Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > wanna be NWHiker dog...looking for forever home...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 25, 2015 4:15 pm 
I just brought home a new hiking buddy from a rescue organization in Tumwater. 8 mo. old Shepherd/Bernese mix. Looks almost entirely like a Shepherd except floppy ears and some white patches on his chest and toes. Super sweet and gentle disposition, great with kids, other dogs and cats. He's 71 lbs now and has a little growing left to do so expect he'll top out between 75-80. I taught him "sit" in three tries and he's already figured out that every time he comes to me, whether I call him or not, he's going to get pets and love. Just wondering how long it will take him to learn his name - "Clyde." Jack isn't too sure what to make of the situation so I'll be heaping lots of extra love on him, too. I need to get to the pet store and stock up on chew toys...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 pm 
Congrats on the new family member! I hope we'll see pictures of Clyde soon!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 pm 
Here you go -

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 pm 
Welcome, Clyde!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Apr 26, 2015 9:12 pm 
He is adorable!!! And matches Jack perfectly! Good on you to get a black dog. They are the hardest to save. Many rescues dont even take black dogs (the black dog syndrome) so he is a lucky boy indeed!

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 am 
Keep Calm, Good lookin' dogs, Bed. Thanks for the adoption! I've never heard of Black Dog Syndrome. Black Labs are awesome dogs and those friendly, outdoorsy traits show up in mixed breeds too. Lots of good black dogs out there. However, white dogs in any of the Boxer/Bulldog/Pit are not popular with breeders because of multiple health problems. What is Black Dog Syndrome? Tom

Chico

Chico
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 am 
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 4:26 pm 
From Chico's Link: •Tell people about BDS! It’s generally an unconscious prejudice and most people will move past it once they’re aware. I call BS on this whole thing. Go out and get yourself a big ole friendly Black Lab and then tell me about BDS. LABBY DOGS ROCK!!! Just look at Bed's three pictures...notice the dignity and majesty of them dawgs. Dude...if only people could have such royalty! Tom

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 4:44 pm 
Black dogs are handsome critters! Just look at Jack and Clyde! One thing I did find out while caring for my daughter's dog (black Lab/Golden mix) a year ago is that black dogs are invisible after dark. I strongly recommend a reflective collar. If walking after dark, a lighted collar or harness is a good idea.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 11:47 pm 
If Zach were still with us he'd say BS on BDS as well! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 2:14 am 
I'm starting a new club: GP4BD..Good People FOR Black Dawgs Notice, as always, when it comes to "dog problems" it is not really the dog at fault, tis the meager mentality of the humans involved, such as the "prejudice" of people towards our black coated friends. Tom

Chico

Chico
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 am 
Numero uno dog Alexander had a long coal black coat. I found it very difficult to get a good photo of him due to that coat. His mother was a Golden Retriever and dad was a wayward Labrador Retriever. He was a dog's dog. I took him everywhere. When he was three I gave him his heartmate Cleopatra, a Golden Retriever. He'd be going on 39 this year so he's been gone a good while but I still miss him.
Cleo and Alex at the North Fork Teanaway (their favorite spot)

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri May 01, 2015 2:04 am 
Chico, Great photo. A brace of good dawgs. I had to put down my 14 year old Bonnie hound last summer. Still think about her all the time. Tom

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat May 02, 2015 11:06 am 
The dogs that we've shared our lives with will always have their places in our hearts.
Rikki, a gentle teddybear (but ruthless hunter of vermin), taken too soon at only 7 years old.
Rikki, a gentle teddybear (but ruthless hunter of vermin), taken too soon at only 7 years old.
Torvald the indomitable.  He gave 14.5 fantastic years of dog-hair filled, stubborn, cranky goodness to me.
Torvald the indomitable. He gave 14.5 fantastic years of dog-hair filled, stubborn, cranky goodness to me.