Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Will you be able to retire?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Will you be able to retire?
Are you kidding? I'll have to work till the day I drop.
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Maybe, but not until I'm past 70.
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but I'll have to live frugally.
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Yes, and I'll be able to live comfortably.
22%
 22%  [ 14 ]
No problem, I'm going to be able to do what I want after 60.
19%
 19%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 62

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 12:44 am 
I have health insurance with my company, but as a disabled vet I like to use the VA whenever I can. I plan on using them when retired. I work in an industry that is busy about 4-5 months a year so I plan on working those months even after I retire. The good thing is that those months are "Off" season hike wise for me.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 am 
I already live frugally. I would have to cut back even more to retire. If i did not get in a messy relationship once upon a time, resulting in a bankruptcy....it would have been no problem. Luckily no kids.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 am 
Nah. Barring some unforeseen windfall, I'll likely work until I fall over dead. I figure I've got maybe another good 20 years. At the rate things are going, that'll be right about the new "retirement" age...

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 am 
Yes. Plan to take early SS, which is about 3 years away. Working part-time to tread water until then. Retirement would not be possible before 65 (Medicare) without being on my wife's HC coverage. We acknowledge that we are very fortunate, but our choices also helped, e.g., no kids, living well within our means, avoided debt, engineered a low overhead part-time practice, etc. Vibes to those who on are the work 'til you die program.

Frosty

Frosty
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 5:17 pm 
Check back in with me next year...I am retiring on Friday! cool.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 6:12 pm 
I've been fully retired for a couple of years now. Medicare was a shock on it's complexity and cost.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 6:36 pm 
We put 2 kids through private school and out of state tuition 4 years one 3 the other, thanks running start. Live frugally and rode 2 tech booms and one IP boom.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kawi_200

kawi_200
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 7:18 pm 
I've got about 30 more years to go. I know what I and my wife will be making at work (assuming no layoffs) and I know what we can afford. My *plan* is when I max out at work I will put my 401K at 20% and basically throw 75% of my paycheck at the mortgage and get it paid off as quick as possible. I figure it should take about 10 years. After that, I'll just let the savings go in to a savings account. Since the wife and I have the same job, she will make the same money and can pay for the bills, food, and kids, if/when we have some. We all know how our best laid plans actually end up going.... I'll probably want to buy car parts and even cars, hiking and fishing gear, camera stuff. Not to mention family trips we'd like to do. The Boss loves Disney and is already planning our next trip back to Disneyworld..... We just went in October. I hope I can manage to keep my plan. But I will need to get a truck some time in the near future too. And there is a home addition I've got planned, that will also be good to do before kids.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 pm 
Health insurance is crazy -- I just left a large employer and COBRA premiums for my wife, myself and our youngest (23yo) are ~$1500. After the COBRA period expires premiums will be a good chunk more. We downsized our house, so we only have a small mortgage -- so health insurance premiums will be the single largest expense until we go on medicare -- which will be a while. I'll need to keep working at least some to cover that. But I'm glad to have left an employer where 60 hour weeks are standard and 80 hours happen fairly frequently.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm 
Frosty wrote:
Check back in with me next year...I am retiring on Friday! cool.gif
Congratulations! I got there a couple months ago. Planned on it from the get-go, and now reaping the rewards of those sacrifices.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 11:31 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Retirement would not be possible before 65 (Medicare) without being on my wife's HC coverage.
Hmm. Since when are YOU married Mr.? hockeygrin.gif lol.gif agree.gif doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
health insurance premiums will be the single largest expense until we go on medicare
Our rates barely changed on Medicare + Part F. This is still our greatest expense. More things are covered though.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 am 
I am right now getting the crash course in retirement money management. My father passed away last week and I have a durable POA for my mother. She was not involved in Dad's financial plans - which luckily were very stout. I'm doing the research to see how he set everything up to make sure I can maintain my Mom's quality of life. It is a very difficult thing right now, but I am so grateful that he did his homework. He only got to enjoy 12 years of retirement after a life of working to support his family. Luckily he enjoyed life while it was happening, enjoyed his work, enjoyed his family, enjoyed golf, enjoyed trips to Hawaii, loved his wife. He had a happy last year as a sports fan - Germany winning the World Cup and his Patriots beating the Seahawks in the SB - now I'm glad it turned out the way it did. He did what was needed for his family - and he knew we appreciated it. I hate getting older. My retirement looks like I'll be able to make it at 67 or so - still a good number of years away. We'll need to be frugal - but we already are.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm 
Well I'm not adverse to getting older! Beats the alternative, as they say. I won't say what I am budgeting for healthcare up here in the land of mud and snow but I am declining the extended health and dental plan post-work. I can pay for my own glasses, ambulances and dental cleanings cheaper than the premiums. The paperwork for those insurance claims seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I will let the dentist take a set of x- rays before I go. That way if there is anything secretive going on I will know ahead of time!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hmm. Since when are YOU married Mr.? hockeygrin.gif lol.gif agree.gif doh.gif
December. Staying on her HC coverage was the tipping point. Glad we got hitched up.gif