Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Brothers - 4/5/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 9:15 pm 
So, this past Sunday, after a last minute change of plans, I decided to call bullsh## on the weather forecast and head out to The Brothers for a solo day trip. I've been wanting to hit this one for a while but I never seem to make it out to the Olympics very often. I left Seattle around 5:00 AM and arrived at the Lena Lake trailhead at roughly 7:30 AM. After a few minutes of fiddling around I was off. It wasn't long before I was passing Lena Lake, which had about a half dozen tents peppered along the shoreline. No one was yet stirring. The nicely maintained and entirely snow-free trail helped me to keep a swift pace. I managed to make it through the approach in about 2.5 hours -- reaching the foot of the mountain around 10:00 AM. At this point I was slowed down a little by having to cross an avy debris field in order to reach the gully. As the climbing route came into better view, I could see that there wasn't a lick of snow anywhere on it, much to my disappointment. Instead there was a mess of scree and choss heading up a rockfall bowling alley. I climbed up to about 5,800 ft., got hit by a rock, and decided I was done for the day. On my way back down, I found a blood trail which led me to an abandoned pack. Given the amount of blood it was clear that someone had been seriously injured. I checked the pack contents and found a brand new, still-in-the-box pair of crampons and an apparently never-used ice axe. I scrambled around for a bit, yelling as loudly as I could, seeing if I could find someone, but nothing. After about 20 minutes I decided to just head out. I was back to the trailhead in about the same time it took to come in. Ready to contact the ranger, I decided to first check the log and see if anyone was overdue. There was a comment saying that a climber had fallen but was later retrieved. That was a relief. So no summit, but the approach definitely lived up to its reputation as being amazingly beautiful. The solitude was also nice; there were no other climbers going up that day and I didn't see another human being until passing Lena Lake again on my way out. If you have a low tolerance for scree and choss, as I do, consider passing The Brothers until next season -- assuming we have a normal snow year. I'll definitely be going back. Total trip time was about 7 hours car to car, nearly 17 miles RT, and roughly 7K of total gain. Gear notes: Brought an axe, an ice tool and crampons. Needed none of them. Also brought winter layers but only needed a light jacket. Bugs started coming out in the afternoon so bring bug spray for the approach. Helmet a must.
Lena Lake.
Lena Lake.
Washed out bridge.
Washed out bridge.
Empty climbers camp.
Empty climbers camp.
Debris field.
Debris field.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostMon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 pm 
Thanks for the update. Looking real good for some early Olympic climbs next month! agree.gif

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 am 
someone posted a link in another thread about a mountain rescue near the Brothers. NWhikers are everywhere eek.gif

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 am 
Thanks for this info. The Brothers has been on my list for a while and I was considering it, but I do hate choss. Good thing you had a helmet. Hopefully more snow next year.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 am 
ditto.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 10:29 am 
Thanks for the report. I've never come across something like that, thank goodness. At least you got resolution -- otherwise you'd keep wondering what happened.

chl5629

chl5629
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 pm 
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 1:40 pm 
So did you keep the gear??? wink.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm 
Voxxjin wrote:
Negative. I wasn't sure about the situation and I didn't want to poach someone's pack and gear if they were still on the mountain somewhere. Although after I got back to the trailhead and read the log I was kicking myself for not grabbing it.

Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm 
So you could return it to its grateful owner, correct?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Hutch wrote:
So you could return it to its grateful owner, correct?
If possible and practical to do so, yes. Otherwise I have no shame in keeping found mountain booty.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 07, 2015 9:51 pm 
I can't imagine doing that with no snow. Strong effort, and great call to skip the rest of the rockfall. up.gif

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Voxxjin wrote:
Negative. I wasn't sure about the situation and I didn't want to poach someone's pack and gear if they were still on the mountain somewhere. Although after I got back to the trailhead and read the log I was kicking myself for not grabbing it.
So what you are saying is there is some free gear out there biggrin.gif Still your trip was very interesting. Seeing blood around would have had me looking for bodies, bears or mountainmen (think Deliverence).

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war