Previous :: Next Topic

Have you ever hiked in Converse?
Why yes, I have!
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
No, I have not
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
I have conversed while hiking, does that count??
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

touron

touron
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 pm 
Converse to release a more comfortable Chuck Taylor
Quote:
Converse Inc. of Boston hopes to change that Thursday, when it is expected to unveil a new version of the 98-year-old shoe. The updated sneaker will merge the old shoe’s classic exterior with a more modern, cushioned interior engineered by Converse’s parent company, Nike Inc., according to retailers with knowledge of the product. Boston Globe

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 pm 
Taryn Luna, reporting for the Boston Globe wrote:
The Chuck Taylor has long been one of the most popular sneakers in American culture. It’s also been among the least comfortable.
hogwash. I've hiked (with a full pack) a lot of miles in Chuck Taylors. But, some genius has to do "new and improved". Maybe Nike hired somebody from Yahoo or Flickr? I have three pairs: one shredded beyond recognition (painting and staining and pressure-washing), one shredded but still identifiable as footwear (yardwork), and one fairly pristine pair (fishing, stream-wading, hiking.) Have never found anything as comfortable for being in and out of a river all day long. The New Balance "Minimus" did okay last year, but came apart in less than 20 miles. (Haven't tried out the replacement pair yet - waiting for a fire to go out.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 pm 
My nb minimuses have held up well apart from the unbearable stench. But that can be said for every synthetic piece of footwear I've ever owned. The stench part that is. They are extremely comfortable.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 pm 
they were okay, but the hi-tops keep the gravel out a little better when I'm in a river all day and they provide a better grip on slippery rocks. reason I went with the NB shoes was weight- hi-tops are probably about four or five pounds soaking wet.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm 
Yup the nb's are great river shoes and remain very light when wet and are somewhat resistant to gravel when laced tightly. But they don't breathe very well. The thinner soled keens work well for me too and are also very light but zero gravel resistance makes them really annoying for anything other than quick stream crossings.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 10:48 pm 
Does anyone have an pair of these left in the back of the closet? Did once upon a time they have an arch? Too long - can't remember.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 11:29 pm 
not much of one, no. when they're brand new they kinda-sorta feel like they have an arch, but some serious pounding carrying a pack will take care of that in fairly short order.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 am 
Bob Marshall, a legendary long trail hiker, could knock out 30 mile days. He wore canvas tennis shoes because they dried quickly. I wonder if they were Chucks? Tom

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 pm 
Anyone else buy one of the custom color scheme pair?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 pm 
doesn't look like they're available in a 13. my newest pair is black with red lining - that's all they had in stock that day. really doesn't matter what color they are when they're all covered in mud, though.

touron

touron
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 7:19 pm 
It is ultimately the color selection that achieves this shoe its victory. One could go hiking in the ALW with maximum party size of 12, and each person in the group could wear a different color of Chuck Taylors.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.