verrry senior member
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:02 am 
Great to see this post Joey. I wondered why it had not been brought up yet. That New Yorker article is rather scary. There have been other articles and discussions since, including one on Reddit featuring John Vidale, director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, Debbie Goetz of Seattle’s Emergency Management Office and Sandi Doughton, science writer at The Seattle Times. Here's a link to that forum where they are taking questions brought up in the New Yorker piece. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 am 
geo-scientists have been aware of the possibility of level 9 quakes in the Cascadian subduction zone for decades now... But I suspect this won't result in higher building standards until after one of those actually hits -- and maybe even then. I recall reading something recently that in Japan after the recent big tsunamis that they found man made "high water" markers on the hillsides above inlets in Japan from the 1700 cascadian quake tsunamis. The markers had warnings -- but after a couple of generations -- people started building below the markers again. Buying a house is Ocean Shores is an interesting gamble.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 11:34 am 
Just visiting Ocean Shores is a gamble. If it hits in the summer, thousands of people will be trying to evacuate by car down a narrow, two-lane road in less than 30 minutes. Guaranteed fail. May as well head the other direction and grab a good seat on the jetty to watch the waves come in. Juxtaposed against the discussion about safety-proofing the ice caves, what will the rest of the country say about all the people who "should have known better" than building on sand spits in tsunami country? The risk is not news. Every now and then someone's book or article raises the point, everybody agrees we should be better prepared, and a few weeks later it's business as usual...

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 am 
from Ocean Shores it's about an hour's drive before you get to higher ground east of Elma. where you gonna go? we're all gonna die

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 11:54 am 
zephyr wrote:
There have been other articles and discussions since, including one on Reddit featuring John Vidale, director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, Debbie Goetz of Seattle’s Emergency Management Office and Sandi Doughton, science writer at The Seattle Times. Here's a link to that forum where they are taking questions brought up in the New Yorker piece.
Here is the comment I added to the Reddit thread ================================ Is there something that you experts can do that will help convince state, county, city and other local first responders to learn about U.S. National Grid (USNG) coordinates before the Big One hits? USNG is the federal standard for ground-based search and rescue. When federal teams from across the country arrive here to help after the Big One they are going to be using USNG coordinates on their GPSs in order to keep track of their location. The federal teams that come here to help are *not* going to use: * Street signs. Those are gone, washed away, burn up, busted, buried under debris. * Landmarks. Hey, those teams do not live here and have no clue about local landmarks. * Latitude longitude coordinates. Way too confusing since they can be written in 3 different ways. If local first responders are not trained in the use of USNG coordinates, then that oversight is guaranteed to cause immediate confusion since the local responders will not be able to speak the same language of location that the out-of-state federal teams are using. USNG exists because hurricanes happen. In the past, responders from outside of hurricane damaged areas were using at least 4 different kinds of coordinates on their GPSs. These different languages of location caused much confusion and inefficiency. USNG fixes all that since everyone speaks the same location lingo. Now some good news. There is a ton of free USNG training available. Here is a just-posted video on USNG produced by Iowa Task Force 1, one of the nation’s premier search and rescue teams. Guess what! There is a good chance this will be one of the teams sent here to help us.
1-pager from FEMA: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/coffee-break/cr/cr_2015_7.pdf More USNG help/training/links: http://usngcenter.org/ Finally, I happen to be a software developer. One of my projects is Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer. Gmap4 can display a USNG grid down to 100 meters. This software is a public service from me and part of my way to “pay it forward”. Here is a link that displays the Google aerial for the greater Seattle area and a USNG grid. Keep zooming in and you will get to a 100 meter grid. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?usng=10T_ET_5528_7238&tilt=off&z=11&t=h If you open the above link with a mobile device that is online, then the map will display in your browser and show you a touch-friendly interface. To turn on geolocation, touch Menu ==> My location. And for more info about Gmap4 or to find my contact page, please see: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html Thanks for reading. I am always happy to answer questions and talk maps. Joseph

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 pm 
Yep, living in Eastern Washington is the best way to experience Washington! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 12:29 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
But I suspect this won't result in higher building standards until after one of those actually hits -- and maybe even then.
Higher than what? My understanding is that new structures such as roads, bridges, and buildings are built to fairly high seismic standards. IIRC they must be engineered to withstand an 8.0 or 8.5. Building everything to withstand a 9.0 or higher would be extremely expensive.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
from Ocean Shores it's about an hour's drive before you get to higher ground east of Elma. where you gonna go?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
Joey wrote:
Thanks for reading. I am always happy to answer questions and talk maps. Joseph
Thanks, Joey for being such a positive force in our community. Much appreciation for your efforts and good will. Gmap4 alone has been such a valuable resource tool. Again, thanks for getting the word out on this issue which affects all of us in the Northwest. ~z

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 3:02 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Yep, living in Eastern Washington is the best way to experience Washington! hockeygrin.gif
The big wave will hit the slopes and rise up, leaping over the crest and splashing down somewhere in the vicinity of Cle Elum. Just like a mountain biker riding over jumps and getting some air.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 3:11 pm 
The north beach evac routes are up the local logging roads. For example the folks in Taholah - they have to drive south a couple miles (or did) before heading inland. Elevation wise it's pretty flat until you reach the foothills for the Olympics. Pretty scary all right. All you can hope for is the water doesn't make it that far inland. South beach is somewhat better with the higher ground to the east. When the new school for Westport kids is built you can head there and hope you're safe. That is what they say and time will tell. Abredeen/Hoquiam - they're gone. Montesano - hard to say, Maybe it'll survive. Maybe not with the Chehalis River.

Cohokiller

Cohokiller
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 4:55 pm 
Chico wrote:
The north beach evac routes are up the local logging roads. For example the folks in Taholah - they have to drive south a couple miles (or did) before heading inland. Elevation wise it's pretty flat until you reach the foothills for the Olympics. Pretty scary all right. All you can hope for is the water doesn't make it that far inland
The QIN is in the process of moving Taholah up onto the hill....all the houses and administration and such.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 5:40 pm 
Cohokiller wrote:
The QIN is in the process of moving Taholah up onto the hill....all the houses and administration and such.
Part of the reason is the lower parts of town are going under water at high tide. That portion along the river itself and the section facing the ocean are most at risk. Unfortunately the new elevation although higher, would not be enough in the event of a big one (like in the movies). But then few of us would be. Let's all head to the Rockies!

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 6:45 pm 
Chico wrote:
Let's all head to the Rockies!
Kansas...Kansas would be safe.