Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > any electricians out there?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 pm 
Are AFCIs worth installing? I've heard they trip more often for false positives than not, but they seem like a reasonable safety feature.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 pm 
Can't tell you about nuisance tripping, only know they're required by code now for all new and remodel work.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 pm 
They also will not fit in a conventional box, which means you have to replace the whole box, $$$.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chico

Chico
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
They also will not fit in a conventional box, which means you have to replace the whole box, $$$.
I've never had a problem fitting them, GFCI's or other such boxy equipment in standard boxes. Takes more work folding wires out of the way is all. And sometimes it is a VERY tight fit. I think your typical remodel box is smaller than the ones you'd use for new installation.

mike

mike
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 8:19 am 
I think you are talking about two different critters. AFCI's go in the main panel. Adds about $800+ to the cost of a house.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 7:27 pm 
GFI vs AFCI?

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 7:41 pm 
No, I'm wondering about installing AFCI in the main circuit breaker panel. If I understand right, they are required for certain circuits in new construction. They mitigate the risk of arc faults, but I've heard they are prone to trip when there's no arc fault.

mike

mike
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
No, I'm wondering about installing AFCI in the main circuit breaker panel. If I understand right, they are required for certain circuits in new construction. They mitigate the risk of arc faults, but I've heard they are prone to trip when there's no arc fault.
Correct. Required for new construction and remodel. People said the same things about GFI's when they were first required (and still do) In my experience a lot of the "false positives" were due to funky old wiring or appliances in the first place. People didn't know they were funky and with a standard breaker they were getting away with it. If I were wiring a house now (Hey!, I am) I'd make sure not to put a room all on one circuit as electricians tended to do under the old code for their convenience. Pop the breaker and you could be totally in the dark.

JPH

JPH
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm 
mike wrote:
If I were wiring a house now (Hey!, I am) I'd make sure not to put a room all on one circuit as electricians tended to do under the old code for their convenience. Pop the breaker and you could be totally in the dark.
I like the technique of putting all of the outlets in a room on one switch (or sometimes two rooms on one switch if there aren't many outlets) then putting all of the ceiling lights on the floor on one switch.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 9:39 pm 
Why would you switch the receptacles? Do you mean put all receptacles in a room on one breaker? AFCI = Arc Fault Circuit Interruptor. They can detect arcing which a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor) won't. This is because a GFCI is detecting current escaping to ground where in a high resistance arcing situation there may not be any current taking a ground path. I'll have to go back and re-read the code (residential isn't my strong suit) but I believe AFCIs are now required in all dwelling areas of the house, which includes bedrooms, family/living rooms, offices, etc. GFCI are required in kitchens, bathrooms, dining rooms, laundry rooms and exterior receptacles - wherever there's potential for moisture. There can be overlap where both are required and there are AFCI/GFCI breakers or you can put GFCI receptacles in the outlet on an AFCI protected circuit. AFCIs are expensive buggers...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 pm 
Our house has all the bathrooms and the outside outlets on one 15 Amp circuit. Modern hair dryers are 1600 watts, you do the math rant.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JPH

JPH
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 8:29 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Why would you switch the receptacles? Do you mean put all receptacles in a room on one breaker?
yeah, one breaker switch. Sorry.

tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 am 
We have GFIs on our all our outside outlets, one kitchen and 3 bathrooms all on 20 amp breakers. Never any issue with hair dryers or anything I use outside. When the previous owner had the home built in 1995 he had at timer installed on all outside outlets. Super idea for Christmas and Halloween decorations, Just a good thought if your building it cant cost to much extra when wiring a new home. You should test them yearly and replace them after 10 years dust will work its way inside in homes. Cheap peace of mind my dad was a electrician I was a HVAC tech so I know a little bit about wiring and safety.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 am 
mike wrote:
I think you are talking about two different critters. AFCI's go in the main panel. Adds about $800+ to the cost of a house.
Not any more. Now selling units that look like a GFCI outlet.

mike

mike
PostTue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 am 
Chico wrote:
Not any more. Now selling units that look like a GFCI outlet.
Maybe for homeowner retrofit. Not sure if it is legal for new const or permitted remodel. (yeah, I know, you are supposed to get a permit to touch anything) I'll have to check the new code.