Forum Index > Trip Reports > Vesper Pk. North Face, The Ragged Edge 7/29/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 1:24 pm 
Vesper Peak
Vesper Peak
Vesper Peak is one of my favorite local ski tours and I do it at least once a year. It's a great little mountain that has it all - graceful form, great views, reasonable approach, and good granitic rock. Last spring I finally spent the night on top and got some good sunset-rise pictures. Back in the day I soloed the standard route on the north face (not recommended), so when I read about a new route, The Ragged Edge, on the upper north face I figured I had to try it. Hats off to the first ascentionists who braved lichen crusted rock and sketchy pro to put up the route, but even more I'd like to thank Darin who returned to clean and retro-bolt it. It's still got a bit-o spice at the grade (I wouldn't want to be padding up the heather hummocks on the last pitch on a wet day) but it is a very reasonable 5.7 alpine romp for the mortal weekend warrior (or fat old climber getting off the couch).
I talked my friend Tom into accompanying me as a 60th birthday present. It was harder getting him to put on the red t-shirt I brought along for photos, but he reluctantly agreed. I thank him for making the day a total success - this climb is incredibly photogenic and I wouldn't have felt like I truly succeeded if I hadn't gotten some good shots. He also let me lead the whole thing so I had great views looking down on him with the broken glacier below.
Approach Trail
Approach Trail
The TRs on CC didn't exactly explain how to get to the col where you traverse out onto the face. I've climbed directly up from the lake on chossy rubble before and didn't want to repeat that, so we kept following the climber's trail until ~5800 ft. where we traversed hard right with a bit a friction scrambling to the col. I changed out of my hiking boots into light approach shoes and left some food, water, and other items near the trail to lighten my load. We both climbed with packs to hold our shoes, water, and extra clothes.
Upper Slopes of Vesper
2 labels
Upper Slopes of Vesper
Approach to climb
2 labels
Approach to climb
The ledges out onto the face are exposed but easy. I was glad we'd given it another day to dry out after the recent rains though (the whole climb would be much tougher if damp).
View from Col
1 label
View from Col
Approach Ledge
Approach Ledge
Approach Ledge from 1st belay
2 labels
Approach Ledge from 1st belay
We decided to do the original first pitch start, which wasn't bad. There is a new two pitch alternative to the right, but by that point we realized we'd better get a move on and just finish the route.
The Ragged Edge
The Ragged Edge
Stellar 3rd Pitch
Stellar 3rd Pitch
I'd made a rough sketch as a guide, so had a bit of trouble finding the right way on the 4th pitch, but the cool ledge I ended up traversing at the start of the pitch reminded me of a mini Thank God Ledge on Half Dome.
Nearing The Edge
Nearing The Edge
The 5th Pitch Traverse
The 5th Pitch Traverse
Last pitch - easy but runout at the top
Last pitch - easy but runout at the top
Last moves up heather
Last moves up heather
After a bite, drink, and repacking on top we were off for the long rocky descent which our poor old knees demanded we take slow and carefully. Tom says this is his new least favorite trail.
Descent from summit
5 labels
Descent from summit
We passed some incredibly loud marmots screeching a protest at our trespass.
Angry marmot
Angry marmot
We were both pretty sore by the time we got back to the car around 9, and we still are two days later! Hope you think it was worth it Tom, it sure was for me. I'd rate this the best moderate technical climb up The Mountain Loop up.gif up.gif
Sun sets behind Vesper
Sun sets behind Vesper

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm 
Thanks for sharing some wonderful pictures from a side of the mountain most of us haven't seen. Sounds like a fun adventure.

gneiss

gneiss
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 1:46 pm 
Nice! I did this last summer and led every pitch, it's an amazing climb in an awesome position! up.gif

Shred

Shred
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 am 
Nice one! Looks like a fun climb. Did you have the face to yourselves?

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 am 
Jeff, from the TRs on CC it sounds like the word is out on this climb, and of course this TR will pile on. We were lucky enough to have the whole mountain to ourselves on a mid week day. Met a couple hiking up who hung out at the lake, then 3 young guys passed us on the way down from the pass, but we only saw marmots and flying ants on the mountain. Here's a trip down memory lane for you that nicely shows the route.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Aug 02, 2015 7:13 am 
Very nice, although I'd be even more impressed if you'd managed a ski descent. hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Kenji

Kenji
PostSun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 am 
nice shot of your buddy; makes me want to get back into climbing...
Jim Dockery wrote:
Stellar 3rd Pitch
Stellar 3rd Pitch
Looks like you could have skied before climbing, maybe next year?!

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 am 
Kenji, This climb makes it worth strapping on the harness again. I've always wanted to ski down the glacier to Copper Lake, but never have. I'm pretty sure Shred has. Next spring I'll have to get an early start one day and do it.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 3:08 pm 
That looks like a great climb. Thanks for putting together those route beta shots. up.gif

gavastik

gavastik
PostSat Aug 08, 2015 7:39 pm 
Great TR, thank you! Did you need crampons and ice axe?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Aug 08, 2015 7:55 pm 
gavastik wrote:
Great TR, thank you! Did you need crampons and ice axe?
If you approach from the hiking route and traverse west, there should be no need

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 08, 2015 9:00 pm 
James, youre a Krazie Klimber, but you shoot great pics. Be careful out there. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
radka

radka
PostSat Aug 08, 2015 11:15 pm 

The future is yard birds
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 pm 
gavaskik, no snow on route at all. radka, it is definitely 5.7 (topo ratings are true) and pretty consistent mid 5th, but not too strenuous - most of the time it isn't very steep. There are good footholds if you look for them, pro is good too, but a bit runout at the top where it is easier, but not trivial. The exposure on the traverse above the overhangs is thrilling, but could get to you if you let it. I'd think if you've been doing alpine 5.6 and 5.8 or more in the gym, it should be a great climb.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 11:04 pm 
Nice job, and great photos. I'm especially impressed that you got your partner to wear a red shirt just so he'd show up in the photos.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien