Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trouble sleeping. Ideas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 03, 2015 12:45 pm 
Lately Ive had serious trouble falling asleep. Nothing seems to help. I haven't tried anything prescription, but nothing over the counter helps. Ill just lay there all night and cant fall asleep. I get right to the edge and nothing. Ive gone days without sleep lately. Frankly the only thing that seems to work is alcohol and that isnt any kind of answer. Anybody else dealt with this?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lono

Lono
PostSun May 03, 2015 1:10 pm 
My wife uses Vitamin D to good effect. I don't often have trouble sleeping but exercise and alcohol are my typical routes.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun May 03, 2015 1:52 pm 
When I tell people my life story, they usually start falling asleep. Let me know if I can help. clown.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSun May 03, 2015 1:53 pm 
You might not like it, but good old mary jane works for some folks to this effect. Not sure how that would jibe with your work though. A buddy of mine has a bit of a cookie when he's having sleep trouble and it works great according to him.

contour5

contour5
PostSun May 03, 2015 2:21 pm 
Melatonin can be useful. Google it and educate yourself extensively- don't just jump in blind. Weed. Cannabis is God's gift to the insomniac. Not really a good idea to combine melatonin and cannabis. Choose one or the other, and use them carefully and conscientiously. What's keeping you awake? Troubled thoughts are best resolved through discussion with a disinterested party. Alcohol is probably the worst method of achieving unconsciousness. Toxic and highly addictive, it tends to lead to an uncomfortable hung-over state. Good luck. I've dealt with various levels of insomnia most of my life, and have never found the perfect solution. Some of us are born night owls. I tend to use weed to stop drinking, and alcohol to give up smoking weed. Not a perfect solution by any means, but I'm able to sleep, and I retain control over my addictions. Look into meditation. It's the real answer. There are plenty of easy techniques for calming the mind- they just require a serious, concerted effort. If you've never considered this approach, I'd recommend Roy Masters- a complete whackjob- but his "concentration-observation" exercise is an easy approach to understanding how your mind works. Don't go getting addicted to Roy, or his nutbar political agenda. Just use his techniques to understand your own mind. As it says in the bible- "Be still and know".

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun May 03, 2015 2:25 pm 
What kind a sleep do you get normally? Do you try to settle down for a few hours before sleeping avoiding electronic devices, the internet, etc.?

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun May 03, 2015 2:30 pm 
lots of things first are you on medication where this might be a new side effect? talk to your pharmacist vitamins, if you take multi-vitamin, particularly the B complexes, take them in the morning, they can be stimulating. avoid all electronic screens, ; reader, computers, game aps. decaffeinate yourself as much as possible, ; tea coffee colas energy drinks and chocolate. try elevating your bed head end. snoring and apnea can ruin sleep If you exercise strenuously, consider moving gym time earlier in the day. Have a protein snack right before bed. This may help alleviate hypoglycemia which can be related to insomnia and wakefulness. I use a combination of melatonin in the evening and 5-HTP ( serotonin precursor ) in the morning. I was also using 1 diphenhydramine ( benadryl) along with melatonin but have developed pretty bad ear worms. I recently learned that diphenhydramine may have some negative effect on brain neurological function so I dropped it. My ear worms have abated quite a bit. I was having wakefulness with songs looping in my mind.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 03, 2015 3:09 pm 
Thanks everyone. First I have a DOD security clearance that I cant lose, so MJ is out. At the moment Im working on the propulsion system of the USS Nimitz. I have some sleep apnea so I use a breathing machine. I usually get 6-7 hours a night. I don't know whats causing this. Not to many thoughts. I've experienced that before. Its frightening really. Try going days without sleep. You feel like you're going to die. Sigh.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 03, 2015 3:13 pm 
We got some cheap vitamins at Wallysworld and it turned out the were laced with caffeine. shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
...First I have a DOD security clearance that I cant lose...
Based upon that fact, this forum is one of the last places I would have requested assistance from. Medical professionals is where I would start. However, a good IPA often does the trick for me....not much, understand. One is enough.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
contour5

contour5
PostSun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm 
Quote:
Its frightening really. Try going days without sleep. You feel like you're going to die.
Been there. Next stop- psychosis. People chasing you with dogs and torches. Try running all night with people chasing you... No, please don't. Prolonged lack of sleep can lead to some pretty bizarre hallucinations- get professional help before you reach this phase. Take time off work if you have to. Try melatonin- it's cheap, legal and pretty effective. Meandering's advice is pretty good- although I'd say heavy food just before bedtime isn't a great idea. Also, an exhausting workout after dinner can help to achieve a deep sleep. Good luck.
Quote:
However, a good IPA often does the trick for me....not much, understand. One is enough.
Well, two is ok. When I get to three, I switch back to weed.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun May 03, 2015 4:19 pm 
Joe....there are some good ideas here. But, try going back to basics. How about a glass of milk before bed? Try eating turkey or anything else with tryptophan in it. Ever noticed how sleepy folks get after thanksgiving dinner? Usually it's the tryptophan working. I try to go to sleep at the same time every night and don't eat sweets or caffeine thingies after the afternoon. Works for me. Happy dreams dude!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm 
Magnesium deficiency is pretty common if you're not eating well and this is a common symptom of it. Magnesium citrate or magnesium gluconate would be the first thing I'd try. Magnesium oxide has poor bio-availability so not so useful. Also be careful with this if you've got kidney problems. I'm no doc, so check this advice out on WebMd or talk to a doc or pharmacist.

icedog

icedog
PostSun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm 
Ya, suffer from this too. Good suggestions here; takes some trial and error to find which work for YOU. Usually can break a no-sleep jag with a Benadryl, but had an episode that was stretching too long and didn't respond to my usual interventions. Finally went to my doc and got rx for ambien CR (which, as a RN, is on my personal no-take list after hearing too many wacky stories from patients). Took one tab, broke the cycle; have not had to take another. IME, it's imperative to break the cycle. Natural sources of tryptophan are helpful, and I second both the no screens before bed and meditation. I like Jon Kabat-Zinn. Alcohol will mess with sleep cycles. Sleep gets harder as we age, so it's helpful to have a combination of strategies that work for YOU. Good luck!

ICEDOG
sten

sten
PostSun May 03, 2015 7:42 pm 
Accept it. The stress of not sleeping can be self-perpetuating. Don't let it be. Just be ok with being awake and let your mind wander. I'm not saying it will let you sleep, but at least you can be relaxed about it.