Forum Index > Gear Talk > OR Echo shirts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 08, 2018 6:03 am 
I had an opportunity to get out in the sun for a long backpack with Outdoor Research’s Echo LS shirt after having seen Hit the Trail with it, his son in law an ultra marathoner recommended it to him. The shirt is ultralight ventilating and drying better than my MH Wicked T or other running shirts but additionally the light color didn’t absorb heat I was surprisingly cool and comfortable all day. Sometimes you stumble on a product that separates from the marketing hype.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun May 13, 2018 8:54 am 
I used one (hooded) all last year, including on snow. I’ll probably pick up another this year.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 13, 2018 11:19 am 
Hit the Trail has the hooded version.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 13, 2018 12:14 pm 
I did notice they are sold out of many colors and variations.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun May 13, 2018 6:43 pm 
OR makes good stuff, but I gotta say knit fabric doesn't work for me for backpacking. I prefer a lightweight thin woven shirt which holds the backpack more stable on your hips and the small of your back with less belt tension. Knit introduces a stretchy layer than can promote creeping.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 14, 2018 7:39 pm 
Because of some of the crazy events my son-in-law has completed he has a pro deal with OR. About twice a year they offer a discount code to family members to get 50% off an entire order. So I just bought some short sleeved Echo base layers to put under my slightly thicker base layers. I was wearing them this weekend down at Mt. Hood on some family hikes and they were really toasty. I see no reason to wear a long sleeved inner layer with stuff like that available. After a full day of activities saturday my son and I were having an hors d oeuvre and a night cap at the bar as it was getting dark when he txt his sister to have them come join us. Turns out they were skinning half way up to the summit of Hood to ski down before dark!

braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm 
I basically live in OR Echo tees - long and short sleeved. Road running, trail running, backpacking, base layer for splitboarding. If I'm being active, chances are I'm sporting on of those. They weigh next to nothing and I can stuff an extra pretty much anywhere in my pack. They also dry super quick, which is nice when you've been wearing the same shirt for multiple days in the backcountry. I recently picked up a couple pairs of the Echo briefs and they're wonderful on the netherregions biggrin.gif

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm 
up.gif

pula58

pula58
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:34 am 
I Have the grey-ish long sleeve shirt version. I love it! Finally, sun protection without being too hot. Love it!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 8:17 am 
Absolutely love my shirts and noticed they are a hard item to come by sold out a lot my wife searched and found two at Campsaver noticeably cooler in the alloy / white and dry very quickly compared to my MH Wicked T, Ultralight Capilene, and even my running shirts.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 10:59 am 
For the tall crowd Columbia Men's Tamiami Long Sleeve comes in Talls. Loose Fit, Moisture wicking and sun blocking. Arms have rollup tabs. Comes in a bunch of colors. I have an obnoxious bright orange one I wear hiking during hunting season.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 am 
InFlight wrote:
Columbia Men's Tamiami Long Sleeve comes in Talls. Loose Fit, Moisture wicking and sun blocking.
Interesting, thanks for posting that. I didn't know Columbia had tall sizes. When you say loose fit, is that throughout the shirt or just around the belly? In particular, are the sleeves loose enough to actually roll up a long arm to the tabs without being tourniquets?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 am 
It pretty generously cut in the arms as well. No issues rolling up. I wanted someone with a collar to keep sun off my neck. I have three of these treated with Permethrin that are my go to hiking wear.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 12:22 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Sure enough the shirt had a bunch of holes after two days of carrying a pack. Might be good for running or boating but a waste of money for carrying a pack.
Interesting, as I have been wearing these for going on 3 years (with packs) and have no wear issues.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 am 
How quickly do the Echo shirts develop permastink? Especially sayvas compared to the tech tees I bought last fall at CostCo for 1/3 the price of the Echo. I have a several generations back version of this shirt https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-canyon-pro-long-sleeve-shirt-1764271.html?cgid=mens-shirts-longSleeve&dwvar_1764271_variationColor=088#srule=PriceHighToLow&start=0 I have found it great for many activities where sun exposure is a factor. The underarm fabric is a very fine mesh and vents very well. The fabric on the arms and front is substantial enough to fend off flys, mosquitos and light brush. It launders well and still smells good enough to wear in town.