Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tamanos and Governers Ridge BM 7/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 11:15 pm 
Tamanos Mtn and Governors Ridge BM(Barrier) 6566 I want to make good use of my yearly MRNP pass I bought a few weeks back. I headed back to the Sunrise area for a couple more peaks. The park was already busy at 9am with a 10-15min wait at the gate. I was glad there was still good parking right at the trhd. I made quick work of the nice, mellow trail to Owyhigh Lakes. Before reaching the lakes I headed across the valley toward Governors. Travel to the summit was easy with game trails most of the way. There is a nice meadow area about 1000ft down stream from the lake. The game trails I took head up the woods on the south of the openish area shown on USGS maps. Below the cliff bands (5800) a prominent game trail does a rising traverse to the saddle between 6333 and the summit. I did a little digging in the summit cairn and found a old pill bottle with a fragile reg paper inside. This summit has some trees near the top and there are not 360views. Still a nice place though.
Rainier Emerges
Rainier Emerges
toward the pass Hwy 410
toward the pass Hwy 410
cowlitz chimneys and owyhigh lakes
cowlitz chimneys and owyhigh lakes
old reg paper
old reg paper
butterfly
butterfly
Rainier from governors bm
Rainier from governors bm
I descended down to Owyhigh Lakes and then hiked up to the turn off for the climbers path to Tamanos. By now it was full on sun on the open slopes to the summit. My pace slowed down as I tried not to overheat. At least there were some fresh blueberries at the beginning to give me a boost. July blueberries are pretty nice.
pano
pano
rainier from hike up tamanos
rainier from hike up tamanos
cowlitz chimneys
cowlitz chimneys
governors and barrier
governors and barrier
Another fun day in MRNP. I think a few more trips to the park are in order. Trip time about 9hrs, Flowers are past their prime. some other pics
new glacial lake
new glacial lake
ice falls
ice falls
busy sunrise visitor center
busy sunrise visitor center
governors not the BM
governors not the BM
cowlitz chimneys
cowlitz chimneys
middle chimney
middle chimney