Forum Index > Photography Talk > Point and shoot recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kweb

kweb
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 pm 
I'm looking for a new compact point and shoot camera. I honestly know very little about them. Currently using an old Canon SX210 IS. Love the size and zoom but pictures don't seem to be as crisp as they used to be and the color temp is always low. Things that are important to me... Size- Must be compact enough to fit in hip belt or shorts pocket. Picture quality- That's a given right? Video- I have a GoPro 4 that I like for wet weather when sound isn't important but I'd like my P&S to be able to capture HD video with the ability to zoom and produce decent audio. Price- Hard to answer this one. I'm cheap. I hate spending money on gadgets but at the same time, I love capturing my experiences. Let's say $500 tops. A quick search looks like the Sony DCS-RX100/B would work for me . Thoughts? Better options?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 pm 
I got a Nikon "cool pix" L28 a couple years ago. $150 out the door with the memory card, batteries, and a little bag to carry it. Cheap. Works. Not the greatest, but it does okay. I won't cry if I drop it on a gravel bar and break it - major reason I went with low end. (I broke TWO Nikon FG-20 bodies dropping them on a gravel bar. Same campsite. Go figure.) I still have never looked at the instruction manual, and shoot everything 'full auto' and the only editing on any of my images is crop/resize. I have a half dozen videos posted on YouTube as ' ski mohawk ' - not fabulous video quality, in my opinion, but I think part of that is what YouTube does when you upload them. I seem to remember them looking a lot clearer when I played them here on the computer. So there's your bottom-line model. No doubt others will offer suggestions for other stuff.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 am 
The Olympus TG-4 ($370) is pretty nice. It is waterproof, shockproof, compact and has the most incredible macro mode. It doesn't have the longest zoom, but it's many features, decent picture quality, and ability to shoot in RAW make up for that. I'm convinced that it's probably the best rugged point-and-shoot on the market. I actually bought the previous model last year (TG-3, very good but much cheaper if you can find it), but had to return it due to a manufacturing defect, and by the time the return was sorted out all the stores were out of it. frown.gif Maybe I'll try again with this years model...... hmmm.gif If you want to go a little higher end, check out a few advanced point-and-shoots such as the Sony Cyber-shot RX100, Panasonic DMC-LX7, Canon Powershot S120, and Canon Powershot G16. These cameras have larger sensors, better manual controls, and higher build quality; bridging the gap between point-and-shoots and DSLRs while maintaining a reasonable price point.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
kweb

kweb
PostSun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 am 
Thanks guys. I'll give that Sony a shot.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 pm 
I would avoid Nikon Coolpix cameras, I have had not so good experiences. A hiking friend bought a FujiFilm Finepix AX point and shoot at Freddy's for $60 bucks a couple of years ago, takes really good pictures and has a nice panorama feature too. Probably going to try to pick one up myself. I don't think Fred's has them anymore, probably try Amazon.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 07, 2015 11:52 pm 
reason I went with the "cool pix" was because my buddy's wife had one - used it for a couple years - and they both loved it. I've had zero problems with it so far. go figure!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 am 
I've never been a big fan of Nikon cameras, especially their consumer-level offerings. A relative of mine bought a low-end Nikon Coolpix several years ago, and it produced absolutely awful images. That was awhile ago however, and they may have improved in recent years.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm 
Me too. While car camping near Winthrop my friend and I snapped a pic of a stream at the same time, he with the el cheepo Fujifilm and I with the Coolpix. His photo (unedited) was exponentially better. Of course every model has differences too. For me, I just want the least expensive and smallest camera I can find that will hopefully last 3-5 years.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 4:32 pm 
I use the waterproof Fuji they are selling at Costco for $150. It also has Bluetooth for whatever that's worth. Seems pretty bulletproof.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
contour5

contour5
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 pm 
I'm on my 2nd cheap Nikon in 8 or 10 years; I've liked both of them just fine. (FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.)

OwenT

OwenT
PostThu Jun 25, 2015 4:16 pm 
If you get the RX100 which I have and it's a great camera, make sure to get at least the mk 2 or 3. For example the II adds a tiltable screen, on top of that the III has a viewfinder and both also are compatible with remote and usb intervalometers and such where the mk I is not (although there is a mod if you know your way around the inside of a camera).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 26, 2015 7:26 pm 
I found the Fugifilm camera on E-bay for $25, as new and works great!

kweb

kweb
PostSun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 pm 
Well, I'm still looking for a good camera. Almost got the RX100 but after a few more hikes with my Canon that has a 14x optical zoom, I realized just how often it comes in handy. So, what's a good point and shoot in the $300 range that has a zoom similar to my Canon?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 am 
Perhaps it isn't fair to generalize, but I've become a little leery of Sony's quality control for their P&S cameras. I had a P&S in their TX series (I forget the model number) [EDIT: It was the DSC-TX5] that was advertised as "rugged" and waterproof. It took good pictures and video and even had an underwater mode you could choose. But get this: if water intruded into the camera, the warranty wouldn't cover it! Also, it had an image stabilizer, consisting of some kind of internal gyro. However, over time, the little weights they used on the gyro would loosen and the image would get all fuzzy from the now-unbalanced gyro! This happened often enough that their were repair shops that would specialize in fixing this very problem (for like $150). Moral to the story: when you find the camera you think sounds the best, check out reviews of long time users.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 1:04 am 
At $500 you're in the high end of the P&S market. The whole category is getting squeezed out between the camera phones and the smaller mirrorless "pro" level cameras. When people who are casual picture takers ask me, I tell them that all cameras selling for $100 or more are "good" these days and to pick one based on the features they want -- your size requirement and desire for HD video are good examples. Beyond that zoom level / wide angle range is a big one, tilt/swivel viewer is important so some (not to me). I dislike touch screen controls, but others like that. For hiking you probably won't want a lens cap requiring an extra hand to remove. Why not save some money and buy used? Here's one set from a reputable review site: High-end pocketable compacts roundup