Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kettle Range: Columbia lookout and loop 7/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 7:42 pm 
This was my first hike in this area. A few years back I recall checking out a book at the Bellingham library called "Columbia Highlands: Exploring Washington's Last Frontier". I was captivated by this region but the Mt. Baker and North Cascades highways had everything I needed for hiking and mountaineering, so I kept my self-imposed, narrow focus on the N. Cascades. Now that I'm living on the dry side, I have a lot of great terrain that I previously overlooked. The Kettles are beautiful. Wilderness quality terrain with a ton of solitude. What they lack in dramatic alpine scenery they make up for in other ways. It's hard for me to explain, but something about the bluish/green hue of the forested skyline and how it interacted with the sky was especially striking. Not sure the pictures do it justice. NOAA forecasted 75 degrees or so, and it felt about right. There was a pleasant balance of forest walking in the shade and patches of meadow with more sun exposure and views. The trail was in great shape. There were some wildflowers but probably nothing compared with a month or two ago. This is the most accessible trailhead in the range and we saw one party on the trail. On a sunny Saturday. So if you live on the west side of the state, like most of us do, I would caution you against writing this place off.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 7:57 pm 
It is a very pretty trail. I visited it not long after the Passages in Time restoration project, which I had read about. They used mostly historical techniques to restore it. I'm surprised and happy for you that it was only 75 degrees; it is high up, though; I always think it's so hot over there.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 8:22 pm 
Cool link. What a job that must have been to restore it.