Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Craggy/Eightmile 6/8/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 3:02 pm 
On Sunday, Martin S., Tom S., Don B., and Fay were all the team to get up to do these two peaks. Weather was pretty nice. Mostly very high clouds with interspersed sun throughout the entire day. We left the hairpin around 7:30 just below the trailhead for Billy Goat pass—you could not drive any further due to the amount of snow on the roadway. We walked up the valley and it was pretty good. Some boulder hopping at the beginning, and some scree later on. We teased our way up finally hitting the stream coming out of No Dice Lake. At times I was annoyed at the amount of brush but around 6200 feet snow became constant and relief was experienced. From No Dice Lake we went almost straight up and left following a very loose large gully. Climber induced rockfall was popular and reminded me of Jack Mountain, but not as steep. The summit is left of a tower that is “yellowish” at the head of the large gully. We reached the top around noonish and were surprised to read a “Roperesque” register explaining a route John R had taken up from the east with Grant M. We did not know they did that route. I had only heard of Mitch B./Greg K. coming up from the couloir we did and the Goodman’s route on the north ridge. We carefully came down the couloir and went up the west side of No Dice Lake. Working our way around the hillside we eventually spotted a minor nonobvious couloir just south of the Eightmile/West Craggy couloir. From there we followed the ridgeline for the most part to the summit, except for one section where we were just west of the crest. Some class 3, but that was as high as it got. The summit was an impressive point for seeing all three Craggy summits. Great views. We left north following the ridgeline and that was a great part of the traverse to point 7756. After that we hit a snowslope and then went down a couloir just slightly to the west of the main ridgeline that was full of snow and was glissaded. We then hit a boulder field and tried to work our ways over to an arm that would direct us to Eightmile Pass. At some point Don and Tom went up and over this arm back down to the valley while Fay, Martin, and I were below this arm in a funky and weird kind of dried creekbed confluence that had a trail in there. Interesting. Anyway, it was a short jaunt up to where we intersected the trail right at the Eightmile Pass. We all got out to the car at 6:30. About 6 miles with about 5600 feet of gain.
Eightmile North Craggy
Eightmile North Craggy

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 3:38 pm 
up.gif Sounds craggy !

Living in the Anthropocene
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 pm 
This was an outstanding trip. I really enjoyed the ridge traverse on Eightmile Peak. The views of the Pasayten, the entire Craggy complex, the majority of the Lost River Gorge, and the rest of the N Cascades from the entire ridge were unexpectedly superb. The glissade down was effortless, and it's not too far back to the car from there. Top that off with good company, and you have a five-star outing. up.gif I'd also like to add that on the approach, I did a bit of a variation. I departed the group at about 5,000' and climbed straight uphill to a rock spur (minimal brush). From there I climbed about 400' of class 3-4 to the N Ridge. I checked out the N Ridge (more 3-4), but it was covered in fresh snow and it looked like it needed a rap off a tower halfway through. Either way I wouldn't do it without a rope. From here, I dropped onto the W Face of N Craggy and traversed on the 7200' contour (fairly solid), meeting up with the rest of the group in the ascent gully. I believe Martin said he was going to post photos.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 8:29 pm 
Great stuff Stefan. I wub.gif the Methow and Paysaten.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:33 pm 
Nice dudes. Wish I would have known North Craggy was a Top 200 when I was there!

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 pm 
Randy, it would make for a nice combo along with Sherman Peak, another T200 nearby. One day do Eightmile/N Craggy, the next day drive down the road to the other side of Sherman and climb it.

Martin S

Martin S
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 10:23 pm 
Here are a few pics from the trip:
N Craggy (L) and Big Craggy (R).  Ascent of N Craggy is via the obvious gully.
N Craggy (L) and Big Craggy (R). Ascent of N Craggy is via the obvious gully.
Scrambling up N Craggy
Scrambling up N Craggy
Fay on N Craggy summit; W Craggy in background
Fay on N Craggy summit; W Craggy in background
Lunch atop N Craggy
Lunch atop N Craggy
Summer in E. Washington and winter on the N face of Big Craggy
Summer in E. Washington and winter on the N face of Big Craggy
Frozen No Dice Lake
Frozen No Dice Lake
Eightmile Peak
Eightmile Peak
Don descending N Craggy
Don descending N Craggy
Eightmile Peak summit ridge
Don, Fay, and Tom on Eightmile Peak
Don, Fay, and Tom on Eightmile Peak
Summit ridge, Eightmile Peak
Summit ridge, Eightmile Peak
Lost River gorge and Lost Peak
Lost River gorge and Lost Peak
Glissade tracks down the N side of Eightmile Peak
Glissade tracks down the N side of Eightmile Peak

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 12:15 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Randy, it would make for a nice combo along with Sherman Peak, another T200 nearby. One day do Eightmile/N Craggy, the next day drive down the road to the other side of Sherman and climb it.
Let me know if anyone decides to try that combo. I also would like to do those two.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
cartman

cartman
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 12:56 pm 
Martin S wrote:
Here are a few pics from the trip:
N Craggy (L) and Big Craggy (R).  Ascent of N Craggy is via the obvious gully.
N Craggy (L) and Big Craggy (R). Ascent of N Craggy is via the obvious gully.
Very funny.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
it would make for a nice combo along with Sherman Peak, another T200 nearby. One day do Eightmile/N Craggy, the next day drive down the road to the other side of Sherman and climb it.
Thanks for the recommendation Tom. North Craggy and Sherman are the plans for the weekend.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 pm 
Great, have fun Mike. Thanks for bringing back the memories of this trip from 7 years ago! Stop by if you go through Wenatchee.