Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Suiattle to Dusty Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat May 09, 2015 10:48 pm 
The plan was to do some recon for possible future trips. I arrived at the Suiattle trail head at noon. My intended destination for the night, Vista creek. But first i had to pass by the trail crew 3/4 of which whom i know. Yea so i was slowed down chatting with them. But by speeding up a bit i managed to reach Vista Creek and butt scoot across it on a log to set up camp before night fall. Sun Dappled Moss
Flower
Signs.
There is no longer a bridge over Vista Creek it washed out years ago.
Washed out bridge that used to cross Vista Creek.  Trail beyond now abandoned.
Washed out bridge that used to cross Vista Creek. Trail beyond now abandoned.
Camp
Excellent camp site @ Vista Creek
Excellent camp site @ Vista Creek
The next morning i was woke to the choirs of birds singing. Heated up a cup of coffee, and had a hand full of mixed nuts. I was not hungry for breakfast yet. So i started to break camp. As i disassembled my jet boil, the valve stuck open blowing fuel everywhere. It emptied it's self. I decided i would have to wing it with cold food. Up the unmaintained trail i went. At first signs of being well traveled.
Average condition of unmaintained upper Suiattle trail between Vista and Dusty Creeks.  Surprising shape considering it has not been maintained for at least 15 years....if not more.
Average condition of unmaintained upper Suiattle trail between Vista and Dusty Creeks. Surprising shape considering it has not been maintained for at least 15 years....if not more.
Still a foot log crossing Gamma Creek.
Decaying foot log crossing Gamma Creek
Decaying foot log crossing Gamma Creek
But past the intersection of the old PCT (where the Sky Line Bridge used to be) the route showed less trampling. However at the next intersection, Gamma Ridge, i was startled by a scare crow. The scare crow was complete with safety goggles, rusty chain saw bar, and chain saw chain. No chain saw. Annoying that someone left it here, but at the same time i found it rather humorous. Are the blow downs really that bad beyond this point?
Anyway i continued on down to Dusty Creek. I am still blown away by the flood channels in the area. Dusty Creek is no exception. It's not very impressive outside of flood season. Dusty Creek and it's Flood Channel.
Dusty Creek flood plain near confluence of Suiattle River
Dusty Creek flood plain near confluence of Suiattle River
For now there are views to be seen from the creek valley due to the floods, but the alders are quickly taking hold. Liberty Cap
Looking at Liberty Cap/Buck Creek Pass from the flood plain near the confluence of Dusty Creek and Suiattle River.
Looking at Liberty Cap/Buck Creek Pass from the flood plain near the confluence of Dusty Creek and Suiattle River.
I made several attempts to cross Dusty Creek. I could not find a log crossing. I waded in bear foot, however i kept finding loose round rocks which easily shifted in the current. It was probably six steps wading knee deep through the deepest part. But without solid footing i decided not to risk it. Especially out solo. With the prospect of cold food, and still early in the day, i hiked out early.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSun May 10, 2015 9:41 am 
Looks nice up there. Sorry to hear about your stove troubles... I had a canister valve malfunction a while back... hope they haven't made some kind of poorly thought out design change to cut cost... Any sign of the Gamma Ridge trail? I'm pretty sure it's still there, just wondering if it's relatively easy to spot...

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostSun May 10, 2015 10:21 am 
I took that suit down last time I was there. Someone appears to like spooking hikers out in the middle of nowhere. Crossing the Dusty is not trivial. It is steep and fast. We should get a couple of hikers out there to toss a sturdy log across it. Gamma is there, but very faint at the start. It barely looks like a trail. Looks like a fun trip!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 10, 2015 10:44 am 
THE HULKMEISTER SLEPT ON THE GROUND! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hockeygrin.gif paranoid.gif dizzy.gif doh.gif hmmm.gif winksmile.gif rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
carlb328

carlb328
PostSun May 10, 2015 3:23 pm 
How many miles is it to dusty creek?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun May 10, 2015 9:19 pm 
Is this better BPJ it's from 3 weeks ago, right next to Vista Creek
carlb328 I believe it is approx 11 miles in to Dusty Creek. Yea it would be nice if there was at minimum a foot log. Or even a butt scoot log.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed May 13, 2015 12:55 am 
JVesquire wrote:
We should get a couple of hikers out there to toss a sturdy log across it.
Hey Brian, is this something we could so while we're out there with the crew?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed May 13, 2015 1:38 am 
This is way out of the work area.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 13, 2015 9:51 am 
I hiked the Suiattle yesterday. No entries in the trail register besides mine, none the day before either. Not even a car was seen past the boundary bridge. Beautiful donut hole weather. I forgot how big the trees are, with cedars right next to Doug firs, gigantic specimens. The trail down to the old Milk creek bridge site is getting brushy with some stinging nettles mixed in, watch your hands and arms, legs if in shorts. The road is 95% awesome, 5% potholes that could swallow your car.

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed May 13, 2015 9:57 am 
Thanks for the report, I've been wondering about this area. I may have to break down and drive to the west side to hike this summer. I want to go all the way to Chocolate creek and possibly Rusk Basin. My dream is to summit Glacier Peak via the route CE Rusk used way back when, except then exit out the North Fork Sauk instead.

reststep

reststep
PostWed May 13, 2015 10:19 am 
Didn't the trail go all the way to Chocolate Creek at one time? I wonder how much of it remains.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed May 13, 2015 10:25 am 
It's there, but faint. I don't know if the Chocolate Creek trail exists. I doubt it.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 14, 2015 12:44 am 
The only way to find out how far the trail went is to go there and find out. Even with the Suiattle road opening it takes the better part of a day just to get to Dusty Creek. So exploring is a big time commitment for a possible bushwhack with few alpine views. The forest is amazing. http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/pacnw/pdf/routes_rocks_GlacierPeak.pdf Based off of Routes and Rocks it appears the trail crossed Choclate Creek, then continued as a high route the followed Honey Comb and Suiattle Glaciers. Obviously what may have existed in the late 50's and early 60s may have been erased by time.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu May 14, 2015 8:44 am 
I'm in. With two or three more people we could get a foot log across the Dusty to make travel there better. Late spring is the perfect time to explore this place, when the high country is snow bound and the lowland flowers are out.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 14, 2015 11:28 am 
Anything left of the Gamma ridge trail? Went up there some time ago and it was pretty cool... There used to be a trail up the ridge adjacent to Dusty creek as well. Bet that is long gone....