Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 105F in Columbia Gorge on I-90 last Sunday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 6:08 pm 
Coming down the eastside of the gorge, about halfway down to the Vantage bridge. ..... That's the highest temp we saw, midafternoon on Sunday, but there were many 100+ areas up on the plateau west of Moses Lake. Larch's 2015 Subaru Forester did a great job of showing the variations from point to point. For instance, midafternoon, the east side of those tiny rises was always a couple of degrees cooler than the west side. TGFAC agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 6:25 pm 
It is in the 100's over here in Wenatchee I keep running earlier every day I think the low tonight is 74.

Living in the Anthropocene
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 7:28 pm 
Boiling here in SW Washington, no relief from the heat in the mountains either; upper 80's at 5,000 feet in Mt. St. Helens NVM! Beautiful, but I can't say it's the most pleasant weather for hiking!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 12:51 am 
It was 99.8 at my house in Cle Elum. Ah, AC RULES!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 5:25 am 
ditto.gif Crank the AC, turn up the stereo, and have a cup of coffee. agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:41 am 
I guess I need enlightening. When I see Columbia Gorge, I think the lower Columbia--Hood River, Stevenson, etc. When did the Vantage area become The Gorge? Has it always been that way or has the concert venue changed things. My dad was born and raised on the lower Columbia so maybe that's why my thinking on this is different. It is confusing to me.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 am 
treeswarper wrote:
When I see Columbia Gorge, I think the lower Columbia
What generation are you? Get cool. Be cool in the afternoon with some rock. Morton.. smile.gif
Best-Concer-Venues-Gorge
Best-Concer-Venues-Gorge

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 2:32 pm 
I have always felt that the concert venue should have been named "The Coulee" or "The Amphitheater at Vantage" or something similar, because the area doesn't have the grandeur and vertical relief of the real Columbia River Gorge. But I suppose the "Gorge" rolls off the tongue better . Same folks probably named places like "Grouse Run" and "Quail Hills" or "Cedar Ridge"..places with no grouse, quail, or cedars. To me, and most of the rest of the world, the Columbia River Gorge has always been the section of the Columbia from Troutdale (mouth of the Sandy River) to about The Dalles for as long as I have been around. There is also the Official Designation: The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, which includes the area surrounding the Columbia from the mouth of the Sandy River to the mouth of the Deschutes. http://www.fs.usda.gov/crgnsa Anyway...that doesn't change how HOT it is right now. Yech...I wasn't built for these temperatures. Another batch of record high temperatures will fall today too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 5:38 pm 
And here on the eastside of the wetside we are harvesting garlic from our garden 4 weeks earlier than usual.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm 
It is cooling off nicely here now. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 11:42 pm 
Since I grew up in White Salmon, that is definitely the real "The Gorge." And I'm sure it was bloody hot there recently as well.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 1:58 pm 
Joey wrote:
And here on the eastside of the wetside we are harvesting garlic from our garden 4 weeks earlier than usual.
Yeah...no kidding. Mine is doing the "harvest me" flop.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 3:39 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I have always felt that the concert venue should have been named "The Coulee"
I fully agree. How about, "Hot Coulee" or "Rock Coulee"? "The Flow". agree.gif Definition: Coulee (or coulée) is applied rather loosely to different landforms, all of which refer to a kind of valley or drainage zone. The word coulee comes from the Canadian French coulée, from French word couler meaning "to flow". At any rate, there's no sense in needlessly confusing old men with chainsaws up in Morton. embarassedlaugh.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 pm 
We just call it, The Vantage Area. As in The Vantage Bridge, or the Vantage hill. I expect it to be warm there, and maybe wrongly, warmer than in the Columbia Gorge. Next time I see an old man in Morton, I'll inquire about this topic.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 pm 
The Dalles is often the hottest spot in Oregon. Just east of Hood River and White Salmon. Portland is usually a fair bit warmer than Seattle. The Gorge is usually plenty warm during the summer. Extended periods of temps in the 90's or triple digits isn't uncommon at all.