Forum Index > Trail Talk > When did the Sierra club flip from pro- to anti-recreation?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 pm 
RodF wrote:
Of course I can. But I'm not your secretary. I have better things to do with my time.
If you are going to find the time to make such accusations, find the time to defend them with evidence. Per my search I see no evidence that the Sierra Club took a public position on the reopening of the MLH or Suiattle River Road, and certainly not the "strong opposition" you claim. That a SC member may have voiced opposition does not qualify to support your claim because many SC members supported reopening both roads. Perhaps you are confusing Sierra Club with NCCC. I see in your last post your attempt to conflate the Sierra Club with Wilderness Watch, which, of course, are two very different organizations. It's quite odd that an organization OP claims to have "flipped from pro- to anti-recreation" sponsors thousands of recreational trips each year, don't ya think? If you sincerely want to contribute to a reasoned discussion, maybe you ought to call out OP for starting a thread based on a phony premise.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 4:39 pm 
RodF – I’m with BigSteve on this one. I searched for 20 minutes for anything about the Sierra Club opposing the Suiattle Road opening, and I could find nothing. So unless you have something that Google doesn’t, I assume you’re just throwing stuff out there. Rules of debate say that the person making an assertion should provide evidence of that assertion. Otherwise, as someone once said, "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

monorail

monorail
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 pm 
My recollection is that the Sierra Club was opposed to the Suiattle Road rebuild, but I can't provide a link. I'm not a member, but from what I remember, they had the same objections I had: --the new road required destruction of acres of old growth forest, wetlands, and endangered species habitat --the road has been destroyed repeatedly over the past 40 years, and (according to the EA) will almost certainly be destroyed again in the near future. I think these are reasonable objections, particularly given the threat of channel migration. It was a high ecological cost for a road that probably won't last very long (in my opinion). I also think the case for rebuilding the road was reasonable; I just didn't happen to agree with it. I don't think people who supported the rebuild are earth-rapists, and I don't think people who opposed it are "anti-recreation."

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm 
monorail wrote:
I think these are reasonable objections, particularly given the threat of channel migration. It was a high ecological cost for a road that probably won't last very long (in my opinion). I also think the case for rebuilding the road was reasonable; I just didn't happen to agree with it. I don't think people who supported the rebuild are earth-rapists, and I don't think people who opposed it are "anti-recreation."
You! Yes you, the reasonable one! Begone from the internet! There is no place for you here! wink.gif I'm on the opposite side of the fence from you on this, but appreciate your attitude about it. As for the Sierra Club - aren't the Sierras in California?

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 pm 
Well I consider them against developed recreation. Look at the white pass expansion for example. They took the Forest Service to court over it.

Have I offended you today?
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 pm 
Naches Hiker wrote:
Well I consider them against developed recreation. Look at the white pass expansion for example. They took the Forest Service to court over it.
Now that was justified, the White Pass Ski Area shouldn't have been expanded into what was previously a pristine roadless area.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 12:04 am 
In your opinion. Apparently the courts didn't share it.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 9:13 am 
Naches Hiker wrote:
Well I consider them against developed recreation.
Sierra Club lodges and huts Sierra Club service/volunteer trips

cefire

cefire
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 am 
mb wrote:
Maybe this is a California thing, but I figured I'd ask here because folks might know. When did the Sierra Club flip from pro-recreation (e.g. "The mountains are calling and I must go.") to anti-recreation (e.g. "The whole concept of opening up wild places for recreation sort of cuts across our grain,” from the conservation chairman of the Loma Prieta chapter of the Sierra Club)? I was staying at the Sierra Club lodge on Donner Pass, built in the 30's, and it was built so people could ski--they built lifts and lodges. But they also had articles on the resort in the southern sierra (Mineral King) which the Sierra Club was instrumental in blocking in the 1960's. So was it in that time frame, or more recent? http://vault.sierraclub.org/history/timeline.aspx lists the word 'trail' for the last time in 1958.
Sounds like you can only be pro-recreation or anti- eh? Seems a bit "stark"...

mb

mb
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 am 
oh there's all sorts of range for nuance. being anti-building is neither pro nor anti recreation though it does restrict the particular types of recreation. but the quote i listed in my initial post is a strident 'no public recreation allowed' quote.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 am 
The quote in your OP was from one member, likely taken out of context, and does not represent the Sierra Club's complex set of positions. I'll say it again: Your OP is based on a phony premise: a club that sponsors thousands of trips each is necessarily not "anti-recreation." I cannot know your subjective intentions, but it appears to be an attempt to start a overly simplistic black & white polarized debate.

mb

mb
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 9:09 pm 
No, the quote is from someone who specifically represented himself as the speaker for the local Sierra Club Chapter. At a government meeting. Video: http://sanfrancisco.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=&clip_id=22408&caption_id=48813381 Note that there is a bit more context, that they support the docent led program. John Muir says: "Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter." It is possible that this evolution from alone to docent led is based on some experiences which indicate damage.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm 
Dude, anti Sierra Club has a very retro sound to it like something Nixon or Reagan might have said. To be hip in today's Brown movement you have to be anti PETA, WW, or anti Sea Shepard. Sierra Club as a strawman is laughable. lol.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mb

mb
PostThu Apr 30, 2015 5:46 pm 
if the sea shepherds testified at some hearing that dolphin meat should be sold in the us, i'd be wondering the same thing -- what happened? (there's other orgs out there which are against public access to this particular public land, but their arguments match their historical positions.)

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 pm 
monorail wrote:
My recollection is that the Sierra Club was opposed to the Suiattle Road rebuild, but I can't provide a link
I did a search on the 3 EA's of the Suiattle Road and don't see a comment from them. But I do know they weren't thrilled about the repair. They likely chose to not comment because they were on the fence and perhaps felt their membership was split 50/50 on it. There's nothing wrong with opposing, so long as the opposition is thoughtful and reasonable. And opposing a road repair doesn't make an organization against access. There are lots of other reasons to oppose a road, and case-by-case decisions mean the organization is a thinking, healthy organization, and not a zealot organization, which tend to not be thinkers. Bill Lider was representing, or advising, the local Sierra Club chapter for awhile - I don't think he is any longer. So if there was something wonky, it might have been during that time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert