Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 15, 2015 8:05 pm 
Salman Rushdie, commenting after the Charlie Hebdo murders wrote:
'Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. 'This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. 'I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. "Respect for religion" has become a code phrase meaning "fear of religion." "Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.'

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri May 15, 2015 8:07 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
After all american's literacy rate is actually declining
And that has absolutely nothing to do with millions of illegal aliens who are literally illiterate in their native language, let alone English. Because diversity is our strength.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 15, 2015 8:24 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
After all american's literacy rate is actually declining
And that has absolutely nothing to do with millions of illegal aliens who are literally illiterate in their native language, let alone English. Because diversity is our strength.
Every wave of immagration to the USA has encountered such discrimination , german, polish, italian, Irish, etc have all had the similar complaints levied against them. The current wave is no different , people want come here, work hard and make a better life for their children. It is the American dream. Unless your ancestors walked over here from Siberia during the ice age -- STFU about immagrants . FWIW I have ancestors that fought in the American Revolution .

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri May 15, 2015 9:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The current wave is no different , people want come here, work hard
rotf.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri May 15, 2015 11:48 pm 
mike wrote:
Religion (organized) is the scourge of humanity.
up.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat May 16, 2015 2:01 am 
Interesting article certainly tends to show what I’ve generally noticed, but what does it really mean? I always like to ask myself what might it say about how people answer the below two questions. What is your God (yourself, society, religion...)? What might it mean to...Are you loving your neighbor as yourself?

Chico

Chico
PostSat May 16, 2015 6:09 am 
mike wrote:
One big reason we have been waring with each other since the dawn of humanity.

trestle

trestle
PostSat May 16, 2015 8:08 am 
Religion has also provided a framework or context upon which many compromises have been reached as well. Frankly, greed is more of a scourge than religion. But I guess those lunches we serve to the homeless every Saturday must be a scourge. Hmmm.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSat May 16, 2015 10:00 am 
Wow. A catch-all religion topic not shut down yet! IMO: Religion mostly exists because it's a way for people to belong to a social group, which is a basic human need. I just find it strange and sad that for most religions, you must profess to accept a set of arbitrary and objectively false dogmas in order to belong (i.e., suppress your "God-given" wink.gif critical thinking skills). It reminds me of the "my football team is better than yours" culture. It almost seems like, in order for us to identify with a social group, that group has to believe in something arbitrary and objectively not true.

horse with no name

horse with no name
PostSat May 16, 2015 11:30 am 
And the opiate of the masses.
mike wrote:
And the opiate of the masses. But seriously, folks, who cares?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat May 16, 2015 12:06 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
To what would you attribute such a sea-change in the abilities and attitudes of the general population?
I think it probably as much more to do with the ease of access to information and a broader range of opinions and perspectives thanks to the internet. Before the internet was a thing, if you were skeptical about something, you generally took other people's word for it, maybe researching a subject at the library where there would likely be a finite number of resources on whatever the subject may be. Thanks to the internet, it is now easier than ever to call bullsh## on whatever said bullsh## may be. Of course, the converse to that is there is also now a whole lot more misinformation floating around out there that needs to have bullsh## called on it - but again, it's easy to do so with a little bit of Google-fu. In regards to religion specifically, I think this is a big part of it, but another big part of it is my generation (Gen Y / Millennials) was not really forced or coerced into going to church as my parents generation (Boomers) was - or at least there was never the same social expectations attached to it. Religion is first and foremost something that you're taught by your family. If your parents are religious, chances are you will grow up being such as well. My mom grew up Catholic but espoused pretty much everything she was exposed to, and my Dad always hated going to church, so I in turn grew up pretty much without any sort of religious upbringing. As people in my generation are having kids now, this same trend is only going to grow - and those that are exposed to religion as they grow up will always have access to way, way more information if / when they start to have questions or doubts about it.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat May 16, 2015 12:19 pm 
up.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat May 16, 2015 12:46 pm 
Who really knows what (if anything) happens if you step into the tiny Chapel Under the Cross at Kens Truck Stop for a brief moment of silence?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."
PostSat May 16, 2015 5:42 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Who really knows what (if anything) happens if you step into the tiny Chapel Under the Cross at Kens Truck Stop for a brief moment of silence?
probably this

guns don't kill people, blood loss and organ damage do.
touron

touron
PostSat May 16, 2015 8:23 pm 
The nun and Elvis Interview

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.