Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dog poop AND pink flagging tape in one news story
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:11 am 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
I just wonder who the heck Venom really is. Many lessor trolls have been banned...
Says the person who created a 2nd name just to post "anonymously"... up.gif down.gif PS. There hasn't been a trip report posted in the last 5 years here or over at wta.org or cc.com that has not already been posted 100 times before. Trip reports are a complete waste of time to read other than where to possibly go. No one gives a damn about the 10,001th report on Annette lake, Observation Rock(spray park), Tiger Mountain, Hoh river trail, etc.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:45 am 
spamfoote wrote:
Trip reports are a complete waste of time to read other than where to possibly go.
up.gif And if you don't know where to go then you probably aren't very invested in the recreation or sport, and you don't know where you're at. And if you don't know where you're at you are lost. It's OK to check out new things to do. There are plenty of fun things to do but there's only so much time.. Hiking isn't for everyone. In fact some of us just fell into it as children.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon May 04, 2015 7:10 am 
huh.gif Trip reports are useless? I use them all the time to get a better of what conditions are like (flowers blooming, snow levels etc.) before I head out. Also, just because you may be an experienced hiker doesn't mean you can't enjoy other's stories of their adventures, and the photos they bring back.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon May 04, 2015 7:40 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
flowers blooming
Flora and fauna viewing and watching is a valid reason, IMO. It's very important. The Osprey were flying/hunting yesterday on Puget Sound.
The Beach Hylebos Waterway/Creek. Upper area of maps at Commencment Bay Puyallup Indian Reservation, Port of Tacoma.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostMon May 04, 2015 8:12 am 
[quote="spamfoote"]
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
Says the person who created a 2nd name just to post "anonymously"... up.gif down.gif
And, eventually this account will be banned and I will have to create another to comment.. and Venom spews on and on and on. Dogs and guns dogs and guns....

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 04, 2015 8:20 am 
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

suziq999

suziq999
PostMon May 04, 2015 8:40 am 
venom wrote:
How about if the dog just takes a crap at home, like they normally do - THEN go out on a hike? Seriously. Before you set out for the morning, let your dog out into your own yard, let it crap, then go to the destination. Problem solved. Unless there's other motivations by dog owners. shakehead.gif
No matter what I do with my dog or how many times it craps in the morning, it poops within 50 yards of the trail head. I DONT KNOW WHY IT JUST HAPPENS. Then I pick it up and hike pack to either my car or the trash can at the trail head.
Bedivere wrote:
I carry a supply of zip-loc baggies and one of those plastic tube-cans that potato chips come in. If he poops, I pick it up with a regular poo bag which then goes in the zip loc which then goes in the plastic tube
That is brilliant. I may have to buy potato chips just for this purpose. I've done the double ziplocks before but you can still smell it. Luckily my dog usually craps right away (see above) but in the rare instance she doesn't...

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 04, 2015 8:51 am 
Even with that method you'll still smell it. The can simply provides a good hard-sided container that can be easily carried in your pack without fear of the "payload" getting smooshed. And, it's a great excuse to buy some chips! For odor containment I'm thinking a nalgene might get the job done...?

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostMon May 04, 2015 9:20 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
huh.gif Trip reports are useless? I use them all the time to get a better of what conditions are like (flowers blooming, snow levels etc.) before I head out. Also, just because you may be an experienced hiker doesn't mean you can't enjoy other's stories of their adventures, and the photos they bring back.
Yeah, that's asinine. Trip reports are one of the few things worth reading on this site. Threads like this? Now those are useless.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon May 04, 2015 9:35 am 
crazyhiker wrote:
Trip reports are one of the few things worth reading on this site.
If you must live vicariously - History thread maybe? It's not worthwhile enough?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon May 04, 2015 11:11 am 
crazyhiker wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Yeah, that's asinine.
Yup. But then there are those folks who figure that what is useless to them must be useless to everyone. The pinnacle of online empathy and charisma! I suppose that if you never go on hikes, TRs would be particularly useless to you...

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon May 04, 2015 11:45 am 
dog sh!t is biodegradable. dog sh!t in a plastic bag is not. It's a good thing my dog's sh!t don't stink.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 04, 2015 1:44 pm 
I don't like to see dog poop on the trails, bagged or otherwise. Why can't dog owners simply carry a trowel and bury it? That's what backpackers and cats do, do why not dog owners?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostMon May 04, 2015 2:49 pm 
wolffie wrote:
dog sh!t is biodegradable. dog sh!t in a plastic bag is not. It's a good thing my dog's sh!t don't stink.
I use biodegradable poop bags. Bag it and pack it out on busy trails. Bury it on less busy trails. Not that hard.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 04, 2015 3:05 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That's what backpackers and cats do, do why not dog owners?
Just to be contrarian, there seem to be quite a few people who have problems with this idea, too. I've stumbled into some seriously fouled backcountry camps. The worst being Cub Lake. Just about every bush and tree had piles of TP under it.