Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trouble sleeping. Ideas?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue May 05, 2015 4:24 pm 
Lots of good ideas here. Also do a web search on "sleep hygiene" and read up on it if you haven't already. While there may not be a silver bullet there for you, it might at least help a bit along with whatever else you're trying. I learned to meditate a few decades ago during a bout of the sort of insomnia that you describe. It helped. I learned TM (transcendental meditation), but from what I understand the mindfulness method mentioned above should work also. I also learned Tai Chi in that same time period. It seemed to have the biggest effect of all the things I tried. I stopped doing it some years later - too many things to do in one day, but I sometimes wonder if it was one of the wrong things to cut out. I also tried acupuncture - seemed to help. In fact I would tend to fall asleep during the treatments (this at a time when napping during the day was NOT happening any other way). Glad the Lunesta seems to be helping you past the immediate crisis - it is definitely scary to go so long w/o sleep. But you'll get past this - it's possible your sleep will always be sketchy, but you'll get past this catastrophic sort of period. In the meantime, it helps to remember that you do get some rest even just lying down in bed, particularly if you can let yourself let go of the mental attachment to sleeping (easier said than done! but possible.).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 06, 2015 12:24 am 
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the attention to my disorder-ma laze-condition-problem-affliction-insanity! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri May 08, 2015 12:21 am 
Just getting off a late shift and contemplating some ZZZZs myself. Lots of good suggestions above. As noted above, insomnia and anxiety are rampant and super common.... MD supervision and a good sleep study makes sense. Lunesta and its conjeners work but can be addictive so use as only as needed. That said, many people use them regularly and probably are fine (although develop likely some level of dependence if used daily) Benadryl isn`t so bad; it works, isn`t addictive but generally should be avoided if you are over 65. Sleep hygiene is where it is at! Exercise, tire your body (but not too close to bedtime or the endorphins will keep you up). Brain spins and the tension it causes in the body (lots of thinking and perseverating about everything) is probably the most common problem underlying sleep problems (IMO) and can be remedied by mindfulness, meditation or even a mantrum or prayer said over and over to stop the spinning (counting sheep may have some validity!) Avoid caffeine and alcohol particularly late at night. Aim for body/muscular relaxation... nighttime tension release means sleep.....

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri May 08, 2015 12:28 pm 
According to Dr Andrew Weil, the two best sleep remedies are melatonin and valerian (not together though). In my experience, these both work well for me, but note that most of these will stop working if used too often. Especially (in my experience) melatonin. One other remedy that also works well (at least if not used too often) is Kava kava.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri May 08, 2015 7:16 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Lunesta and its conjeners work but can be addictive so use as only as needed. That said, many people use them regularly and probably are fine (although develop likely some level of dependence if used daily)
There was at least one recent study that found a correlation between use of benzodiazepines (Lunesta and Ambien are apparently examples of this class of drug) and Alzheimer's later on. Apparently there was low or no correlation below 90 doses, but above that, regardless of whether the doses were taken all on days in a row or more separated in time, there began to be a significant increase in risk of developing the disease. Just one more thing to keep one awake at night, I guess...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 09, 2015 12:23 am 
Well crap. Thanks Joker. down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat May 09, 2015 6:50 am 
OP I hope that if your issue has not resolved you make a priority visit to your doctor.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat May 09, 2015 7:52 pm 
meandering Wa wrote:
OP I hope that if your issue has not resolved you make a priority visit to your doctor.
M'eh. We all experience this at some point in our lives. Doctor is only going to prescribe drugs you don't need Tom. down.gif You gotta clear your brain, stop thinking about stuff. First, you need dark, no lights. Make sure you pee before you lay down, that eliminates that excuse to get up. Then quiet, nothing to make you wanna pay attention. Try the three long, slow breaths when you're ready to sleep. Don't hold them in, release them slowly. Lastly, think about dumb stuff, like boobies.

Kirt

Kirt
PostSat May 09, 2015 9:40 pm 
I haven't tried this but I know folks that have with success. Link

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat May 09, 2015 10:01 pm 
Kirt wrote:
I haven't tried this but I know folks that have with success. Link
That's a crappy hack on well established pranayama practices. And a crappy introduction to doing it as well. The idea behind the "formula" on that link is essentially a lengthened exhale. Physiologically, the exhale portion of a full breath preferentially activates the parasympathetic nervous system ("the relaxation response") and the inhale portion of a full breath preferentially activates the sympathetic nervous system ("the fight or flight response"). So, by lengthening the exhale to be longer (up to twice as long) as the inhale, you operate more parasympathetically than sympathetically. Which is what you want if you're brain/body is wired and you can't relax to get to sleep. (There are times you might NOT want this effect.) The thing is, just jumping into this can create stress, if your body feels oxygen deprived. So, when I teach this sort of pranayama in my yoga classes, we start with nothing more than counting the breath (either mentally, or with a metronome). Then, maybe, adding a count on the exhale. And if that feels *totally* comfortable, adding another after a minute or two. And so on. The holds can have additional effects (though, if I recall correctly, it's a hold *after* the exhale that is more effective for maintaining a parasympathetic activation, rather than a hold after the inhale), but are something to be slowly added after lengthy (many weeks) and steady practice. Don't get me wrong - working on breath counting* can be a great way to help you relax a busy mind if that's keeping you from sleeping. But jumping directly into the method in that video is likely to make it harder for a long time first. *Another "breath counting" method that I find super helpful is to count each breath (one count for one inhale/exhale combination) and count to 10. When you get to 10, start over at 1. If you forget what number you were on, start over at 1. If you suddenly find yourself counting 15, start over at 1. And do this for as long as you like.

touron

touron
PostSat May 09, 2015 10:35 pm 
I tried counting mountain goats once: one mountain goat, two mountain goats, three mountain goats...eight mountain goats...soon I was almost asleep, but then I got up to twenty mountain goats, and I wasn't sure if the the two dots I was seeing were actually mountain goats even if I squinted. Were both goats? Was one a goat? Were they just small white rocks, or perhaps a tree snag bleached by the sun? With so many goats, and because they were far away, and not all moving, though some were, it was difficult to tell which was a goat and which was not, and which had already been counted. Soon I was wider awake than ever trying to determine precisely how many goats there were. So I do not recommend counting mountain goats.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 11, 2015 9:33 am 
I just stumbled across a tip that made me think of this thread. Soak your feet in warm/hot water for ten minutes right before bedtime. Supposedly it increases blood flow to the feet which pulls blood away from the brain and makes you sleepy. It's probably a pretty relaxing feeling, too. No idea if it actually works but hey, it's drug-free and worth a try! Good luck.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostWed May 13, 2015 8:11 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Late eve romance.
I tried this but it failed to help with my sleep problems. I'm thinking this might be more effective with a partner.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu May 14, 2015 2:55 pm 
I've been working the 6pm-4:30am shitft, the weekend rolls around and sometimes all I want to do is sleep, good thing for coffee. drink.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu May 14, 2015 3:22 pm 
Lots of good suggestions. Exercise works for me. I'm sure having a spouse to snuggle up to helps too. You might look into that wink.gif Based on our previous conversations about exercise offline, I recommend a power rack with safety pins or spotter arms, a bar, a set of plates and a bench. 30 minutes of intense resistance training a couple hours before bed will help. It's kinda hard to take weights on the road, though...