Forum Index > Food & Grub > chicken
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostMon May 11, 2015 11:11 am 
I don't think my dehydrator will get things warm enough. I'm nervous about contamination anyway so maybe would not feel OK eating it. I will go look for freeze dried. we had gotten away from backpacking and were doing mostly day hikes but are trying to get back into it. would like to lighten the load and also keep down odors as we will be doing some things in the rockies with grizzlies. Valley fresh ... yes, that was the pouch chicken I used to find. thanks for the heads up on safeway & target. will look there. thank you all!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 11, 2015 11:15 am 
And honestly? I prefer the pouched chicken. As long as you seal up your garbage and store it in a bear can in Grizzly land, you will be OK! smile.gif Have fun!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
iron

iron
PostTue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am 
we buy the kirkland canned chicken from costco. take the chunks, crumble them up a bit, toss on dehydrator @ 125 degrees for about a day. everything is bone dry and can be crushed into a near powder. toss it in our mix of other goodies for a particular meal, and good to go. it lasts easily a year without refrigeration. we just leave in ziplock bags that probably have holes in them. rehydrates in 5 mins (dump in boiling water, cover, and let sit). key part is to crumble up the chunks before dehydrating.