Forum Index > Photography Talk > How much have you spent on photography in your life?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 5:37 pm 
I don't even want to know! I am down-sizing right now... trying to get rid of anything I own that doesn't have value or meaning to me... trying to get rid of tons of clutter and humongous piles of stuff. In regard to photography, that means selling vintage film equipment and going through boxes and boxes and boxes of 35mm slides and prints. I was brutal. I threw out well over a thousand slides and sold vintage lenses and camera bodies and accessories for pennies on the dollar, just to be rid of it. I don't mind if someone else can make a few bucks off my stuff, I did my research and got what I consider to be fair prices for an expedient sale. I even returned two recent purchases to Costco that weren't exactly what I wanted... even after a fair bit of use in the field. It's been tough, but it's been liberating, too. Mountains of weight are coming off my back. I'm not done yet, though, not by a long shot. (Tons of antiques still to be sold!) But I am getting close to finishing up on photography stuff and I am left with a few random thoughts: 1) Wow! I've spent a lot of money over the years on photography, and I'm not even what I would consider to be a "serious" photographer. 2) A lot of the photos I took were meaningless. Shots of the Parthenon on an overcast day... who cares? The photos I was most likely to keep were of friends and family, not places I've been. 3) But there were exceptions, too. While going through my slides from a two-month trip to Baja in 2000, I was struck by how great my photos were, even though I shot them with a crappy waterproof point and shoot! By contrast, my photos from a 5 month trip to AUS and NZ in 1984 and a 3 month trip through Europe in 1993 were pretty mundane. Not much there of interest at all, really. And I was lugging around 20 pounds of photography gear back then, too. Go figure. 4) Thank God we're all digital now! Digital clutter is a problem for some, no doubt, but it is absolutely nothing compared to physical clutter. I do not miss film photography one tiny bit! I commend all you who pursue this art for whatever your own personal reasons. For me, it's just the challenge of capturing a special moment and also to help me remember the wonderful things I've been able to see and do in my life. Our friends and family have no idea how much time and money we spend to produce these photos, but they always like to see themselves and their lives chronicled, as well. Especially now in the age of Facebook. (Thank God for selfie sticks... let them snap away!) What are your thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 6:19 pm 
I sure wish I could get a digital back for my Mamiya 7// because the lenses are awesome and it is incredibly light for a medium format camera. I've been pondering clearing out some of this sort of old gear, but at this point I short of enjoy it as "collectibles." And maybe someday I'll want to use it hmmm.gif suuure.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm 
I don't really want to think about how much I've spent lol! All I'll say is that the profits of many summers of hauling hay in the blazing heat have disappeared down the bottomless well that is photography equipment! I never really experienced the age of film photography, for me it's been digital all the way. Digital storage of photos is indeed preferable to film, sorting and storage can still be problems, but with Lightroom and other software the sorting problem can be largely solved. I have collected several boxes worth of old lenses and film camera bodies from my relatives who no longer have any use for them, and I one day hope to use some of the lenses on a digital camera. If, that is, I can find one that does well with old lenses; I've heard good things about Sony's new A7 cameras in this regard. Even though 75% of my photos are technically junk, and only a fraction of that can be considered good, I could never bring myself to delete any of them. They are memories; with almost every one I can bring back vivid memories of the time when I took it. Frankly, I take so many photos that if you lined them all up by date in a gigantic flip book you'd have a startlingly complete stop-motion movie of my life!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 6:51 pm 
too much. 20 years ago I was spending maybe $200-$300 a month at R&K photo in Auburn for film/processing/cropping/printing/enlarging. sold the whole set up (two Nikon FG20 bodies with an assortment of lenses and other accessories) for $150 to a guy in Lakewood who sells the stuff on EBay. after that: went with a $150 digital Nikon "Coolpix" point and shoot that's set on "full auto" - I still haven't read the instructions - seems to take decent pictures - only additional expense has been for AA batteries. cheap! it works! takes pictures! I'm not Ansel Adams - I don't care!! gets the job done.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
touron

touron
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 pm 
Less since Ivey Seright closed their doors.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 9:34 am 
Ski wrote:
cheap! it works! takes pictures! I'm not Ansel Adams
It costs $$ to have a darkroom and cameras and be good. I couldn't afford it if I had other interests like skiing, boating, backpacking etc.. Something had to go and it was the photography. Send a post card instead.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 10:58 am 
fairweather friend wrote:
2) A lot of the photos I took were meaningless. Shots of the Parthenon on an overcast day... who cares? The photos I was most likely to keep were of friends and family, not places I've been.
My girlfriend and I spent the past weekend in Winthrop. The valley lost power for a few hours and we saw smoke in the distance, but it wasn't very bad. It got much, much worse a few days after we left. Right now the fire is in Twisp, not Winthrop, but that can change quickly. She's afraid one of our favorite spots might burn down. A couple days ago we sat down and looked through all the photos from the weekend. We picked out the best handful and emailed them to some friends, but we spent most of an hour looking at each of them. We re-lived a lot of the trip. Most of the photos will never grace a magazine cover, but if one of them gets her to exclaim "Holy crap, I can't believe you got in that water, it was so cold!" it's worth it to me. Personal value trumps financial value.

gb

gb
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:01 am 
I had a few relatively inexpensive film cameras back in the day, the best of which were a pair of Rollei's. I consider my photography to be analagous to my travel diaries and have continued that record from the early 70's to the present. Over the years I collected 20000 slides (appx), which means I probably shot 60000 at considerable expense - around $15 per roll. Beginning in 1982 I gradually outfitted myself with a Nikon FE and a number of premium primes (about $2500); thought I'd never change. Photography became an artistic outlet as well as documentation. But in 2014 I gave in to digital and purchased an Olympus EM-1, choosing this time mostly zooms, which are in this age, higher quality than my Nikon primes were. I just completed my Olympus gear with the Olympus F1.8 fisheye and used it the past couple of days with great satisfaction. So, I'm about 6 grand into Olympus, but my pictures and capabilities are so much better than with my old Nikon gear; I'm very pleased. So far with Olympus I've kept about 5000 pictures, which probably means I've shot around 15000-18000 just in 1-1/2 years. Much cheaper than film, which would have been $2500 just for the 5000. Of course, were I still in film, I would have shot but a fraction of that....the photography with the Olympus gear is much more enjoyable. And I've cut my photographic weight from about 15 pounds to between 3 and 6 pounds, saving weight on lenses and on the tripod, with the obvious improvement in quality.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 2:24 pm 
I try not to think about it (and could never calculate it after 45 years). I've also had three camera bags full of gear & film stolen out of cars (only once covered by insurance) bawl.gif Like gb I took a lot of slides BITD and have gone through and tossed thousands of those (I also had a Rollei 35). When I first got into digital I thought I would save money over film after the initial investment, but I'm afraid that even though I fight it (often for years) I'm susceptible to the Moore's Law of digital photography - the improvements each year put your mid level camera down into the lower tier and the new latest and greatest is simply amazing! I read too many photo web sites and magazines rolleyes.gif I'm a tech nerd who has always wanted to achieve the high standards of the past masters whom I've greatly admired, most of whom shot 4x5 or 8x10 film. For my 60th birthday I finally got a full frame camera (Sony A7RII) and don't have any more excuses (technically).

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:32 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Even though 75% of my photos are technically junk
Well, that is approximately 24% better than me! 1% at best. How much spent? Yikes, Medium format 5x7, 4x5 though both were used so it wasn't horrendous, stumbled into the lenses at bargain basement prices, so when I sold them I MADE money, but developing those behemoths was horrendously expensive! Time consuming as well. Digital... Well, hrmm. Haven't purchased much and that which I have done so is used. No sense buying new. Stuff is progressing so fast it is ridiculous. As soon as one buys it it is out of date and worth half what you paid for it. Though last couple years everything has plateaued as not really interested in video and by the time I by "new" 2nd hand gear at bargain prices, the video tools for easier manipulation will be more readily available at a fraction of the cost. Honestly, not sure why anyone would buy a new camera when an amateur. Professionals on rare occasions actually wear their cameras out. Everyone else? Dream on. Its more ego induced than anything else.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:39 pm 
Jim Dockery wrote:
For my 60th birthday I finally got a full frame camera (Sony A7RII) and don't have any more excuses (technically).
Yes, but do you print any of them LARGE? hockeygrin.gif If not, may as well go with a cell phone... rolleyes.gif huh.gif Even cell phones are producing meeehhhh pics now. Some might even nudge, meh territory. I will never carry a full frame camera again. Expensive, heavy, and pics are no better than smaller cheaper lighter cameras for OOCJPG, especially when one adds focus stacking, RAW stacking, HDR tonality curves etc, unless you are going to turn into a pixel peeping whore. As far as I am concerned there is one reason and only one reason for a 35mm camera equivalent DOF or medium format. Stock studio photography

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 9:51 pm 
spamfoote, In most respects I agree with you on the waste of money and weight going full frame for most people, esp. if all you are doing is jpg, web viewing etc.. That was part of why I held off for so many years, but yes, I do print large (I've done panoramas up to 6 ft. across) so more pixels are better, and can allow you to crop after capture and still have a printable image. Also the latest full frame cameras are much better dealing with noise, which aids in astro photography, which is one of my main interests. I have yet to make what I feel is a truly great star/landscape and that is one of my photographic/hiking goals which this new camera should help me realize. If you are happy with your cell phone though more power to you! You'll certainly save $$, weight, and time.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 pm 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Also the latest full frame cameras are much better dealing with noise,
You need say nothing more. That is always true no matter what. Why I never buy new. Tech gear lust. Glad someone does and enjoys themselves. After all that is what 99% of what photography is. Maybe I will buy your used gear. Who knows... hockeygrin.gif At least the camera is light; and then I remember how large and heavy those lenses are... huh.gif No free lunch. Not even for dumpster divers. waah.gif Of course in 'x' amount of time a new m4/3 sensor will come out with vastly increased pixel density and dynamic range and then what will you do? Gotta save weight and buy new all over again so a couple years after that you can sell it to me, dings and rub marks all. hockeygrin.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am 
Well, the newest (last few years) full frame cameras have finally crested a meaningful threshold with respect to taking night photos - allowing for photos that simply couldn't be captured in the past. If big prints and milky way shots aren't a big deal to you, then don't waste the $. But after being quite willing to watch the generations of new features pass me by, this latest generation pulled me in due to hitting this threshold. Some people spend discretionary $ on things like boats, cars, clothing, cooking gear, etc. I get a good deal of enjoyment out of photography, so I don't feel at all bad about the total $$$ I've spent over the years. I'm sure glad there are folks like you who help keep the prices up for when I sell my older gear wink.gif . Though I now see that I could go much lighter with the Sony mirrorless full-frame system, I'll stick with my big-ass SLR for some time for the shooting where the sensor will really matter to me. At some point I'll weaken and go for something along the lines of the Sony that Jim got, but not for a while I think. Here's an example of a shot that I couldn't have gotten with my older gear, either film or digital, nor with my newer compact digital which has a great sensor for a compact:
YAB-2
YAB-2
Maybe not amazing, but it pleases me to have taken this shot. That said, my last magazine sale was shot with my little Lumix LX5. It wasn't National Geographic (though the magazine's editor described it as "the National Geographic of Oregon" wink.gif ).