Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Was there a L.O. above Dorothy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 pm 
I didn't think I'd have a cadastral survey map because Lake Dorothy isn't in the Middle Fork but it's inside the same township as Snoqualmie, Deer and Bear Lakes. You can see on the survey map above there are two cabins by Lake Dorothy and another by Snoqualmie Lake. The latter one survived into the 50s, at least in the form of a shelter. The 1930 Kroll Atlas map shows the hatchery as well. Note how the survey map has a much more accurate representation of the trail than the Kroll map, which is just a swag of a trail going through there somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a wire all along this trail, although I've never seen any of it when I've been there. You've got sharp eyes. There was wire all along the Middle Fork trail to Goldmyer and some still exists, as well as wire running up the Pratt RR grade to connect to the ranger station that used to be near Pratt Lake.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 8:32 am 
puzzlr, you're worth your weight in gold. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

zimmertr
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 9:08 am 
Old maps are priceless. That Cadastral is fantastic. The trail in 1924 is VERY close to the current alignment. I would pay good money to see any old photographs of that hatchery on Dotty.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am 
OK so I just spent 50 bucks to renew my Alumni dues at the UW so I can bring home some books they have at the Allen/Suzzallo libraries. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 am 
My Dad was a foot patrolman in the Middle fork valley in 1937 and 1938 (in 1939 he moved up the ladder to be the lookout at Kelly Butte!) and he talked to us in detail about life up there. There was a lookout up at Nordrum Lake area (not sure exactly where) which was on the phone circuit with patrol cabins in the area at Pratt River, Snoqualmie Lake, etc. All of them were hooked together with the single-wire "ground wire phone system" that Dad said didn't work super well. Wouldn't surprise me if the network extended over the divide to Dorothy and down to Skykomish. He said that movement was tough-- they used "speeders" on the logging railroads for some of the areas, but the rest was on foot. So often you'd find yourself first on a fire and by yourself for a couple of DAYS before a fire crew arrived...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 pm 
ScouterJohn, you and your dad would be the most popular guys at the dance, next time we have one. Thank YOU and your pop! up.gif I met a LO from Kelly Butte who was there one summer during WWII. I wrote an article about him and others, for WTA's magazine a few years ago. I'll have to dig it up.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:32 pm 
^ and thank you ScouterJohn from me also! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:45 pm 
Just a thought concerning the Cadastral Survey map - remove the text on the bottom, have it printed on some paper about 15x22 (USGS topo sized), and get it framed. Make a nice gift for the map lover familiar with the area.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jan 10, 2023 7:45 am 
It's interesting that old map shows the hatchery location