Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Did anybody ride Hurricane Ridge yesterday (8/2) ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 12:19 pm 
It was closed off to cars for half (?) the day. I knew this was an annual event but forgot the details and only heard about it this morning. Ironically I was riding on Rainier yesterday. Would love to see pics and hear stories if any nwhikers rode the Hurricane?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 1:19 pm 
silas rode it. he's a beast.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 1:24 pm 
martin s. rode it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 2:11 pm 
Hopefully they'll log in and share their pics and stories. 5,240 feet in 17 miles. eek.gif Kind of intimidating.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 pm 
And for an extra bonus continue on past the lodge to the Hurricane Hill Trailhead and back to the lodge before descending to Port Angeles.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 2:39 pm 
iron wrote:

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 8:15 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Hopefully they'll log in and share their pics and stories. 5,240 feet in 17 miles. eek.gif Kind of intimidating.
Back in my cycling days of the early/mid 90's I'd do this as a training ride about 10-14 days before RAMROD. I'd park at Dungeness Spit to give myself a 16 mile warmup before the climbing started. The worst part is about 2 miles near the beginning (more like 7-8%), then it's a pretty constant 5% ish grade as I recall that you can get in a rhythm to climb, and you can't beat the coast back down... Always solo on a weekday. What little traffic there was seemed more in awe of someone riding a road bike up. It made any climb on RAMROD seems not so long.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 pm 
I rode it a couple weeks ago from Sequim. There's a nice bike trail from Sequim to Port Angeles. Long climb. Traffic was light (on a weekday). Unfortunately, it was the one day this summer that was cool and cloudy down low, but sunny up high.

Martin S

Martin S
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 12:07 am 
It was my first time riding the Hurricane and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Will probably do it again. I have a distaste for sharing winding mountain highways with distracted drivers (lost a friend that way) so the opportunity to ride one of the most scenic roads in the state when it's closed to cars is a real treat. I made it to the top in 2:15 and was back down to my motel with plenty of time for a shower before the 11:00 checkout. The downhill was a hoot but on the verge of being too fast for comfort. Maybe next time I'll rig a drogue chute so I can slow down and enjoy the scenery. Dang, Silas was there? I wish I'd known that. I could have had him pull me up.

"nothing's for certain" took the elevator down while "anything can happen" climbed the stairs - Ryszard Krynicki
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 7:43 am 
It was the weekend for mountian climbs, there was an event Cle Elum to Blewett Pass on Sunday I dont remember that the Hurricane road has a lot of shoulder like the Blewett Pass does. A lot more tumbled rock on the upper stretch as well well do to all who rode Oh I see now the road was closed, that makes a whole lot of difference

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 11:40 am 
tigermn wrote:
Always solo on a weekday.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Still have a few months before the rains come. I haven't done much bike climbing lately. Bunch of 2K days and one 3K on a mountain bike (Miller Peak) a few months ago. Should I go out and make sure I have 5K in me before I try it, or is it safe to assume I'll be able to pace myself? (I'd hate to have to turn around before the top.)

reststep

reststep
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 1:20 pm 
If you have been doing a fair amount of riding I would say just pace yourself and take some breaks along the way. Also there is a way of using what amounts to the rest step on the bicycle and that might help. If it is a cool day take some gloves and jacket for the ride down.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Badger

Badger
PostTue Aug 04, 2015 9:12 pm 
I surfed Chaos- does that count? clown.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:56 pm 
I've done it a few times - once early on a nice weekday in September, and again last summer for the Ride the Hurricane event. Both were quite fun. Almost went back this year, but stuff on the home front kept me on this side of the water. It has a really nice grade IMO. I love both the climb as well as the descent - it's the sort of grade where I enjoyed pedaling much of the downhill, and rarely felt a need for the brakes. Cyclopath - I think "time in the saddle" is probably your best friend for this ride. If you've been doing some long rides, including at least some climbing, I bet you'll be surprised at how well it goes for you. The first time I did it, I was surprised how OK I felt at the top. OTOH, I definitely had that "have ridden" feeling that night! And I'd second reststep's suggestion of taking at least a jacket and maybe also gloves. It can of course be a lot cooler at the top than it was when you started at the bottom on many days.
RandyHiker wrote:
iron wrote:
It's nice to see a pic of Silas hugging some guys instead of his hugging young women schtick!
Director of Fun gets rib therapy
Director of Fun gets rib therapy

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 8:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Should I go out and make sure I have 5K in me before I try it
If you have done several 3K rides, especially on a mountain bike, you can do 5K up Hurricane Ridge. "Start slow... and taper off" (Walt Stack)