Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 3:55 pm 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
No sh## last time I was in the enchantments I saw a guy taking a dump right beside the trail; yelled at him and he ran off trying to cover is gleaming white ass
The very popular climbing routes on Mt Adams "suggests/require" packing out human waste:
Quote:
On Mt. Adams climbing routes, pack out all solid wastes. Human waste pack-out bags are available for free at the Mt. Adams Ranger Station. Disposal cans are located at the South Climb Trailhead.
"Packing it *ALL* out is also a requirement in popular areas of Mt Rainier (or using the toilets provided) I wonder how stinky it will get in the Enchantments before similar requirements become part of the Enchantments experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 5:54 pm 
This is why I get irritated whenever people say "We need to encourage more people to get outdoors and enjoy our beautiful trails!" No we don't. The trails are crowded enough as it is with imbeciles who can't even figure out how to poop in the woods without strewing it everywhere. Only a total lunatic would demand even more of it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
This is why I get irritated whenever people say "We need to encourage more people to get outdoors and enjoy our beautiful trails!" No we don't. The trails are crowded enough as it is with imbeciles who can't even figure out how to poop in the woods without strewing it everywhere. Only a total lunatic would demand even more of it.
TAH are you channeling Emmett Watson?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 am 
They need to hand out a small trowel with every permit, and before you get the permit be forced to listen to a short lecture on pooping. My 2 cents!

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 6:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
TAH are you channeling Emmett Watson?
Definitely time to resurrect the original seattle curmudgeon smile.gif I'd like to see Marge (from monsters inc) do the demo at the Rangers office

Dect6

Dect6
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 8:26 am 
This all happened when the Californians moved up here!! rant.gif winksmile.gif

tinytowers

tinytowers
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 8:41 am 
"Go to the Beartooths in Montana or the Wind River range in Wyoming. Each are: Very similar in appearance to the Enchantments. The areas are mucho larger than the Enchantments. You can definitely find your own lake. There is NEVER a permit. Beartooths: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDgiIaFCww[/" Or the Selkirks or Cabinets. I was up in the cabinets last week to summit Engle Peak. Didnt see a single foot print in the small snow patches on the way up. The Cascades are a bit over rated. I remember hearing commercial airliners fly over me all night last year on the PCT near Stevens.

Scramblin_james
Dungeness Dweller

Scramblin_james
Dungeness Dweller
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 am 
I poop in the woods. I bury my poop. You will never see it. Not that this is any of your business. Other people poop in the woods too. I think more people should connect with nature, going on a hike or into a national or state park is not the same as connecting with nature. Going into nature and not being conscious of where you are is worse than staying in the city. Please love mother nature.

A man’s true wealth is the good he does in the world. Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. But you are eternity and you are the mirror. –Kahlil Gibran
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:14 am 
Kat wrote:
They need to hand out a small trowel with every permit,
Enchantments Human waste rules:
Quote:
Toilet Facilities & Water Quality Use toilets where provided. Do not put trash into toilets; use them for their intended purpose only. If you're not near a toilet, dig a cat hole 6 to 8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water sources or campsites. When finished, fill hole and cover with soil. Do not urinate on vegetation or soils. Use gaps between boulders, crevices in rocks, large flat rocks, sandy bare areas, or the toilets provided. Urine attracts goats and leads to pawing and chewing of plants and soil and may lead to abnormal aggressive animal behavior. Bathe and wash dishes at least 150-200 feet from lakes and streams. Remember that ALL soaps, including biodegradable soaps, pollute water. Treat all water by boiling, using purification tablets, or filtering.

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am 
Sadly, there's not a lot that can be done about this stuff aside from reducing the # of them. People suck. I live in a condo in Seattle and the other residents will bring their garbage/recycle down and just leave it in the garage. It takes about 20 extra seconds to walk it over to the garbage room. But nope, that's too much effort. We have a roof deck with a great view and people just leave their garbage everywhere expecting others to clean up after them. This mentality doesn't seem to change in the outdoors. You would think it would, but the majority of people who hike are NOT NWhikers. Hiking/camping to them is a social experience and they bring all of their bad city habits with them. I'm with TAH. Stay home.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:34 am 
It's a bummer to hear that is going on. Maybe try at the other end of permit season. I went in late October once and it was pretty sparse. Crowds seem to thin out with overnight lows in the teens.

Lono

Lono
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 am 
They are coming because no permits are required before permit season - the attraction is to camping in the Enchantments without permits. I doubt they expected 400 other people to have the same idea and together they pounded the Enchantments. Personally I haven't been up there since 1973 when we saw the impact that people were having on the area. If you are concerned about the Enchantments now I recommend rethinking bombing the place prior to the permit season. Its now such a hot place to camp that such intensive attention by hundreds of out of seasons campers can't do it very much good. If you can't think of anywhere else to go in May or June them maybe NWH can compile a thinking list of alternatives.

Hutch

Hutch
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
About five percent of our trails are overcrowded from June to August. If you can't figure out which ones those are and avoid them during those times, then the problem is YOU.
CAN I GET AN AMEN??!!!

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
About five percent of our trails are overcrowded from June to August. If you can't figure out which ones those are and avoid them during those times, then the problem is YOU.
No. The problem is with the selfish idiots who think they can sh## everywhere and trash pristine wilderness areas. So yeah, fewer of those idiots out there is better for everyone who isn't one. I'm not bitching about overcrowding. I find it really easy to avoid people. Even on the most popular trails, it's all about timing. But I will not hide my disgust for the people who leave trash and sh## everywhere.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am 
This year's pre-season was unusually crowded due the early snow melt. I had core zone for mid-july in 2011 (A very snowy year) and it was hard to find any bare ground. As a skier I certainly hope that in years to come the pre-season will much more snow covered than this year.