Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best time to call the IRS?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm 
No matter what time of day I keep getting the"extremely high caller volume please try back again another time" message. How many times do I have to try? dizzy.gif PM me to keep this sekret. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 22, 2015 2:36 pm 
If I want to talk to someone at Comcast/AT&T/BofA I always hit the "order new service" option - gets me an operator right quick. Not sure if there is an option like that on the IRS directory. Maybe one for "pay bill now" or some such.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm 
You are reaping the results of two IRS budget cuts. If you feel it would benefit you to actually be able to contact the IRS, contact your Congressmen/women and ask that those cuts be restored. Explain to me how anyone that preaches about a balanced budget and/or fiscal responsibility would hamstring the government's revenue collecting function.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri May 22, 2015 6:14 pm 
Can you ask your question in a general way here? I remember lots of tax experts chiming in when someone asked a question.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri May 22, 2015 7:49 pm 
I went to their office in downtown Seattle once. Yes, budget cuts have severely reduced IRS staff.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat May 23, 2015 10:15 am 
I always get other peoples mail.... This time it was me who never got my mail, my tax refund. IRS sent a notice, glad they did. Excited to get a check reissued. Frustrated by not being able to contact them. Wanting to send in a big car payment. That'd be sweet. I'll try some more, got another number to call.

info
sourced

info
sourced
PostSun May 24, 2015 1:35 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
You are reaping the results of two IRS budget cuts. If you feel it would benefit you to actually be able to contact the IRS, contact your Congressmen/women and ask that those cuts be restored.
From the IRS FY 2015 Budget in Brief:
Quote:
Total resources to support IRS activities for FY 2015 are $12,973,630,000. This includes $12,476,527,000 from direct appropriations, of which $480 million is provided via a program integrity cap adjustment intended to improve the integrity of the tax system, an estimated $101,419,000 from reimbursable programs, and an estimated $395,684,000 from user fees. The direct appropriation is $1,185,915,000 more than the FY 2014 enacted level of $11,290,612,000.
The last three IRS budgets were: 2013 $11,198,612,000 2014 $11,290,612,000 2015 $12,476,527,000

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 25, 2015 9:05 am 
^ cherry picking. The IRS budget decreased in 2010, 2011 and 2012. See http://www.factcheck.org/2013/06/a-botched-attack-on-irs-budget/ The IRS is still recovering from Congress continually junking up the IR Code with complex rules (mostly favoring special interests) and simultaneously cutting IRS funding. That is, the IRS has been asked to administer a more and more complex Code with fewer and fewer resources. The result is that tax cheaters are less likely than ever to get caught. But we gotta pay for that $1,700,000,000,000 war somehow, no?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 25, 2015 10:25 am 
Mere mortals have an incredible time filling out the forms on Limited Partnerships and such but the bad guys know how to do it without difficulty. It is a matter of the Golden Rule, he who has the gold makes the rules.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
Matching a 3-year period with the prior 3-year period to provide 6-year info (2010 to 2015) is cherry picking? Who knew?

Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostMon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm 
I confess. Our taxes got complicated enough for me so that we went to an accountant. Close to a $400 fee now. My wife's inheritance, K- form, the state allowing some charitable where the federal will not. How to do my wife's 40 acres of real timber in Western Oregon where we cleaned up blow down. Oregon has a break for federal employees for about half my pension not being state taxed because of a scam Oregon tried to pull. Trivia: With my wife's siblings making it 'difficult' because Mom and Dad didn't set it up properly we've decided to take action now. I'm putting together lists with info on everything. Trust Estates on the way. I don't want my kids stressed and calling the IRS. Good Luck to all of you.

retired USFS
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostWed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 pm 
Brucester wrote:
No matter what time of day I keep getting the"extremely high caller volume please try back again another time" message. How many times do I have to try? dizzy.gif PM me to keep this sekret. smile.gif
Late response, I know. Best time to call is 8am Eastern on Mondays when they first open. I'm a CPA which means I have the good fortune of having to call them regularly. Nobody I know want's to call the IRS first thing Monday morning. I get through every time when I make a point to go into the office early. Good luck!

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 03, 2015 2:57 pm 
Called that new number and still didn't get through. Went to office after checking website somehow I overlooked the by appointment only part. Luckily it was a slow day and there was a kind soul there. smile.gif biggrin.gif Four to six weeks and I get to make a big car payment. up.gif Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses!