Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Rainier Work Party invitation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm 
It's that time of year again! Just wanted to put out the invitation in case anyone would like to join us. We get a lot of good work done in the Park, have a lot of fun, and there are usually brownies! winksmile.gif If you're interested let me know and I can get you connected with John Titland, our trail crew leader. The first Mount Rainier National Park Associates trails work party of 2015 will be on Saturday, April 25th. We will be working on the Trail of the Shadows at Longmire, building the approaches to a new boardwalk and repairing some winter flood damage. We will meet in the Longmire parking lot, near the museum. The meeting time is, as always, between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. Be ready to head out by 9:00 AM. It will be a very short hike to the work sites. And it being April, even in this amazingly warm and snow free year, always bring a warm jacket, a full set of rain gear, your work gloves, and your lunch. There are safety equipment requirements for all MRNPA trail work volunteers. (These rules apply to all trail workers.) Anyone using an aggressive tool - like a Pulaski, ax, shovel, etc. - or anyone working near them - is required to wear a hard hat and safety glasses. People working with or near a less aggressive tools are not required (but will be encouraged) to wear a hard hat. If you own a hard hat that you can wear, please bring it. If you do not have a hard hat, we and the NPS have hard hats that we loan for the day. Wearing safety glasses is encouraged at all times. Not all safety glasses are comfortable for everyone and some will not fit over eye glasses. Because of cleanliness issues, some people don’t like wearing safety glasses that have been worn by other people. For these reasons, and probably many others, please purchase (acquire, find, dig-up, whatever) a pair of personal safety glasses that you will wear. The local hardware store is a good place to start shopping. A serviceable pair or safety glasses will cost about $10. And be advised that shatterproof eye glasses do not meet the requirement for safety glasses. Safety glasses all have side protection which eyeglasses do not. John Titland Volunteer Coordinator Mount Rainier National Park Associates

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostMon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 am 
Regarding safety glasses. Mesh screened eyewear is acceptable. Plus it doesn't fog up. Plus it doesn't get scratched. So if you wear eyeglasses, you can obtain goggles. And yes, $10 or less.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message