Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gilbert Peak: King of Goat Rocks & my 100th WA P2K (6/7/15)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 6:12 am 
Nearly four years ago, Greg Slayden, Adam Walker ("Gimpilator"), Adam Helman, and I climbed Big Horn together in the Goat Rocks area. During that same day, Greg, Gimpilator, and I also tried to reach Gilbert Peak (a.k.a. Mount Curtis Gilbert), the highpoint of Goat Rocks, via a ridge traverse. Although it was possible to do, we timed-out due to Big Horn taking up much of the day and because Greg & I each had to work the next morning. As a "thank you" for Greg inviting me on the Big Horn trip, I had promised to return to Gilbert Peak with at a later time. I do not think either of us guessed that would be four years later but we each have very busy schedules. Ken Russell gets credit for organizing this trip together. Him and a buddy of his (Ken O.) decided they preferred to make this an overnight camping trip. Considering the roundtrip 23-25 miles w/ 4500'-5000' cumulative gain, doing this trip as an overnighter is probably the smartest decision for most people. However, Greg and I (especially) are no strangers to long one-day jaunts in wilderness, and we were not able to do a full weekend trip due to other commitments. In fact, the only other time we did a summit trip together as just the two of us was a one-day, roundtrip 17-mile w/ nearly 6000' cumulative gain trip for Big Chiwaukum three years ago. We knew Gilbert Peak would require similar stamina and determination. Greg and I each slept in our cars at the trailhead, got up shortly after 4:00 AM, and were hiking shortly after 4:30 AM. The first 2.5 miles or so was relatively mellow, passing through valley meadows and sparse forests. Eventually, we reached the upper loop junction where the trail steepened, and later a cairned trail junction where the trail steepened even moreso leading up to a saddle.
Many campers & equestrians
Many campers & equestrians
First view of Goat Rocks
First view of Goat Rocks
Looking up at Klickton Divide
Looking up at Klickton Divide
From the saddle, we left the official trail and followed a bootpath which was soon covered over by snowpack. We used our GPS devices and sense of direction to reach Warm Lake, a tiny alpine lake that was still frozen over. We never saw any campsites setup and we began to wonder if the two Kens even did the trip the previous day as expected. From the lake, we had a great view of our ascent approach up Klickton Divide. Soon after passing the lake we could see recent bootprints in the snow leading up the ridge, which we figured were from the two Kens.
(Not-so-) Warm Lake
(Not-so-) Warm Lake
Gilbert Massif from Warm Lake
Gilbert Massif from Warm Lake
Steep snow ascent to ridge
Steep snow ascent to ridge
Once atop Klickton Divide, we followed the ridgeline NNW towards Gilbert Peak. The ridge traverse required some snow travel, some dusty rock travel, some Class 2+ scrambling, and occasional snow-moat travel. Along the way, Greg accidentally stumbled upon a geocache; we both shook our heads in disbelief. This ridge traverse continued for approximately 1.5-2 miles, until we reached the summit hill. The final 400' was the most fun in relation to mountaineering skills; we had to do some steep snow climbing and exposed scrambling along the final ascent. Just beyond one of the upper steep snowfields we encountered the two Kens heading down from the summit.
Heading north along ridge
Heading north along ridge
Gilbert Peak in full view
Gilbert Peak in full view
Soaking in the views
Soaking in the views
After only a few minutes of chatting, our two teams went our separate ways. Greg and I continued traversing and scrambling up to the summit. We each had a great feeling of accomplishment and really enjoyed the 360-degree views of a very interesting region. We were finally atop Gilbert Peak, the highest point of the Goat Rocks area and second-highest peak of Yakima County. This was my 100th Washington peak with at least 2000' of clean prominence, and Greg's 80th. We only stayed at the summit for 20 minutes or so before heading down. The midday heat was becoming more intense and we knew that would only add to the grind of the long descent. During our return, we took a more direct way down from the summit pyramid; the snow conditions were mostly perfect for plunge-stepping (although there were a few iced-over areas).
The two Kens of Gilbert
The two Kens of Gilbert
Scrambling near summit
Scrambling near summit
Benchmark
Benchmark
Satisfied summit team
Satisfied summit team
Summit w/ Saint Helens in back
Summit w/ Saint Helens in back
Lakeview, Adams
Lakeview, Adams
Greg at summit
Greg at summit
Rainier, Tieton
Rainier, Tieton
Me at summit
Me at summit
Looking north from summit
Looking north from summit
Looking west from summit
Looking west from summit
On the high perch
On the high perch
We eventually encountered the two Kens further south on the ridgeline, where the four of us took a well-deserved water break. Shortly thereafter, our two teams took different paths and never encountered each other again on the trip. Greg and I avoided the last major hill by taking a more direct plunge-step descent from Klickton Divide to Warm Lake, while the two Kens continued along the ridgetop further along the original approach. Soon after descending slopes below Warm Lake, we found a snow-fed stream with some of the coldest water I had drank in quite a long time; it was very refreshing and we wasted no time filling our water containers. We continued on the slog, eventually finding sections of a bootpath that we missed during our ascent. We reached the saddle with an official trail, where we took a short break before continuing the descent. Although we were now mostly protected by surrounding trees and forests from direct sun, the heat was amazingly intense for early June. In my opinion, the intensifying heat was the worst part of the entire day. The combination of the heat and long hiking day made the trail seem even longer than it had on the ascent. Once on the main trail, we encountered a solo hiker and later a group of four people; we were amazed how few people were seen hiking in this area with so many vehicles near the trailhead. The final 2.5 miles in the valley meadows was a real grind, mostly exposed to the hottest time of the day. We each persevered and were soon back at our cars. We were both very proud of what we had accomplished in that single day. The ride home was uneventful and, although I cannot speak for Greg, I slept very well that night. A long day in intense heat will do that to a person.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Paul M

Paul M
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:30 am 
Nice job Craig with the long daytrip and congrats on 100 Wash P2Ks! I know what you mean about hiking in the long hot sun. Thank goodness for early starts!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:53 am 
up.gif Good one we camped at Warm Lake last year and came in that way. Nice route / scramble.

Living in the Anthropocene
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 9:37 am 
Hell yeah guys!!! What a killer trip!!!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 9:57 am 
Gilbert is interesting in that it was much like Adams at over 10,000' and erupted blowing 2,000' of it off the top. hairy.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
dundeel

dundeel
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 pm 
Good job on doing the trip in one day. The Kens were pretty much wiped out after our two day trip. That heat was hard to handle. I was drinking lots of water but nothing was coming out the other end. eek.gif We glissaded part of the way down from the ridge. biggrin.gif

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up and going anyway. - John Wayne