Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Posting terms
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
UPDATED TERMS (9/3/2020) It is disheartening to see this site transform from what was once a positive, fun, spirit filled community to one more often than not dominated by contentious discussion and negativity. In light of this we are going to implement a stricter posting standard. Call it the family rule. Treat this community as you would your family. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Be constructive if raising a valid criticism. Check your negativity at the door. If you have an issue with something in a trip report send a private message intead of calling someone out publicly. Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you just come here to argue, please don't. The bar on the internet may be low, but it really isn't hard to be nice. If you bring negativity to the forum you will be asked to leave. This site won't be going away any time soon, but we can do better. Thanks to the all who have stuck around through the thick and thin and made this site the valued resource it is today, and for many years to come. I will be adding a pop up prompt such that posting will be restricted until these updated terms are read and agreed to.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:36 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm 
Click here for a more detailed summary of our registration terms and other policies. This site has always been lightly moderated thanks to all of you. We'd really like to keep it that way so before hitting the reply or submit button I would like to ask everyone to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community? Nothing wrong with healthy debate but let's keep it civil, refrain from personal attacks, and remember this site is what you choose to make it. Thank you! Edit: It seems a few here have not read this post (or taken it to heart) so everyone is being asked to pledge to abide by this request (you will be prompted before posting). Also, to clarify, this is not simply a request for civility. Please consider whether your contribution adds value to this site before posting. If you can't think of anything value added to post I would suggest browsing the trip report forum and thanking someone for their contribution. A little goes a long way. Thanks again and I can't emphasize enough this place is what you choose to make it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 1:29 pm 
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm 
Important message Tom, thanks!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm 
up.gif up.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 pm 
OK Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 3:09 pm 
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 4:33 pm 
I keep trying to think of something worth saying or hearing, but nothing happens...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 4:35 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I keep trying to think of something worth saying or hearing, but nothing happens...
You forgot reading, seeing, feeling!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 pm 
Tom wrote:
..to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community?
Yes! Thank you Tom. Well said. up.gif ~z

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm 
Quote:
wolffie wrote:I keep trying to think of something worth saying or hearing, but nothing happens...

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm 
up.gif up.gif rbuzby, nice contribution!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 8:39 pm 
I will refrain from "personal attacks" unless they attack me first, then it's game on. bug.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I will refrain from "personal attacks" unless they attack me first, then it's game on. bug.gif
Chief Joseph, there are a lot of ways to think about this. I would be interested to hear others' opinions. As for mine, let's start with Tom's request above: "...before hitting the reply or submit button I would like to ask everyone to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community?" I don't see how you defending yourself from someone's self-defeating personal attack against you adds value to the site. It's not positive, it's not helpful. It won't make people want to return to this site and be a part of this community. I suggest trying to apply these criteria to all posts. Thoughts?

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
I don't see how you defending yourself from someone's self-defeating personal attack against you adds value to the site. It's not positive, it's not helpful. It won't make people want to return to this site and be a part of this community. I suggest trying to apply these criteria to all posts. Thoughts?
Also well said. Someone once told me "silence is always an option". If you absolutely must say something negative, use the PM box.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 am 
Well heck, if this is what it takes to see (read hear) more from Thomas, everybody be bad! LOL. Ive been more guilty than most. Good words TD.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln