Forum Index > Food & Grub > New to dehydrating
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 10:29 am 
I am leaving in 20 days for a 12 day backpacking trip to the Frank Church and also the White Clouds. Just got back from a family vacation to the Badlands, Custer State Park, Bighorn NF so I'm behind on meal planning. I want to dehydrate my meals hopefully. I've tried using the search button, mixed success. :/ I *think* I have the basic gist, but I'd love some tips. Sabar? hockeygrin.gif Anyone? I can ask a friend for their dehydrator, but I don't think they have any sheets. Suggestions? I hope I'm not too late to start. Planned meals: spaghetti, mac n cheese (don't judge), stroganoff, chicken stew, for starters.

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 11:02 am 
you will find my spaghetti recipe here as well as several other recipes. sarbar was a great help in that learning process. she would prepare the pasta ahead of time, though - I haul in dry pasta and cook it in camp. (requires more water and more fuel, however.) there's a nice-looking "Nesco" dehydrator for $20 on Craigslist right now. just go to the main "for sale" heading and search "dehydrator". there are others as well, but if I was buying one today, I'd probably go with that Nesco. sheets? use parchment. Costco. huge roll. cheap. or any supermarket, but you'll pay a little more for it. sarbar's website is here my guess is she'll chime in when she sees this thread. in the meantime, the search function (at top) is your friend. and no, you're not too late. the process went way faster than I had originally expected, as I noted in the thread cited above.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm 
Thanks, ski! (Craigslist for Spokane?) Yeah, I searched, and found some. I will definitely check sabar's site. smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:13 pm 
oops! no.. Seattle/Tacoma Craigslist... assumed you were local. guess that's what I get for making stupid assumptions, huh? they're on there frequently, though... there was a really nice one (5-tray Nesco) the other day for free. go figure. check out sarbar's pages, and the thread I cited above - and there's a couple others with some good tips. it ain't rocket science. it was all way easier than I had originally anticipated. just remember to go easy on the salt!!! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:25 pm 
Holy cow, that thread goes on for ages! Can't wait to read. Also, your idea of a 'little Parmesan' is the same as mine. up.gif Oh, and what about couscous? Heard it's a great thing to cook on trail. Never used it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 12:53 pm 
couscous? good stuff. couldn't be easier. just add boiling water and a little salt, cover, let stand 5 minutes. done. a little heavy, but fuel/water required is minimal.

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 pm 
Oh yes, I remembered the other question: What was the consensus on bags? I remember reading about whether you had to buy special bags to rehydrate or could double bag freezer ziplocs?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 2:11 pm 
Drying is pretty simple - it just seems harder is all! smile.gif Tip: Go buy a roll of parchment paper at Costco. Cut one sheet as a template to the dehydrator trays, then cut a ton of sheets. Use these to line your tays (keeps food from falling through, and with thick liquids (sauces). For the basics: http://www.trailcooking.com/dehydrating-101/ At the bottom of that page is links to all the dehydrating pages on my site smile.gif Note: I like drying single items best, but that is me - I use them at home as well. Love having dried veggies, fruits, pasta, etc on hand!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.