Forum Index > Trail Talk > to lock car or not?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 4:31 am 
Car alarm at trailhead - can run your battery down and you come back to a dead car. I saw this at a lonely trailhead, the car was broken into and the alarm was still sort of dinging... faintly... the car had really been trashed, too - broken window, speakers ripped out, doors still open etc.. Also ran into hikers waiting with their car at Dingford for a tow, the thieves had popped their hood and cut their battery cable? I think it was, to shut the alarm off but also disabling their car. (Obviously deliberately vindictive) Finally, on the subject of trash deterrent, the best one I ever saw was also at Dingford. Old grungy car was full, and I mean full, front and back seats, of old trash like Mcdonald's wrappers etc, glovebox was open and full of trash, and all 4 windows were rolled down lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 am 
Bedivere wrote:
The insurance argument is a non-starter. They have no way to prove doors were unlocked just as you have no way to prove they were.
So you are suggesting insurance fraud and talking about it on the Internets. doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 am 
My car alarm turns off on its own after a while, so it does not run the battery dead. Someone does not need to be around for an alarm to work. Just hearing the alarm can be enough to frighten off a thief. It sure works well in front of my house where we have frequent vehicle break ins. I've never had a problem at a trailhead. There is no way for me to lock my car with out arming the built in alarm anyway.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 11:34 am 
What's the root of this problem? People not knowing better. What about talking? Talk to coworkers, friends, at church, at school, at a class at REI, soccer moms or newbies. Speak up and be heard. Leave nothing, but take your friends.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
The insurance argument is a non-starter. They have no way to prove doors were unlocked just as you have no way to prove they were.
So you are suggesting insurance fraud and talking about it on the Internets. doh.gif
Ha! I suggest nothing other than leaving doors unlocked might possibly save you from a broken window and it's a bad idea to leave things that, if stolen, would result in an insurance claim.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 1:34 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
I doubt that it matters if the doors were locked or not. I left my back door open on my house, and my claim was still honored after I got robbed.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 1:57 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Locking is pointless. it's a trailhead, if a thief wants into your vehicle a rock will take out your window in a couple of seconds and there will be no one to hear it.
All you need is one of these cars: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/watch-worlds-worst-car-thief-5252454

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Apr 04, 2015 4:54 pm 
Or one of these...
For_Your_Eyes_Only_-_The_Lotus_explodes
For_Your_Eyes_Only_-_The_Lotus_explodes

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 05, 2015 5:19 pm 
Do vehicles with tinted windows get broken into more often? Wagon rear cargo covers, good or bad?

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Widows are easy to break, to those who know how to defeat them, automobile locks are not an obstacle. If someone wants to get in they will. I don't lock, if i some how lose my keys on the trail at least i have robust shelter of my vehicle.
+1

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 pm 
Locking your car is a bit like locking up your bike. Smart thieves can defeat any bike lock or any car security system. Punk thieves can do a smash and grab to steal easy pickings from cars. More sophisticated thrives may smash and steal garage door openers + home address info from registration and steal items from your residence. Leaving the car empty, leaving the garage opener at home and obscuring address info on the registration will make smash and grab thievery less profitable and are all reasonable steps. Comprehensive insurance for the car and renters/homeowners insurance will replace stuff that thieves may occasionally steal. I keep the most important stuff in a safety deposit box where it is safe from thieves and fire.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
Widows are easy to break
Picturing Hulk beating up defenseless widows.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm 
Door lock and trunk lock puched-out on my very old car. I lost a useless gymn bang that had sentimental gift value, and the very expensive repair job. I always have 2 sets of keys, 1 tied inside my pack; a companion carries the other. I have a nifty way of disabling the engine. Heard a car alarm on the summit of Hidden Lake Peak once... and all the way down... only time I've been tempted to break into a car and steal the battery.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 5:21 pm 
Depends. The POS Outback, yes. No good reason, just habit. The low rider, why bother. The Low Rider

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 11:26 pm 
I lock up car, leave empty glove box open, leave empty center console open, and leave only a change of clothes in car out of sight. Nothing visible in car to remove -- not even a scrap piece of paper. I've carried my car registration tightly folded up to the size of a credit card in my wallet for about ten years, which works just fine.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman