 months to be legal. However, we really don't have to be that regular because our water is not even remotely hard. We can do unlimited showers and dishwashings all at once. (This because we went with a Groehe shower fixture with a thermostat that regulates stupid husband mistakes like I've been known for.) A substantial mistake we made was mounting the tankless on a wood wall. Its a little bit noisy and it sounds like a train coming in the distance. The unit we got claimed a 97% efficiency. The heat going out is almost nothing. In a PVC pipe of all things. We now have a kitchen gas cooktop range, BBQ, heater and the tankless on NG. If you do go with a NG appliance set up the gas plumbing coming in with T's etc for future appliances. We had done that and felt good. The natural gas plumbing is about the only thing one cannot do legally yourself on your homes construction or remodeling. THAT HAS TO BE DONE BY A PLUMBER. Plumbers do charge, BTW.

retired USFS
Chico

Chico
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 4:49 pm 
Billoutwest wrote:
A substantial mistake we made was mounting the tankless on a wood wall. Its a little bit noisy and it sounds like a train coming in the distance.
Don't have that problem.
Billoutwest wrote:
The gas plumbing is about the only thing one cannot do legally yourself on your homes construction or remodeling.
Well, whoops! I and a friend did mine (the friend has much knowledge as he at one time helped his father who was in the business.) One other thing folks need to know. Required gas pressure is higher than for other appliances. So if a new connection you'll have to have the person hooking up the gas bump the regulator up, or have them come out and do it. Mine cost me around 1500 for unit, exhaust piping, and steel pipe to run the gas. Another 250 to get the propane tank and line. Helps when you supposedly are sharing the cost of renting an excavator but never see a bill. (but we've helped each other out with various stuff so it's a wash.)

Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 4:59 pm 
iron wrote:
$15k just to bring the natural gas line from the main road. plus, doesn't include repairs of the private driveway we're on.
For general info many NG companies will foot the bill to your house. If you live in suburbia. It was a T, 60 foot line and a meter they installed next to the foundation. This to get us hooked on their product. The homeowner then takes over the expenses from the meter through the foundation and in our case in a crawl space.

retired USFS