Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you have a remote keyless system in your car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 6:34 pm 
There have been a bunch of posts on my neighborhood "NextDoor.com" forum about car break-ins (Ballard area) that have no evidence of forced entry. The NY Times just posted this article a couple of weeks ago. It's worth reading. If you have maxed out your NY Times articles for the month here's what you do:
Quote:
Mr. Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame. “It’s a bit like a loudspeaker, so when you say hello over it, people who are 100 meters away can hear the word, ‘hello,’ ” Mr. Danev said. “You can buy these devices anywhere for under $100.” He said some of the lower-range devices cost as little as $17 and can be bought online on sites like eBay, Amazon and Craigslist. Mr. Danev said his company was in talks with several car manufacturers to install a chip that can tell how far the key is from the car, thereby defeating the power-amplifier trick. While I can’t be 100 percent certain this is the device they used to get into my car, until car companies solve the problem, he said, the best way to protect my car is to “put your keys in the freezer, which acts as a Faraday Cage, and won’t allow a signal to get in or out.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 6:42 pm 
In the freezer? Why not the refer? What's different other than temperature? Much better is to use your microwave oven. And hang onto those that don't work since they still work as a primo Faraday cage!

Badger

Badger
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Since they recommend a Faraday I would think a metal box would be suffice. Me- I am installing a kill switch to the back seat area.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
Badger wrote:
to
? Don't you mean "in"? And you'll need to insulate your items from the metal of your metal box. Newspaper works.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 pm 
I think a thin foil hat for the keys would do the trick.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm 
It sounds like this will only work on the vehicals that have the samrt key you keep in your pocket or purse. If you have a regular keyless entry fob that you have to press the button to lock/unlock the car then that device won't work.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!