Forum Index > Trip Reports > Johnson And Malcolm: 04-26-2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 10:40 pm 
For the first time this year, I had the time and opportunity to do more than a local I-90 peak. I wanted to get out Saturday, but the weather made me wait until Sunday to take a trip to the Teanaway. Turned out to be a good decision on all accounts. And it only takes 90 minutes to get there from North Bend! The goal was to emulate ragman & rodman's trip from 2014 to tag both Johnson Mountain and Malcolm Mountain. My companion for the trip was Rufus the Dog. Together, we started down the Johnson Medra trail at 8:15 AM (3160' est). It was cold, right around freezing, but we warmed up in due time.
Bridge at the start of Johnson Medra Trail
Bridge at the start of Johnson Medra Trail
It seems we just got started, when we came upon the left turn onto the Jungle Creek trail. We followed this trail for over an hour, making three easy creek fords, and climbing 1500' up to the eastern ridge of Johnson (4560'). At the top of the ridge, we picked up the Way Creek trail that heads west under the north slope of Johnson. Only we didn't stay on the trail long. It started to descend a little bit, and the ridge was in close proximity and rising, so we left the trail for the ridge.
Start of ridge run on Johnson Mtn
Start of ridge run on Johnson Mtn
We soon encountered three or four deer, likewise heading up the ridge. The ridge lead to a cliffy bluff that looked scramble-worthy. I might have tried it, if not for Rufus. Instead, we countoured the base of the cliff, sticking to the northside, looking for an opening to gain the summit. Eventually, the cliffs gave way and Rufus and I were able to gain the ridge crest again, just a couple hundred yards from the summit. We reached the summit of Johnson (5220') at 10:20 AM and shared a peanut butter sandwich to celebrate.
Rough terrain on east ridge of Johnson Mtn
Rough terrain on east ridge of Johnson Mtn
Johnson Mtn summit in sight!
Johnson Mtn summit in sight!
Rufus atop Johnson Mtn
Rufus atop Johnson Mtn
The Stuart Range from Johnson Mtn
The Stuart Range from Johnson Mtn
Looking to Malcolm Mtn from Johnson Mtn
Looking to Malcolm Mtn from Johnson Mtn
From the summit of Johnson, we followed the ridge west again, then found a convenient gulley to tromp down before re-connecting with the Way Creek Trail. Again heading west, we soon connected with the Koppen Mountain trail heading north. Compared to Jungle Creek and Way Creek trails, Koppen Mountain trail was less defined, faint in spots, but still easy enough to follow. It took Rufus and I straight to the east ridge of Malcolm. From there, a boot path/game trail lead all the way to the summit (5480'), which we obtained by 11:50 AM.
Looking back at Johnson Mtn from Malcolm Mtn
Looking back at Johnson Mtn from Malcolm Mtn
Malcolm Mtn marker
Malcolm Mtn marker
Rufus atop Malcolm Mtn with Stuart in background
Rufus atop Malcolm Mtn with Stuart in background
Rufus and I enjoyed the views from Malcolm. I then setup to use my In Touch, only to discover I had cell coverage! And AT&T no less! I happily called Yet and let her know the good news. smile.gif Rufus and I retraced our steps back to the car at a leisurely pace. We only saw two other people the whole trip, and that was down in the lower portion of the Jungle Creek trail. We exited the trail by 2:50 PM, meaning it took a little over 6.5 hours for the whole trip. Not knowing what to expect, I packed snowshoes. They were not needed. Patches of snow exist, but are easy to avoid.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 pm 
Great to see here again Markus. Hope you and yours are doing well. Tom hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 4:57 am 
up.gif Your avatar brings back great memories of trips when the kids were young.

Living in the Anthropocene
JimK

JimK
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am 
That's a fun and lonesome trip. Best as a loop from Malcolm over to Medra Pass and out.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 1:05 pm 
Good for Rufus - I'm sure he had a great day! Did you find Yukon's GPS? He lost it four years ago on that trip! rolleyes.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
ree

ree
PostTue Apr 28, 2015 5:36 pm 
Good for you getting out, Mark. Yeah, I didn't realize your avatar was Wall Drug... that place is a trip.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Apr 29, 2015 6:19 am 
Yay, Mark and Rufus on a trip! up.gif

huron

huron
PostThu Apr 30, 2015 3:45 pm 
Rufus appears to be enjoying the view of his treats/food.