Forum Index > Trip Reports > Santa Ysabel E. Open Space Preserve, w/Cow Encounter 8.22.15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm 
Last wknd. I decided to go into the higher hills & check out the east end of the Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve. I needed more of a 1/2 day hike in order to make it to a party back in town in the evening. This place fit the bill. A few yrs. ago I checked out the west end, now it was time to see what the 79 staging area had to offer. I arrived in the early morning to find an empty parking lot, & lots of trailhead signs. up.gif
TH
TH
TH signs
TH signs
TH signs
TH signs
Map
Map
Map
Map
The morning was warm but tolerable, & I slowly made my way up the old road. My plan was to do the small loop & take a break @ what sounded like a cool viewpoint.
In the preserve
In the preserve
Big oak
Big oak
Oaks
Oaks
As a rounded a curve, I encountered a white cow on its way down. I gave it a wide berth & continued on as it eyed me suspiciously. paranoid.gif
White cow
White cow
Views opened up to the SW.
Gettin' some views
Gettin' some views
Lots of dry grass
Lots of dry grass
I reached a junction & turned right, to make a counterclockwise loop, w/the viewpoint supposedly somewhere in the middle. So far I had seen no one on this hike. up.gif up.gif
Junction
Junction
Big oak
Big oak
I got to the next junction partway through the loop; turning right would commit to a much longer hike, & left would continue around the short loop. Given my time constraints & the heat, I stuck w/my plan of the short loop. There was a shaded picnic table in this area, which I might have photographed if it hadn't been for a parks 'n rec truck suddenly barreling up the road, kicking up dust in its path. A guy jumped out, said hi, grabbed what looked like a water trough for cattle, & took off in the direction whence he came. Gotta love these hikes along old rds. that may or may not provide a sudden surprise of vehicular traffic. rolleyes.gif I continued along the loop, keeping an eye out for the side path to the overlook. The only thing I found that was more or less in the right area turned out to be a gated side road that stated it was closed. D'oh! frown.gif down.gif
Is this where the viewpoint is supposed to be?
Is this where the viewpoint is supposed to be?
So, I continued on until I found some big rocks in the shade where I sat down for a snack.
On break
On break
I continued on downhill, soon reaching the 1st junction again.
Tree # 256
Tree # 256
View to the SW
View to the SW
Just about the time I thought I was going to successfully complete another hike w/seeing no other peeps, suddenly there were 2 parties w/2 peeps each...1st mtn. bikers coming down & then 2 guys hiking up. Near the trailhead I saw a white cow...perhaps the same one, perhaps not...who can really tell? hmmm.gif
The same white cow?
The same white cow?
Route
Route
Since I still had some time, I decided to check out the nearby Inaja Monument & Trail. This is a super short, 1/2 mile touristy thing that I never bothered to visit before since it's not really worth it unless combining w/another hike in the area. Or, if you're a lazy tourist I suppose... wink.gif
Sparse sign board @ the Inaja picnic area
Sparse sign board @ the Inaja picnic area
Inaja Memorial
Inaja Memorial
I think I'll manage to not get lost
I think I'll manage to not get lost
Upper SD River
Upper SD River
Looking down into the upper SD River
Looking down into the upper SD River
Views
Views
Scope
Scope
Places seen through the scope
Places seen through the scope
Looks like it's a big natural toilet
Looks like it's a big natural toilet
Looking down inside
Looking down inside
On the "toilet"
On the "toilet"
Picnic area
Picnic area
I stopped @ the bakery in Santa Ysabel for stuff to bring to the party, then headed back to town. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:31 pm 
so... are all the trees numbered like that? can't tell for sure on the cows... maybe if you go back and get some more photos I might be able to tell if they're the same. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:53 pm 
I only noticed the one numbered tree, but I think I've seen other numbered trees in various places in the past. confused.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.