Forum Index > Photography Talk > solar battery chargers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 am 
I just biought an old Canon with proprietary battery. Are there solar battery chargers that don't, like, cost $100 and weigh as much as several extra batteries?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 1:03 pm 
There are some but they do not have enough wooph to charge batteries in a reasonable amount of time. For $30 you can get a rechargable battery that will charge cell phones about 5 times and weighs 8oz.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 pm 
Check out Goal Zero. I have a bunch of their products and really like them. Goal Zero

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
scole

scole
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 pm 
I have a Goal Zero as well. Your recharge "mileage" may vary depending on what you're trying to charge. I charged an iPhone 4S from 4% to full in two hours. I then tried to charge a GoPro Hero 3 battery (~1100 mAH) and that took most of the day. I haven't tried charging an SLR battery but given their power (my Pentax batteries are roughly 1800 mAH), they'll definitely take all day to charge.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 pm 
Scole, what panel model is that?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
scole

scole
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 2:13 pm 
I'd have to check (don't have it handy) but I think it's the Nomad 7. I got it as a gift a few years ago.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There are some but they do not have enough wooph to charge batteries in a reasonable amount of time. For $30 you can get a rechargable battery that will charge cell phones about 5 times and weighs 8oz.
ditto.gif Mine weighs 9oz 11000mAh. No farting around with a solar panel which may or may not work. Solar just isn't practical yet except in a few very limited situations.

contour5

contour5
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 pm 
I'd recommend looking at Frys to see if they have batteries. Some of their aftermarket batteries like Lenmar brand are surprisingly cheap.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 am 
mike wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
ditto.gif Mine weighs 9oz 11000mAh. No farting around with a solar panel which may or may not work. Solar just isn't practical yet except in a few very limited situations.
This is $13 at Amazon and weighs 3 oz. The battery is 3200 mah which is great for me as it'll charge my GPS maybe 8 times. There's a USB port on the end, you plug whatever you want to charge into that.
3200 mah 3 oz battery pack
3200 mah 3 oz battery pack
You can figure out the capacity of the camera's battery to get an idea what you need to charge it. We get a lot of overcast skies and hike under a lot of tree cover, this is just a better solution here than solar for short backpack trips.

iron

iron
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 11:21 am 
hmm. interesting product cyclopath. 3 oz equates to about 4 AA batteries. seems like a win. i thought GPS's didn't recharge when plugged in via USB. at least, that's what i was told in a different thread. what batteries do you have in the GPS to get the 8x charge?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 11:33 am 
Probably the best weight and cost effective plan is just to carry several extra batteries.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Conifers

Conifers
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 11:57 am 
I have that anker thing and it does the trick.

mike

mike
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 12:13 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Probably the best weight and cost effective plan is just to carry several extra batteries.
Yep. ditto.gif I carry that battery pack on road trips/travel mostly. We were three days off the grid in UT last month and I was able to recharge the tablet and run the backup harddrive. Also used it a lot in Scotland. Cigarette lighter charging in the car is a PITA. FWIW my gps will charge via the usb but it's simpler to carry spare batteries for it and the camera. Equation would change 3-4 days out.