Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Dungeness Kayak Tragedies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm 
joker wrote:
wolffie wrote:
advice about where ZI can learn (north Seattle)
Check out this outfit, run by the guy who wrote the first book that Randy linked to above (and when he wrote the book, he'd been the "safety editor" of Sea Kayaker magazine, including writing the accidents column. I did a 2 day workshop with him back in the late '90s and found it to be quite helpful in getting started, both in terms of understanding some of the technical/safety aspects of the sport (and boy it is a technical sport! more like mountaineering than hiking in that regard IMO) as well as learning things like paddling technique in such a way as to avoid RSI type problems. The workshop I did was run right off Matthews Beach.
That's George Gronseth, very highly thought of.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 am 
Randy: Interesting; wondered when something like this would come out. Should I ever venture out in the seas again I will have to check it out. Wolfie, NWAC is great and convenient if you live in the Seattle area.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
NWAC is great and convenient if you live in the Seattle area.
NWOC

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:19 am 
Also, the Mountaineers have an excellent sea kayaking class. They also have eskimo rolling classes from time to time (where each participant has their own tutor).

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I found that the kayak is a totally different animal and that I have no business around one without proper instruction and practice especially out on the big water which is what I am interested in.
I would agree to a point, especially for, as you say, “big water” – proper instruction and practice are paramount. But I cringe when kayaking as a whole gets sold as an adrenaline sport. I was involved directly with the kayaking industry for over 15 years, and we used to joke that it was getting “testosteroned”. The state of the industry today is somewhat a result of a self-fulfilling prophecy. (You old’s cool paddlers probably understand this sentiment). Don’t get me wrong – paddling in challenging conditions, while properly prepared and equipped, is wonderful. But let’s not forget that there are plenty of places in our great PNW where, with an understanding of tides, weather, and basic kayaking technique (physical and mental), you can enjoy very mellow, relaxing kayaking – day paddles and multi-day camping. I used to chat with prospective paddlers and ask them whether they envisioned themselves “playing with their kayak” or “playing in their kayak”. The former involves challenging themselves by paddling in currents and rough water, surfing waves, crossing eddy lines, et al and lends itself well to a more focused, lightly loaded, camp to camp to camp style for multiday trips. The latter involves photography, wildlife watching (with binoculars), kayak fishing, relaxed touring, and lends itself to a more luxury outfitted, base-camp approach to multiday trips. Those different approaches to paddling benefit from a different approach to outfitting yourself for paddling. It’s not that you can’t do both with one set of gear – you can. But since gear can (and should) be optimized for specific styles of paddling, you’ll be compromising. Surfing a wider kayak with a longer, less rockered / less raked waterline is more challenging. As is taking a high quality picture from the cockpit of a narrower kayak…

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed May 06, 2015 7:40 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I was involved directly with the kayaking industry for over 15 years, and we used to joke that it was getting “testosteroned”.
Thanks for posting. It seems that all sports and recreation get testosteroned. I hope that someone here from the kayaking community will keep us posted about a final report for this tragic accident. I'd like to try the sea kayaking recreation again and go boat camping in the San Juan Islands after more knowledge and training.
saddlebag-island-trail-map
saddlebag-island-trail-map

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.