Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "Rescue" on Pacific Crest Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue May 19, 2015 10:44 am 
This happened in Oregon. There are some lively comments. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/05/3_ohioans_rescued_on_pacific_c.html#incart_river

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 19, 2015 10:53 am 
I especially like the ones blaming the President. These 'people' will always find a way to spread their brain cancer.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 19, 2015 1:17 pm 
Sharing the president's initials makes one especially suspect. My bro told me of a cell phone call to the ranger station from El Cap or somesuch: caller: "I'm tired. I'm just so tired..." etc. ranger: "Are you calling for a rescue?" caller: "I'm just so tired. It's getting late..." They got lucky. The phone's batteries died.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue May 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
The debate will continue in Oregon and Washington about the use of SAR resources. Idaho has decided what to do. No more free lunch.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Chico

Chico
PostWed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
No more free lunch.
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed May 20, 2015 9:09 pm 
We don't know the details, but they couldn't have been that far from the trailhead given the short amount of time they were hiking. By being unable to walk back, they ended up having to wait all day and a good part of the night for a rescue. I cringe though whenever anyone starts talking about charging for rescues.

Chico

Chico
PostThu May 21, 2015 7:58 am 
I can remember at least one story about a pair that called in asking for assistance as they were "too tired".

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:04 am 
People like THIS who have no business in the mountains SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR RESCUE! PERIOD! Frankly its one thing if something happens to you and you BREAK something. These people simply appear to be incompetent and shouldn't have been out there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:25 am 
SAR volunteers walked in and guided these women out. Chico, BPJ & Snowbrushy - you're outraged by the cost? I suggest you guys attend a few local SAR meetings and learn what it's all about.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:31 am 
The problem is determining who should pay and who not. Our neighbor left a burning citronella candle burning on a plastic table and their house burned down, yet they were not billed by the fire department. If you start charging pretty soon folks who need help will not call for it until too late. While these type of cases are frustrating they are not a reason to Chang a system that has worked well in the past.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:37 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you start charging pretty soon folks who need help will not call for it until too late.
I have heard this before and I am just asking: Is this an assumption based on economic behavior or is there a similar situation that has occurred which confirms this? One thing, if more agencies decide to charge people for rescue I feel it could lead to some growth for the insurance industry. Whether it would be for good or for bad I cannot say.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:38 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
The debate will continue in Oregon and Washington about the use of SAR resources. Idaho has decided what to do. No more free lunch.
It looks like 6-2401 only applies to areas you shouldn't be in anyways.
Quote:
LIABILITY FOR EMERGENCY RESPONSES. (1) Any person who knowingly enters into any area that has been closed to the public by competent authority for any reason, where such closure is posted by sign, barricade or other device, is liable for the expenses of an emergency response required to search for or rescue such person or, if the person was operating a vehicle, any of his or her passengers, plus expenses for the removal of any inoperable vehicle.

suziq999

suziq999
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:38 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The problem is determining who should pay and who not. Our neighbor left a burning citronella candle burning on a plastic table and their house burned down, yet they were not billed by the fire department. If you start charging pretty soon folks who need help will not call for it until too late. While these type of cases are frustrating they are not a reason to Chang a system that has worked well in the past.
Pretty sure the fire department gets tax money....

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:41 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
yet they were not billed by the fire department.
but I'll bet their homeowners insurance went up up up!
Schenk wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
If you start charging pretty soon folks who need help will not call for it until too late.
I have heard this before and I am just asking: Is this an assumption based on economic behavior or is there a similar situation that has occurred which confirms this? One thing, if more agencies decide to charge people for rescue I feel it could lead to some growth for the insurance industry. Whether it would be for good or for bad I cannot say.
I'd also like to see some statistics from areas where rescues are charged to see if this premise actually plays out. Seems to me people who really need rescue will call for help no matter what, those who are just thirsty/tired might try a little harder to extract themselves...or God forbid - think twice before going all Daniel Boone king of the wild frontier.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 21, 2015 10:46 am 
but the point is they were not billed back for putting out the fire. nor was this guy who torched his mom's house while being incredibly stupid. something that seems to get lost in these discussions about reimbursement for SAR costs is that a whole lot of it is volunteer muscle and private donations unlike tax-paid fire departments and police departments.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."