Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mudflaps, do they really do as intended?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 7:42 am 
I usually take my phone calls outside because the reception in my 1907 building isn't so good. While out making the call my favorite past time is checking out who's driving what in the city. Yesterday there were a few Crosstrek's in the neighborhood. What got me about them were their stubby mud guards. They seemed too small to do as intended. This made me curious about mud guards in general. Which cars had them, which didn't. And are they really worth the bother or expense? My experience with them has been varied. They seem to keep the lower panels protected from rock chips from the spot immediately behind the tire. But most stock guards don't extend low enough to protect the whole rocker panel. Some make a vehicle look more off-roady while others just look like cutting boards just hanging there. What's your take on these? Any after market ones that are really good? Should a person even bother? Just another way to reduce mpg? And this new invisible film that they put on new cars, any experience with that? Have you applied this yourself or is it a challenge like installing window film? Thanks in advance for putting up with my quirky questions. I dig this community, feels like home. hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 am 

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 8:48 am 
BS- those on your rigs?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 9:00 am 
not yet wink.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 9:53 am 
The mudflaps with the chrome Playboy bunny work exactly as intended: They make the vendor richer. They make the emptor think his dick is bigger. They make everybody else think he's an idiot, a pig, or both. I like Yosemite Sam though.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 9:58 am 
I usually have them on extreme situations to cover my legal obligations. hockeygrin.gif
LWB at home 7-21-04 009
LWB at home 7-21-04 009

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am 
Front mudflaps are to protect your rocker panels, rear flaps are a courtesy to the person following you. Entertaining those behind you with mudflap art is optional. Unless the law has been changed, you are legally required to have mudflaps in the rear if you tire well is above the center line of your hubs. This law has never been enforced and is routinely violated. And IMHO is just plain rude to be flinging rocks at people behind you. The blocky square flaps on Subies are Rally Armor brand (or a knockoff) and are considered to be a coolness factor. They are very functional if you get the proper width for your tires. I got the OEM color matched, formed plastic ones for my wife's Impreza, since the Rally Armor only look good if the car belongs to a male under the age of 30, IMHO. The plastic film works great on cars, but is pricey. You can google videos and tips for DIY installation.

friluftsliv
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 am 
wolffie wrote:
The mudflaps with the chrome Playboy bunny work exactly as intended: They make the vendor richer. They make the emptor think his dick is bigger. They make everybody else think he's an idiot, a pig, or both. I like Yosemite Sam though.
100%

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm 
Big bottom, big bottom Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em Spinal Tap - Big Bottom Lyrics

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
iron

iron
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 2:54 pm 
mudflaps work pretty well on bicycles.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm 
Brucester wrote:
What's your take on these
well..... minimum order for freight prepaid shipments was usually pretty minimal from most vendors - $200-$400 usually. margin was a net 25% from warehouse to jobber, and then 60-80% at the retail level. shoplifting rates were usually minimal, because they're fairly large. in the early 70s we were pretty much limited to the little chrome ones, but then the plastic ones came out in different colors, and then they introduced the custom-fit ones that were supposed to look like the ones that were OE on mid-80s Hondas. couldn't keep 'em in stock. no idea what the trends are currently, but we sure sold the hell out of some mudflaps! we never had the naked lady ones, but the Yosemite Sam models were a steady mover. now, if you were talking about actual use or function, for the most part they're pretty much a joke on passenger cars - if you go racing down gravel roads the rocks are going to beat the hell out of your rocker panels no matter what you do.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 3:09 pm 
Cove base mud flaps. up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 3:43 pm 
I represented a fishing lure manufacturer once and he told me a successful lure catches fishermen. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 03, 2015 10:41 pm 
Seems like there aren't as many car guys here as like long ago. Not sure if I'd put them on a new rig since I always get stuff down the sides of the car anyway. It's almost as if the guards were there for show.... Although they're probably a good idea on front wheel drive cars reducing the rock chips on the rockers due to tire spin.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 am 
I'm a "car guy." Can't answer the question in the OP with anything definitive. My WRX doesn't have any mud flaps. it also doesn't have any rock chips, even though I've driven it in some places people might never have dreamed of driving and have driven it exclusively for the last 6 years everywhere I've wanted to go. I had an old Corolla before the WRX and drove it wherever I wanted/needed too. I wasn't concerned about the paint on that car so mud flaps would have been a frivolous expense for it. They probably work good in some cases, and they are required in others, as noted above. Other than that, I got nothing.