Forum Index > Trip Reports > Idaho/Montana remote wilderness fishing trip.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 pm 
OK here goes. Woodhead and Forest Gnome met me at my place ON TIME up.gif on Aug. 1st. We drove to Post Falls Idaho and picked up the Jack Rabbit then another friend from Missoula airport. With all the starts and stops as well as the road construction we arrived in Darby Montana a few hours late. After a GREAT rib-eye steak dinner at Bradley O's we arrived at Tin Cup Creek B&B at 8:30 PM our time, 9:30 their time. This turned out to be a great beginning to our trip as this place is worth every penny you spend to stay there. Highly recommended. up.gif The next day it's 10+ miles to Tin Cup Lake on a VERY horsey trail. You would think that horsey would mean 10 feet wide and dusty with lots of horse poop but here the trail was a foot wide in lots of places, muddy and very very overgrown with lots of horse poop. It reminded me alot of the PCT up the Waptus Burn above Waptus Lake. Forset Gnome, my Callie buddy and I were about a mile and mile and 1/2 from the lake when we got hit with a heavy thunderstorm downpour. After taking refuge under some trees and waiting it out we headed out again but due to the fact that the trail was so overgrown we were soaked in minutes. No rain gear or Gore-Tex shoes could stop all the water. After making the lake we found Woodhead and Jack Rabbit already had their tents up-I and the rest of the group hike slow-as well as Steve from Boise who got on the trail 2 hours ahead of us. We all called it a night early. The next day it's 7.5 Miles and 2000' up and over the Montana/Idaho border and down to the Triple Lakes. Again very overgrown without water until the top. A very hot buggy climb. As we made it to the Middle Triple Lake Mr. Rabbit, Woodhead and Steve from Boise were already fishing. We set up our tents and got lunch going. I was so tired that I didn't fish that day and I don't remember if any one else did either. The next day was a rest day with lots of sleeping, fishing and eating. And oh yes a little 12 yr old Single Malt wink.gif The next day we were all supposed to go to 3 remote lakes about 6 hrs. away. I couldn't make it due to a bad case of trail toes and Mr Gnome my Callie friend didn't want to go either so that left Mr Rabbit, Woodhead, and Steve from Boise that left early the next morning. They would meet us in 2 days. well they met us the next day, tired, dehydrated, exhausted, bug bit and scratched. Seems that it was a tougher trip than the map showed. lol.gif While they were gone a Moose and Calf moved in to our lake and she would bring her little brown baby down to the waters edge while she grazed on the lake bottom. Mr Gnome "sneaked" up on her to get "A picture" and got growled at. We stayed there for 3 nights or was it 4? On the way out Jack Rabbit, Woodhead, and Steve from Boise hiked out in 1 day. We took 2 and were chased by thunder and lightning storms the whole way. I had to take Vikedin to make it out due to the fact I had done something to my left foot and it still bothers me today. But the fishing was great , as was the steaks, beers and company. Thanks again to all who attended!!!!!!!!!!! You were all the best I could ask for. Now for next year????? Wyoming? The Bighorn Crags? Rockies? hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm 
I can't put pics on this TR from my computer. Forest Gnome or Woodhead could you fill in the blanks?

newtrout

newtrout
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 pm 
You can't have a fishing trip report without a fishing report!

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 pm 
I personaly caught around 100 trout between 11"-18" in 8 days. 40 in 1 day alone. If I would have stayed at Billion Fish Lake it could have been 200 total easy.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 10:15 pm 
People with A.D.D. such as myself need paragraphs. We can't digest large globs of data that run together. Sounds like you guys had a great time in some great country! And like the bumper sticker, there's some sore-lipped trout over there who will tremble upon the sound of your name.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 pm 
well talk about takin it up a notch...the brutal 12m. aproach to tin cup lake!....then 2,000' up over the pass the next day..(one of the best sections of trail i have ever hiked)....awsumee trippin. sections were burned, at the other side of the pass, ya drop to a plateu and look down 600' cliffs to the valley on the right... then drop down to the 2 main lakes in the next drainage, anothe 45 minutes away....seeing the moose from 150' away with her calf was great, and sneaking up behind a huge boulder and peeking over the top she was 25 ft. away (no calf)...she was very curious.... question: when the fish are so large, and the fly-line leader keeps breaking when ya lift the fish up ....whadda ya do?...have to try scooping em. with my hat next time ....the fish was 17-18".... I have to scan the pics and try posting?...next time takin a digital camera. edit:...TIN CUP LODGE/B&B...awsome cabins for 180$..top of the mountain....rms look great for 95$...only 2m. from the trailhead!!! NEXT is gottabe Glacier nat. park for 7-8 days!!

wfopen

wfopen
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:24 pm 
Hey Lead Dog Sorry i didn't stay but i'd been fishing for three weeks straight and i was ready to be home and let my heels heal. I got three layers of skin back workin on the fourth and fifth lol. Being as it was twenty years between hiking trips while i may have been ignorant to a lot of things i made it. The fishing was worth it an the scenery was icing on the mountain top. Thanks for having me and let me know about next year. Tell Darby666 i'm gonna be ready next year and walk his ass into the ground. Man i can't believe i got out hiked by a guy that smokes and is 7 years older. Laughing my f### ass off Oh i got a lot of good info from you so i'll be better prepared next year maybe i'll just bring a medic lol steve

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 1:08 pm 
No problem! shakehead.gif I didn't expect you to wait for us slow pokes. The next time maybe you will listen to my advice. lol.gif Remember I've hiked with Jack Rabbit before many times and knew what you were in for. But I could see you were bound and determined to go so I kept quiet in my tent as you were packing up to go. I myself wouldn't have made it. My left foot is still swollen and sore 2 weeks after the trip. Glad you made it out ok. up.gif Next year I'm thinking the Wind Rivers or the Bighorn Crags again. I'll keep you posted.

Woodhead

Woodhead
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 7:26 pm 
hey ya`ll that was a kick ass trip. The trip over to the White Caps was completly awesome. Five hundred feet up a knife ridge and two thousand feet down then backup five hundred feet straight up the most beutiful granite slab you can imagine biggrin.gif what a hike Steve you made it the whole way, your a rightous dude. Not bad for your 1st hike in twenty years. The Jack Rabbit was one bad MooFoo I`ve never seen a touhger crazier Irishman from Butte Montana. Oh yeh and the fishing was`nt bad either. When you have three fish trying to steal the fly out of the fish you have hooked mouth. hockeygrin.gif

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 9:47 am 
Alright, where are the photos? huh.gif

Woodhead

Woodhead
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 12:21 pm 
Sorry about the no photo thing. Apparently none of us are wizzes on the computer. rolleyes.gif I`ll get my girlfriend to help me out she knows how to do all that stuff. doof.gif

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 4:25 pm 
Thanks Woodhead! Remember to edit out the naked swimming pics! eek.gif We don't want any people from Playgirl knocking on our doors. rotf.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 6:46 pm 
Out of - how many? - morons on this trip, none of youse are smart enough to post pictures? What are the odds of that? rolleyes.gif hmmm.gif C'mon guys, get the pics up. Nekkid ones too.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 6:57 pm 
Can you photograph a Gnome? Aren't they visible only to "special" kinds of people or when near pots of gold? Can't wait to see what a Forest Gnome looks like.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 8:38 pm 
the hilight had to be the thunder storms, with lead dog runnin around at 3 am. in his underwear picking up camp..."this is it boys!"... I have yet to get the pic's developed.....hope woodhead get em up.... the odd thing about the storms was they blow up and down the valley , but with 3,000 high walls they remain in the valleys.....