Forum Index > Trip Reports > silver star 6-7-2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 5:58 pm 
silver star 6-7-2015
fun in the sun :>) surprisingly good conditions on climb and approach. i thought since we were so late in the year there would be problems. but we seemed to avoid most of them thanks to some excellent route finding by the taxman and blake. we followed the trail pretty well until the swampy area, then went cross country in not awful terrain to get to the open meadows. taxman found a cairn and we found a path nearby that went uphill along side the meadow's stream. it eventually petered out very close to the upper boulder field, which we attained by scrambling up moderately steep vegetation for a short distance. after hopping boulders for a minute we hit the snow that took us to the high col below the summit. i scrambled some dirt and rocks to get to the final snowfield below the summit. i softly and carefully kicked steps in the soft snow and made sure that everyone else was extremely gentle with the steps, as i did not want them to blow out and we had 8 of us to get up and down. i led up the usual rightward ramp just below the summit and turned the not that awkward corner and up the final gully to the summit.
no one wanted or needed a rope. the snow was soft enough to plunge step, but i made everyone descend face in, being very careful and gentle, not to blow out the steps. found water a few hundred feet below the col and was glad i did. the hot day affected the crew, but they where quite strong(although we moved at a moderate pace) and powered through. everyone was tired at the end, but everyone had a blast! :>)
9.93mi 5538' gain 7:14 car to summit 0:34 summit stay 5:11 summit to car 12:58 car to car equipment: ice axe, helmet equipment brought, but not used: crampons, harness, two 30m ropes compare to 2014 8:06 car to summit (6:37 car to col below summit) 1:17 summit stay 4:19 summit to car 13:42 car to car
compare to 2013: 6:23 car to saddle below summit 0:22 break 0:34 saddle to summit 0:20 summit stay 4:50 summit to car 12:28 car to car compare to 2012: 5:23 car to col below summit (including 0:16 waiting for last ones to get going) 0:28 break at col 0:12 col to summit 0:51 summit stay 3:29 summit to car 10:24 car to car compare to 6-5-2011: 6:38 car to summit 0:24 summit stay 3:00 summit to car 10:02 car to car

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 8:04 pm 
Nice day for it. Were all those trips via the Silver Star creek route? Until I looked at your map I never noticed there was another "Silver Star" point 6986' to the NE of the main mountain. How did that ever get through the Board of Geographic Names?

b00

b00
PostTue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Were all those trips via the Silver Star creek route?
yes all the trips listed above were the silver star creek approach. i left out the burgundy col approaches, as it was not a good comparison. :>)

iron

iron
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 7:49 am 
b00 wrote:
everyone was tired at the end, but everyone had a blast!
you must be talking about others. you're never tired.