Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > the future of Wallace Falls State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cohokiller

Cohokiller
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:02 pm 
Ski wrote:
they're going to catch holy hell if that slope slumps down into the river at a later date. they have a geologist go out and take a look at it yet?
I mean I haven't put boots on the ground but bedrock comes out right there. Slides probably aren't an issue and heck, most of that upper watershed was logged to the hilt not so many years ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm 
bear in mind the Boistfort slide and the Oso slide - another episode like that will really be a black eye for DNR. I think it would be wise to err on the side of caution. if it's stable, it's stable. just wondering if they've checked it out. as I said: I don't know the area.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 1:14 pm 
This is all east of the falls and I would be very surprised if it had any visual impact from the trails to the falls. Most of this area was clearcut back in the 50's and was all replanted with hemlock. IMO it needs to be cut again so they can diversify some of the species in that area.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 2:26 pm 
When i hike Wallace falls I go up the popular falls trail, then continue up to the lake, then loop it with the DNR roads back (12 mile day). Rarely see more that a handful of people off the falls trail. The DNR roads have areas that had already been logged, the were actively logging when i went through there once a few years ago. i think that's out of the park though?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 6:41 am 
Ski, where is your proof that the Oso slide was caused by a timber sale? I have never heard that as a final cause from any geologist. Let's not get that mixed up in this. I looked it up in my Forest Practices Illustrated book and the buffer meets the requirements. For state and private, there is a 50 foot no cut area on each side of a fish bearing stream. Then more buffer that machinery must be kept out of, but a few trees taken out of. I suspect that is just a map of the harvest units. No roads or landings. Landing locations can be changed, and for the better sometimes, if the logger has different equipment...like a bigger yarder than the planners used. The leave trees could blow over. Then they become rat logs (down, woody material). The units will be replanted as required by law. I'm not sure what the contour line intervals are, but much of that doesn't look overly steep. I noted that instead of using the normal "old growth" description, the petition mentioned "old" trees. The document mentions 70 year old trees which would mean the area either burned in the past or was harvested 70+ years ago. I'd like to know which before getting all worked up. Were slides a problem in the past? Loss of property values? By golly I should be in panic mode if logging causes that to happen. Our community has units in plain sight all over the place. I have not noticed any drop in property values. In fact, according to the county assessor, values have gone up. I think my "next door" neighbor is going to log this fall. Should I be panicking? rolleyes.gif Would the Sky Valley go for having their property taxes raised to make up for revenue lost if the timber sales were thrown out? And finally, when does it end? What and where do folks want timber harvest to occur? It can't be done in a "pretty" way on a large scale, and nature sure doesn't worry about visual quality--think windstorms, slides, floods, volcanic eruptions. At the rate folks on here seem to want to go, we'll be importing more lumber from countries that have NO stream buffers, or laws, but I guess that's OK because it can't be seen from here.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 9:28 am 
Quote:
"...proof that the Oso slide ..."
there is none. you and I both know that. same as Boistfort. that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (including some here) will continue to insist that it was caused by logging, ergo: DNR's fault. they don't need the PR hit. contour intervals on that map are 40 feet. unit #1 appears to be a 70 year (or older) stand. Schroder mentions above some of the area was cut in the 1950's but doesn't specify exactly which parcels. I'm surprised the buffer's only 50 feet on a slope above a Class I stream. if that's the reg, that's the reg. still seems a bit sketchy to me on a slope, though: the northwest corner of Unit #1 and the top end of Unit #2. again, however, not knowing the area makes it a bit difficult to armchair it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:18 am 
That's a 50 foot no cut, except for corridors and road crossings. This timber is left on site--not yarded in. Then there is an inner zone, which for a river would be a minimum of 100 feet off that 50 feet, where 20 trees greater than 12 inches DBH per acre must be left. It looks like they want a feathering effect with the cut getting lighter as one gets closer to the no cut zone. then we have the outer zone, which is a minimum of 50 feet wide, where the same amount and size of trees is left, but these can be dispersed or clumped throughout the 50 foot space. From a yarding perspective, it can be easier to work around clumps of trees, than single trees. Clumps are also more wind tolerant. All of that is a minimum. Now, out to take a kayak deck apart. Bah. down.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:58 am 
Ski wrote:
Schroder mentions above some of the area was cut in the 1950's but doesn't specify exactly which parcels.
You can see the age of the trees from the parcel map. The west half of Unit 1 was logged in the 1930's, the east half and all of Unit 2 was logged in the 1950's. Unit 3 was also logged in the 1930's and 1950's. I remember driving up May Creek Road in the 60's to the top of Wallace Falls and the entire area in these units had been just been replanted in the previous decade.

goldbarchuck

goldbarchuck
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 pm 
I received an end of the legislative season email from our local representative, he featured a photo of Wallace Falls in his newsletter. These falls are an iconic view from US2. I see it like preserving the Mona Lisa and only trimming out her eyes with an dull exacto knife. I think the DNR has done a disservice by not showing the limits of the logging on an oblique aerial photo so the average person can put it in perspective. The element that needs to be remembered is that the roads built for this lower sale are intended to provide access to a future timber sale higher on the hill side. Thanks for those that read this thread. I have my photos and plan at least one more photo excursion next fall when the water flow returns and before the chainsaws do their work. I once heard that Ansell Adams was in favor of a cable car to the top of Half Dome, he had his iconic photo. I watched as it took forty years for the management errors on the I-90 corridor to greenup and actually blend. Hike on.

Wear sturdy boots and carry water Gold Bar Chuck
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 8:59 pm 
goldbarchuck wrote:
I watched as it took forty years for the management errors on the I-90 corridor to greenup and actually blend.
I hear you. Only 30 years for me but it's very different now than it was. Now the word used is "thinning" for the health of the forest and that may well be true. I don't think we'll see Gardner and Humpback scalped again.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 6:56 am 
Management error? How so? At the time, those areas were managed for timber harvest. It was reforested successfully, right? Eyesores? Doesn't cut it if you want wood products. Thinning is not the right prescription for every piece of land.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 am 
I think the management error of clear-cutting heavily along I-90 is the amount of anti-logging sentiment that it generated among folks that might otherwise know or care about such things. From a rational perspective logging those lands may have made sense, but the emotional and political fallout for timber concerns was much greater than the value of the timber felled. IMHO anyway.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 8:03 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I think the management error of clear-cutting heavily along I-90 is the amount of anti-logging sentiment that it generated among folks that might otherwise know or care about such things. From a rational perspective logging those lands may have made sense, but the emotional and political fallout for timber concerns was much greater than the value of the timber felled. IMHO anyway.
I think there is something to this. Call it a "PR error" if you'd prefer, TW.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 10:43 am 
to be fair: maybe my memory is failing me, but... wasn't a good part of that cutting up along I90 done by Plum Creek prior to the big land swap deals up there? I have to wonder if assigning all the blame to DNR (or NFS) is perhaps just a wee bit misguided. (I may have my wires crossed here... not really awake yet.)

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 am 
Regardless of who did it, my sense is that the result impacted attitudes towards logging by various parties.