Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buckindy High Route July 2 - 9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 9:35 am 
sorry I missed you by a coupla hours....saw you from afar just as I was going up to Misch!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 am 
Wow, that's a really cool route. It's a big area of the Cascades I've never been in. I've been out on some hot days recently but it never occurred to me to tie up a space blanket or similar item for shade. I guess I usually stopped by a tree. But that's a good idea.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 11:59 am 
RichP: Thanks; the heat was difficult; fortunately early starts and care to make sure the water bags were filled kept us out of trouble. I look forward to hearing how the pipeline goes and maybe sometime we will meet again in the wilds (Maybe Lyman Lake??!) Glenn: A McHale backpack it is and it rocks; never had a more comfortable fit ever. Pricy but worth it. Looking forward to revisiting the past next week with you Bro! Stefan: I think that is about as crowded as Misch and Buckindy gets... It would have been nice to have met up in the great outdoors, but it was not meant to be! How about that fun approach?? Puzzlr: I swear by my tarp; best 1 lb in my pack. Endless time in the tent is boring... Zachster: Kind words, I wonder sometimes what craziness inside drives me/us to do such nutty stuff when most others hit the fancy resorts or chill on a beach? I have lots of answers (probably none very good!) but it`s a good question. Eric: Thanks and it was really rewarding to bring T along; really hope we can get the boys out soon, PM to come!

wotan

wotan
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 1:24 pm 
Yep. Vern has been around a while. He was a mentor of mine in the 70s when I was a mtn pup. Too bad there weren't more swimming holes.

Tshletshy Dreamer

Tshletshy Dreamer
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 pm 
Congrats to the three of you! Great trip report as usual Mark! And Tom, the irreverently labelled photos were a great contrast to the text. Very high belly-laugh quotient!

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 5:40 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
My suspect is quite a few parties go in to climb Misch and Buckindy as they are in the top 200 peaks in Washington, but I suspect the full traverse is done rarely. Glad I missed the fun rappel!
Oh I'd never been so glad to do a rappel, ever. It was the 150 feet above it that we downclimbed that was eye popping. We didn't find solid rock you could hang a sling off until almost to the bottom. Beckey calls this a couple of rappels, but it wasn't stuff I'd want to pull a rope over (for the sake of clear information). In 1991, Buckindy was relatively undiscovered (only 20 or so ascents), I have the first female ascent - 48 hours of bushschwacking and then 15 seconds of fame. . . dizzy.gif Beckey is full of hidden gems, wonderful fun on those long, wet winter evenings!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 10:08 pm 
Great job getting the traverse done in tough conditions, with the lack of snow this year. It is a beautiful collection of terrain.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
KarlK

KarlK
PostWed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 pm 
This is my favorite trip report in a long time. Gotta do that traverse.

Karl J Kaiyala
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 am 
Thanks KK. Kascadia, I suspected a two double rope rappel might be unpleasant and couldn`t really find any info out there to clue me in about what it was really like. Coming so far into the traverse, I figured an alternate route would be smart. Fortunately, a super great source suggested the Buckindy glacier alternative and despite its broken state, I think it beat the alternative. Pretty cool being the first woman up Buckindy.... Wotan: In our brief encounter with Vern, I was impressed at his fortitude and cheery attitude for a gentleman of his years. I want to grow up to be like him.....

Animal

Animal
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm 
Thanks for the great TR! It was a pleasure running into all of you on such a great traverse! Have a great summer climbing! Kevin Koski (the Animal)

Free the heel, Free the mind, Free the soul!
KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
A McHale backpack it is and it rocks; never had a more comfortable fit ever. Pricy but worth it.
cascadetraverser wrote:
I swear by my tarp; best 1 lb in my pack. Endless time in the tent is boring...
Bingo, and bingo. Regarding the pack, you get a lot more than you pay for in terms of comfort and performance, so it winds up being a bargain. I've carried 120+ loads in a SARC Dan made for me in 1998, and that pack is still going strong. Sure, it's been sweated in so much it sometimes smells like a toxic jock strap well seasoned by some really gnarly gnarlies, but periodic soaks in a solution of Boraxo mitigates that effect quite nicely. Tarp camping considerably enhances the overall experience and reduces pack weight by 3 lbs or more.

Karl J Kaiyala
b00

b00
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 9:41 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
...Tom and I climbed Snowking.
wow! i can't wait to see what you come up with for next year and see your next t/r! ps - i thought you didn't climb the mountains on your trips :>)