Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tatoosh Buttes,Tamarack,Ptarmigan,Blackcap,Osceola 7/2-4/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jul 05, 2015 5:25 pm 
Heather and I set out from Slate Pass early Thursday morning and hiked a long way through the Middle Fork Pasayten valley to the trail junction which crosses Lease Creek. From there we followed another trail up Tatoosh Buttes and Tamarack Ridge. No registers on those summits.
Slate
Slate
Lago, Carru
Lago, Carru
Fire
Fire
Jack
Jack
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Lost
Lost
Ptarmigan summit
Ptarmigan summit
Lago from Ptarmigan
Lago from Ptarmigan
Dot
Dot
I had envisioned getting Ptarmigan from the north but had never considered this approach until Heather suggested it. She had been as far as Tatoosh Buttes before. We could see a large fire to the east, somewhere out past Cathedral Peak.
Dot summit
Dot summit
Lago / Carru col
Lago / Carru col
We descended the standard route going over Dot Mountain and then over to the Lago / Carru Col. At the col we had just enough time to make it down to Eureka Creek before dark. Thankfully Heather remembered where the good camping spots were from her solo trip the previous year. I think this first day was something like 27 miles.
Blackcap
Blackcap
The next morning we tried to access Lake and Monument by going over the shoulder of Blackcap and then traversing around the upper basin which feeds the headwaters of Monument Creek. By studying satellite images, We had found a nice looking gully which would surely allow access to these two peaks. Topo maps suggested the gully would be about 30 degrees and being north facing, it should have been a nice snow climb.
descending the shoulder of Blackcap
descending the shoulder of Blackcap
gully
gully
In reality it was mostly melted out, and two thirds of the way up we came to some of the most rotten scree and talus I have seen in the Cascades. Large blocks were poised to go and held in by rotten mud and red dirt. It would certainly not have been safe proceed without helmets, and probably not even with them. It's a shame we didn't have the snow we needed.
Blackcap
Blackcap
scrambling
scrambling
register
1 label
register
Monument from Blackcap
Monument from Blackcap
Our consolation prize was a scramble up Blackcap. Heather had already been up there last year and we both burst out laughing when we saw that she was the last person to sign the register. I've never seen someone sign a register twice in a row like that. That evening we camped back in the Eureka Valley.
ascending Osceola
ascending Osceola
Carru, Lago
Carru, Lago
48!
48!
Osceola
Osceola
bear tracks
bear tracks
Lupine near Slate Pass
Lupine near Slate Pass
On our last day I showed Heather the gully route I took on the south side of Osceola which avoids Lake Doris. It was her 48th on the Top 100. As we were preparing to hike out, two guys showed up. I think one of them was Dustin Trails. Sorry if I heard your name wrong. But very cool to run into other folks from NWH out there!
route
route

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 pm 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm 
up.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 05, 2015 8:15 pm 
Ha, very nice! I've been researching nearly the exact same trip the past week or two. How was it getting through the Carru / Lago col?

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 9:15 am 
that is quite some distance there you two!

Art is an adventure.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 11:06 am 
Opus wrote:
How was it getting through the Carru / Lago col?
Good question. Actually, it was one of the more pleasant parts of the trip. Make sure you go over the last bump before Lago before starting the traverse to the col. We crossed a ton of talus on this trip, but between the Lago/Dot ridge and the Carru/Lago col it was more stable and there were some mossy benches and slabby benches to break it up. The north side of the col still has some snow but it was soft in the evening. I carried an axe and micro spikes on this trip. I used the micro-spikes once but not the axe. I probably could have done without either. Good luck!

Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostSun Jul 12, 2015 10:52 pm 
Yeah, hey Adam it was ironic running into you while I had your trip report in my bag. Thanks for the beta on Osceola! Also, on the descent we found the direct route to Doris. That region seems to be pretty quiet, even on the holiday weekend. You two were the only people we saw past the Middle Fork Pasayten turnoff, just below Slate Pass. I still need to write up a report for our Lago/Carru/Osceola trip!