Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I watched that program, and it did nothing to dispel my distaste for Duke basketball. Bo Ryan is definitely a whiner, probably more so than Coach K. K is more of a screamer and scowler.
I concur with your respective takes on Coach K and Bo. Both are great coaches with lots of championships under their belts. UW did great the past two seasons and should be proud. It was a great final. Too bad that too much emphasis is placed on winning vs. playing well. Duke, like all winning programs, e.g., Yankees, 'Bama, will always have haters because they win. It was a very well done and even-handed documentary. I was surprised to learn that Laettner came from a blue collar working class family and worked summers mopping floors and cleaning windows in exchange for prep school tuition that his parents could not afford to pay. He seems like a good guy. Kaminsky seems Laettneresque, albeit more of a flopper, less a brawler. I'm no Duke fan, but I respect Coach K and don't get how anyone could dislike him.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I'm no Duke fan, but I respect Coach K and don't get how anyone could dislike him.
K has had an amazing career with all the wins, Final 4's and Championships. It would be ridiculous to not have some respect for his accomplishments. However it's very easy for me to dislike him and the Duke program. It's not just because they win, either. Ask any fan of any ACC school other than Duke and they can come up with a very long list of reasons to dislike K.

cefire

cefire
PostWed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
HELLO!
Hello wave.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Apr 08, 2015 4:12 pm 
Why am I dragged into this?
BigSteve wrote:
Daryl tried to hang an "excuse" on me, but he was wrong about that and I corrected him.
I didn't use the word "excuse" I used "cop out". And i wasn't wrong. Blaming a loss on the injury to a #3 cb is a cop out. Duke out played Wisconsin. New England out played Seattle. Deal with it.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Apr 09, 2015 5:10 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Yeah, like Bo Ryan doesn't emote whenever a call goes against Wisconsin. shakehead.gif Your team lost because it got outplayed down the stretch. Deal with it. Message to Duke haters: Letting go of the Duke hate will set you free. Start by watching 30 for 30: I Hate Christian Laettner
Go shake your head at someone else pal, I'm not your offspring. I never said Bo Ryan isn't an ass or an emoter. Yeah, Duke outplayed Wisconsin and the refs did a poor job balancing the calls. Same story every year in college basketball, regardless of who is coaching or playing. But I still can't stand seeing the most successful coach of this era grind incessantly on the refs. It's tasteless for him to do so and not very sportsmanlike for the reigning statesman of amateur basketball.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 09, 2015 7:20 am 
Sounds like a very painful experience for you